Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Coming along great, Jeff.  I like a bit of geology so there'll be smidgin of it on Great West Road - not a lot   :sungum:

Saw a layout today that has given me a few ideas how I might landscape the shallow hillside but I will be keeping a keen eye on how you do the 'garden of Eden' bit.

Coffee, now, then sort out some exhibition stuff.

Have a good day in the Bunker tomorrow.  I'll be thinking of you while I'm dressed up for the Arctic in the Slate Museum   Yep, Arctic+ boots, several mid layers + winter coat + scarf and (when not operating) occasionally the gloves.  Might resort to bobble hat tomorrow..... :jester:

+ Arctic = just a fashion name - feet were still getting cold (I'd put that down to the slate floor) but the boots did keep the legs nice and warm though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Polly. I've just been in the bunker to add a bit more mod-roc onto a section of the hillock.

2 jobs tomorrow...

First is to plaster all the top areas that have been covered in plaster bandage.

Second is to connect several of the fiddle yard dropper wires to the bus, then the DCC Command Centre/Transformer to the bus. Clean the rails and hopefully something will move!

The time of "first powered wheel turn" will be documented for posterity!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Does that mean it's Lunester party time tomorrow ?

Duncan

If you wish to celebrate, you are free to do so. Just don't do anything naughty or Andy Y will be on your case!!  :O

Once I've checked a few lines and run a couple of locos in the yard with my old mate Al, then it's back to the scenics.

Jeff

• Like 1

How many Locos do you need, The more the merrier.

Jeff just playing the new game of catch up after an evening out and it is coming on well, I was going to mention the ampmeter but someone has already mentioned it.

I didn't realise you had such a good loco fleet, So when I build my Steam Depot I can relie on you for stock at Northern Exhibitions then :no:

This is a really good thread and always an interesting bedtime read.

Great stuff all.

Old Lune, snoor snoor :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How many Locos do you need, The more the merrier.

Jeff just playing the new game of catch up after an evening out and it is coming on well, I was going to mention the ampmeter but someone has already mentioned it.

I didn't realise you had such a good loco fleet, So when I build my Steam Depot I can relie on you for stock at Northern Exhibitions then :no:

This is a really good thread and always an interesting bedtime read.

Great stuff all.

Old Lune, snoor snoor :sungum:

That list is only the Midland or some of the BR Standard stuff. I have to admit to having quite a number of LNER locos, including my favourite Peppercorn variants.

I've even got 2 of the "Great Gathering" A4s on order.....

However, redress will be made with more S&C stuff as it becomes available... 2 x 40s, another Brit, 4Fs etc.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Welcome to the Dark Side, Jeff!

Cheers Scott,

I'm just trying to recall.... An A1, A2, K3 and the 2A4s on order. No DCC A3s - I've an old "Flying Scot" (tender driven).

Just remembered my 2 Duchesses - though I don't think they'd be heading up the S&C.

Yes, Michael - you have a joyful time ahead of you as you discover the "wonder of the kettle"!!

Jeff

Yes, Michael - you have a joyful time ahead of you as you discover the "wonder of the kettle"!!

Jeff

So I'm finding out - spent some of this evening when I should have been sleeping trying to find information about Glaswegian depots.  Corkerhill sounds interesting...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Polly. I've just been in the bunker to add a bit more mod-roc onto a section of the hillock.

2 jobs tomorrow...

First is to plaster all the top areas that have been covered in plaster bandage.

Second is to connect several of the fiddle yard dropper wires to the bus, then the DCC Command Centre/Transformer to the bus. Clean the rails and hopefully something will move!

The time of "first powered wheel turn" will be documented for posterity!

Jeff

Oooooohhhhhh!   :yes:

Young Lune

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tim Easter showed me how to make some relatively easy mods to the Hornby Black Fives to make them look a lot better, including sorting out the odd shelf on the tender chassis (incredibly simple to resolve) and I will be having a go at some point. He is writing an article for BRM on how he did it but when I have a go, I'll post up progress shots so you can tackle yours too Jeff. 

p.s. You need more Black 5's and 8F's :)

Morning Jeff,

Just caught up with quite a bit of activity that was on-going during my sojourn to sunny Gateshead for the day yesterday. Sandside, I will be very interested in your Black 5 mods, I take it you will not be using the Brassmasters' detailing pack? Larry (Coachman) did some surgery on a Black 5 of his so will be interested in seeing how things turn out. My Hornby 5's front end swings wildly when in motion and I would think it would take some engineering to sort it out. When my BM 5 is finished the Hornby will be going spare so it will be interesting to see if I can make it into something useful.

• RMweb Premium

Morning to all.

First batch of plaster is setting on a hilltop - though it takes the best part of a week to fully dry out. Back in the house for my caffeine top-up!!

Nothing exciting to report. At least I've had the sense to wear some gloves to do the job - my fingers bear testimony to my previous stupidity. You think I'd know better!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning to all.

First batch of plaster is setting on a hilltop - though it takes the best part of a week to fully dry out. Back in the house for my caffeine top-up!!

Nothing exciting to report. At least I've had the sense to wear some gloves to do the job - my fingers bear testimony to my previous stupidity. You think I'd know better!!

Jeff

Well Jeff, you're a physicist and not a chemist, after all, but at least you could have learnt from previous experience, isn't that what you have been telling your students all these years?

• RMweb Premium

Well Jeff, you're a physicist and not a chemist, after all, but at least you could have learnt from previous experience, isn't that what you have been telling your students all these years?

Ironic, as Chemistry was my first love. And experience is certainly a useful taskmaster!

Plastering done for today - it'll probably take until early next week before the stuff has thoroughly set. I'll post a photo when it dries a bit - it looks horrid and slimy when wet!

Time for coffee, then a bit of soldering...

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff,

Just caught up with quite a bit of activity that was on-going during my sojourn to sunny Gateshead for the day yesterday. Sandside, I will be very interested in your Black 5 mods, I take it you will not be using the Brassmasters' detailing pack? Larry (Coachman) did some surgery on a Black 5 of his so will be interested in seeing how things turn out. My Hornby 5's front end swings wildly when in motion and I would think it would take some engineering to sort it out. When my BM 5 is finished the Hornby will be going spare so it will be interesting to see if I can make it into something useful.

Have a look here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/62/entry-3478-kyleskus-black-fives/

It's quick and dirty, but does the job. Otherwise check out my Highland loco thread to see how to do the job properly (although I'm not doing a black five yet!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

If the first train is a diesel, please clip him round the ear !

Just so you know (smug mode on), the first loco to run on Bacup was an L&Y Pug :P

Remember Jeff, Diesels make the Baby Jesus cry.

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I feel honoured to be guest of honour at the inaugural train on KL, I might have to put my best bib and tucker on for the occasion!

Do I need to bring a symbolic golden track pin?

If you turn up in your best bib and tucker I'm not letting you in!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The first wheel turned under DCC on KL at 17.34 today.

As I said I'd do, the test vehicle was a class 9 shunter.

I've wired 3 groups of droppers (constituting about 8 of the 50 total pairs in the yard) at one end of the fiddle yard. The track was given a quick clean and the shunter set to a very slow speed....

Here she is:

post-13778-0-70986700-1360952502_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-15651600-1360952512_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-02543800-1360952522_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That's great to see Jeff but why no bottle of champagne smashing into it to mark its launch  :locomotive:

I did go to Tesco, but couldn't find one in a bottle that contained 1cl (1/76 scale - assuming a bottle of 750ml)!!

So I had a cup of....coffee instead!

Jeff

• Like 3

So I'm finding out - spent some of this evening when I should have been sleeping trying to find information about Glaswegian depots.  Corkerhill sounds interesting...

Hi Michael,

What do you want to know about Corkerhill, I spent most of my young life there hence my educational defficiencies but I did work out the equasion earlier: L=n+1 just brilliant.

Mike