Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

The Co-Bos were regular performers 'over the roof of England' double-headed on the 'Condor' container-door-to-door  service in its early days (i.e. early 1960s) and they possibly worked passenger trains as well but I've never heard anything definite about that.  Somewhat unreliable machines but they had a certain look to them - probably because they were so 'different' although their Crossley 2-stroke engines were good at putting out smokescreens.  I had a few runs behind them, including one on the Lakeside branch :O 

Edited by The Stationmaster

Quite true, the windows did keep falling out, so they changed the design.

I had to have one for two reasons,: 1 they are butt ugly, so they appeal to me, 2 the factory where they were built was in Srtockton, about 3 miles from where I live ( I used to drive past it every day on my way to work)

Pictures of moving loco's will be posted some time this weekend, (after I've edit out jeffs fingers, clockwork keys and trained rats in special harnesses!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The Co-Bos were regular performers 'over the roof of England' double-headed on the 'Condor' container-door-to-door  service in its early days (i.e. early 1960s) and they possibly worked passenger trains as well but I've never heard anything definite about that.  Somewhat unreliable machines but they had a certain look to them - probably because they were so 'different' although their Crossley 2-stroke engines were good at putting out smokescreens.  I had a few runs behind them, including one on the Lakeside branch :O 

Yes, Al was telling me about the Condor service, but I never realised what the Con Dor bit referred to.

I wouldn't say they are ugly - I really like the look of them and the deep green livery appeals. I'll add one to my list, methinks!

Btw, Al? Rats? Apart from the 25 you brought over, I didn't see any of your pets. Pity - they are lovely!

Will be good to see your vids...

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Here you go guv - not exactly the best pic in the world (I wanted to get both signalbox and loco for the price of one frame) but here is D5712 dropping back to its stock running-round at Lakeside on 11 August 1963.  Oh my that's very nearly 50 years ago - but I was a youngster at the time I took this one ;)

post-6859-0-25621700-1361011671_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Excellent! You did get around the place Mike!

So, now I have a link to Stockton, Barrow (my hometown), the Lakeside route.... what's to stop me getting one and inadvertently detouring to Kirkby Luneside?

If anyone can find a photo of a 28 on the S&C, that'd be magic!

Al - what have you started? You do this all the time.....  :sungum:

Jeff

Morning Jeff

Admit it! You don't really have a chance do you? What with us bunch of Luney's on here and Al on your doorstep! Remember this is railway modelling therefore fun. The idea is you buy one first then invent excuses for having one (or two) after

Enjoy

Bill

There's a link to the magazine article on here:

http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/d5705/start.html

Which details a trip over the S&C.

I have a pair, one of which is now a 3-BO only, as the space was needed for fitting smoke generators...it's about 1/2 done, I need to get some 12V (vice 16V) smoke generators for it.  (Seuthe one fitted doesn't smoke on my DCC as I run it at a lowish voltage)

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's a link to the magazine article on here:

http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/d5705/start.html

Which details a trip over the S&C.

I have a pair, one of which is now a 3-BO only, as the space was needed for fitting smoke generators...it's about 1/2 done, I need to get some 12V (vice 16V) smoke generators for it.  (Seuthe one fitted doesn't smoke on my DCC as I run it at a lowish voltage)

James

James, that's a really good link with lots of detail on preserved D5705. Thanks very much.

Hattons have 3 variants in stock, the preserved version being the most expensive. I'm waiting for the re-vamped Bachmann class 40, so if the non-sound green liveried 40 is issued in the next month I may buy a 28 as well.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Metro-vicks were trialled on the S&C too....

Andy G (who has a HD one sat in my locker!)

Well Andy, I hope you are correct!

Enclosed are a couple of not-very-exciting photos showing that some bus-wiring has, indeed, taken place.

The second photo shows the first 2 Cobalts linked into the track bus. These can now be checked for polarity switching.

The Lenz control gear is now back in the house - but before I disconnected it (takes all of 20 secs to re-connect) I ran my only sound loco - a class 37 - up and down the yard, making siren and choo-choo tractor noises. Fantastic!

post-13778-0-09974500-1361038456_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-50388400-1361038464_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

8 pages !!!! :O..It's been a marathon effort catching up with this but I'm there now, Phew.

Great work again Jeff and it looks as how I imagined I hoped it would, as I was reading it I thought 'No', 'Too steep' or wondered if it looked right or not but I see everyone has kept you on track and the result is perfect. Just need that green stuff on now that Andy is always on about.

Well done on also getting something running, always a satisfying moment.

I hope to stay tuned in for a good while again now and eagerly await more updates.

Oh, and as for Diesels, not really favourites of mine except for the Deltics which I grew up with and have fond memories of.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

And there I was thinking that DCC was supposed to reduce the amount of wiring.....

I was thinking the same!!

I've now connected 14 pairs of droppers and 2 Cobalts to the bus. By my reckoning, that leaves 37 Cobalts and 70 more pairs of droppers to solder on. Never mind, there is no rush!

Just imagine all the section wiring that'd go everywhere with DC!! The DCC wiring really is VERY simple.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

8 pages !!!! :O..It's been a marathon effort catching up with this but I'm there now, Phew.

Great work again Jeff and it looks as how I imagined I hoped it would, as I was reading it I thought 'No', 'Too steep' or wondered if it looked right or not but I see everyone has kept you on track and the result is perfect. Just need that green stuff on now that Andy is always on about.

Well done on also getting something running, always a satisfying moment.

I hope to stay tuned in for a good while again now and eagerly await more updates.

Oh, and as for Diesels, not really favourites of mine except for the Deltics which I grew up with and have fond memories of.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

The complication of the removable corner - with the curved backscene - has been solved. It's being permanently fixed in place. I have a very nifty scheme to allow access to the viaduct and it solves loads of other headaches...

Here's another - not very sensational - pic of the (plastered) hillock... the white really does cause problems for distinguishing detail. Must get some brown paint soon!

I'll be integrating all this into the right side of the valley in the near future - though I'm having a few days at my dad's shortly, in order to have a break.

post-13778-0-08981000-1361039372_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

Re the Co-Bos, their main workings prior to wholesale storage in 1960/61 were on the St Pancras - Manchester line and, as mentioned above, over the S&C with the daily Condor container freight service.<br /><br />After reincarnation and banishment to the district around Workington and Barrow, their appearances over the S&C would have been rare.

Edit - Don't you just love those <br/> and other little messages that periodically crop up in one's text.....

Edited by Western Sunset

• RMweb Premium

Re the Co-Bos, their main workings prior to wholesale storage in 1960/61 were on the St Pancras - Manchester line and, as mentioned above, over the S&C with the daily Condor container freight service.<br /><br />After reincarnation and banishment to the district around Workington and Barrow, their appearances over the S&C would have been rare.

I noticed they'd been "banished" to Barrow and the west coast area. Did they ever transport materials (as part of Condor) along the S&C? 1961 is just a bit early for me... though I read they were taken out of service between 67 and 69.

There's something about the model that appeals to me. As soon as Al took his model out of the box I wanted one!

I have the Hattons page open as I speak. Now - do I go for D5700 (all green, as Al's) at £98, preserved D5705 at £125 or green/yellow D5707 at £100? Quite fancy the latter....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

To all Lunesters,

I've been neglecting my duties. I forgot to put the updated Lunester post count on here. As of Thursday, upto and incl. post 4200...

AndyP  320  /  Andy(uax6)  229  /  Jason  177  /  Jonathan  138  /  MichaelW  121  /  Mike (Stationmaster)  102  /  Peter  97  /  Larry  96  /   Rob(Robmcg) and Scott  74  /  Jim  67  /  Bill 65  /  Polly  62  /  Mike (Mike61680)  59  /  Billy B  58  /  Chris and GordonS  47  /  Duncan  46  /  John (Allegheny)  43  /  James  40  /  Ian  37  /  Al  34  /  'Chard  31 ...

All hail to Old Lune!!!  (Btw, sad old Master Lune = 1913).

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Right Jeff, they were all transferred en-bloc to Barrow (from store) in January 1962 - apart from D5719 which pioneered the way a month earlier.

They were tested over the S&C prior to introduction (as have so many other classes of locomotive) in the middle of 1958. Introduced between July 1958 and October 1959, their regular workings over the S&C with the Condor would've been in 1959 and 1960.

Final withdrawals were in September 1968 so they only outlasted steam by a month.

• RMweb Premium

Peter, that's great.

So what I will do is create 2 or 3 scenarios - a small tweak in cars etc should do the trick. I'll run my main era at 1964-1966ish, but have another set between 1958 - 1962. Still steam late-crest, so that's ok.

I'll just have to check on diesel stock available for the earlier period!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

I seem to think that the reason 5705 is more expensive is that they (Hattons) were donating some of the dosh from it to the restoration group.  That's why I bought one of them...I wanted one with the wrap-around windows, but Hattons changed their minds about making them.  I know that in full size, the windows fell out, and didn't seal at all well, but those problems don't affect a model much !

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To all Lunesters,

I've been neglecting my duties. I forgot to put the updated Lunester post count on here. As of Thursday, upto and incl. post 4200...

AndyP  320  /  Andy(uax6)  229  /  Jason  177  /  Jonathan  138  /  MichaelW  121  /  Mike (Stationmaster)  102  /  Peter  97  /  Larry  96  /   Rob(Robmcg) and Scott  74  /  Jim  67  /  Bill 65  /  Polly  62  /  Mike (Mike61680)  59  /  Billy B  58  /  Chris and GordonS  47  /  Duncan  46  /  John (Allegheny)  43  /  James  40  /  Ian  37  /  Al  34  /  'Chard  31 ...

All hail to Old Lune!!!  (Btw, sad old Master Lune = 1913).

Jeff

This is all very good Luney stats stuff, Jeff. The question I have, is where are we getting the time to do our modelling if we're spending all our time watching and reading about yours?

Hope you Lunesters didn't mind my interruption re my Heljan Class 33.  Definitely not a 28 or GWR but I do see it one day behind a Black 5 or Brit on its way from Great West Road Railway Centre to Carnforth to be prepared for a summer tour to Carlisle on the S&C via Kirkby Luneside fast forward to 2000 and something.

Any signs of a video yet, Jeff?  Can't wait to see your rolling stock in action.

Cheeky monkey Lune

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Polly.

I didn't film yesterday's "action" - you'll have to wait for Al ("Schubert") to post his edited version - hopefully tomorrow.

I'm going to spend a few hours tomorrow doing some more soldering. If I can connect up some more of the turnouts I can check their polarity switching - at that point locos will be able to escape from the fiddle yard!

What is your (anybody else is free to comment) experience of Heljan locos? My loco stock is around 80% Bachmann, 20% Hornby.

Jeff