Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

And I took this shot because Michael likes his views down the valley...

The hillock has the cutting on its far side and transitions into the valley side on the left, as you look. In the foreground (not built yet), it will gradually lower towards the station.

post-13778-0-71543400-1360776307_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Brill work Jeff,!

To my eyes that looks more beliveable. Is there any chance that you could take a piccy with a coach in the cutting, which would allow a bit of scale to be seen please?

Andy

Andy - check back in 15 minutes. Happy to oblige.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It works very well from along the valley, a definate improvement over mark 1.

I am concerned about that 2x1 though. It looks like it's going to stop the nice slope from the trackbed level down to the formers. sorry to go on about it, but from the valley shot it really does stick out.

But I'm loving the feel of Luneside now, it is beliveable and thats what we are aiming for after all.

Andy

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

It works very well from along the valley, a definate improvemnet over mark 1.

I am concerned about that 2x1 though. It looks like it's going to stop the nice slope from the trackbed level down to the formers. sorry to go on about it, but from the valley shot it really does stick out.

Andy

Yep, you are right. I'll modify it - no probs.

Good man!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Having that Mk1 in the cutting really makes the scale noticeable. If I were you I'd be very happy with the way it looks now.

You may want to do something about those ribs on that roof BTW! Oh and add some sleepers to the gaps too!

Andy

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

I was about to agree, the 281 must go :)

The embankment should slope away at 90 degrees to the track and merge into the slopes of the valley (which is running in the same direction as the track) and that 2x1 won't allow that, not unless the embankment will be a scale 2' high ;)

And I'll just bask in the reflected glory of my insistence that Jeff takes pictures along the valley - which makes it so much easier to see how the valleyside blends into the hillock...

Looking good Jeff.  All that work stripping things out was definitely worth it - just had a look back at the old pictures, and the difference is amazing!

• RMweb Premium

Having that Mk1 in the cutting really makes the scale noticeable. If I were you I'd be very happy with the way it looks now.

You may want to do something about those ribs on that roof BTW! Oh and add some sleepers to the gaps too!

Andy

The sleepers business is annoying. I was cutting the cork shoulder back the other day and overshot with the chisel - right into the track. I thought I'd have to lift the track and replace it, but all that happened was a couple of sleepers broke free (easy to do as the inner webbing was cut for the curve). I'll go round and fill in the gaps at some stage!

I'll have a look at the way the embankment slews away. The 2 x 1 wasn't supposed to be visible - initially it was under the baseboard. But I took the jigsaw to the board to cut closer to the viaduct - exposing the wood. Another easy fix.

Fairly pleased with how it looks. I'm actually going to build the whole of the right hand side of the valley, with everything joined-up, over the next couple of weeks. similarly with the left side. Access to the viaduct for track painting/griming/ballasting will be via the centre of the valley.

Jeff

ps. Please post any suggestions that come to mind. As always (!!), I reserve the right to ignore them - though I rarely do as you lot are mostly right!

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I knew I would have a lot of catching up to and it has been worth while, your mode are now working and it is worth the extra days to get it right, well done.

STILL NO GRASS THEN? :triniti:

Old Lune :sungum:

Thanks Andy. Just logged back in, hence the delay in my reply. I'll put some plaster on the structures tomorrow and build the next 80cm of the hillock. Then it'll be time to sort the embankments out on the right side of the viaduct.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

I have been (trying) to follow the arguments about the hillocks, but have struggled, either because I cannot visualise in 3D or my brain has gone addled like my wife said it would when I retired!

Just a thought.  If you remove the offending 2 x 1 and I assume that it is the one that was supporting the track board, then you will need to/ be able to remove the upright as well?  If that is the case can you move the two hill formers in front of it back a tad and show more of the viaduct pier, especially as the former in front of it is lower

I was just about to say it would look more prototypical when I 'internetted' Arten Gill viaduct and it looks more like you have it now.  I think what it is that I am 'jealous for your viaduct' and think it a shame if too much of it is covered up.

Sorry, this is the sort of viaduct I understand

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitmasterbloke/4524200672/

• Like 1

Jeff;

Major change of plan needed for K/L. 

I know you thought you had the contours sorted out, but I think this may change your mind.

You might need to extend the bunker slightly, but I've found you a new S&C viaduct to use:

gallery_703_59_45374.jpg

Richard Johnson's 4mm Ribblehead, Naval Base, Western Australia

(BTW: no photoshopping has been done with the above image!)

Cheers

Scott

• Like 6

Jeff;

Major change of plan needed for K/L. 

I know you thought you had the contours sorted out, but I think this may change your mind.

You might need to extend the bunker slightly, but I've found you a new S&C viaduct to use:

Richard Johnson's 4mm Ribblehead, Naval Base, Western Australia

(BTW: no photoshopping has been done with the above image!)

Cheers

Scott

I'm not sure if that would fit in the UK

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I have been (trying) to follow the arguments about the hillocks, but have struggled, either because I cannot visualise in 3D or my brain has gone addled like my wife said it would when I retired!

Just a thought.  If you remove the offending 2 x 1 and I assume that it is the one that was supporting the track board, then you will need to/ be able to remove the upright as well?  If that is the case can you move the two hill formers in front of it back a tad and show more of the viaduct pier, especially as the former in front of it is lower

I was just about to say it would look more prototypical when I 'internetted' Arten Gill viaduct and it looks more like you have it now.  I think what it is that I am 'jealous for your viaduct' and think it a shame if too much of it is covered up.

Sorry, this is the sort of viaduct I understand

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitmasterbloke/4524200672/

Thanks Chris, and you've partly pre-guessed what I'm going to do. I'm going to move the 2 x 1 to the back ok of the construction and I'm going to trim the hill formers that are directly in from of the right pier.

The construction that includes the 2 x 1 plays no part in track support - that's dealt with by the risers I put in in September (they are a mere 4 x 2!!). So it's easy to make the changes that you/me have thought of. And it'll allow the embankment to slope away more nicely from the track.

And no - you haven't become addled. I get confused about the scenery and I'm the one building it!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Certainly is an impressive looking structure.  The guy at the back seems to be thinking "You know, I don't think they've got the line of the embankment right, it needs to be a bit lower and a bit further back..."

Actually he's thinking - "oh sh*t, it's supposed to have 24 arches - and we've only built 23!!"

Very impressive. I modelled my viaduct on Ribblehead, but had to scale its height to 75' rather than the prototype 104'. You can see the height difference on Scott's photo. I'd have liked the space do do 9 or 10 arches (I did 6), but seeing that at the full 24 is wonderful. It even looks like it's got a slight curve to it.

Problem now is, it'll be giving AndyP ideas!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Now that is impressive. I don't think Jeff would be able to get it through the door. :jester:  Let alone fit it in the bunker.

Duncan

You are too right, Duncan. But I'd LIKE to get it through the door!!

can't see the 9F on that one either :no:

Daft old Lune :sungum:

No 9F, and no grass either, Andy. We spend so much time building the damned viaducts that we don't have the chance to do anything else!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Don't tempt me. I'm trying to avoid having "Duke of Gloucester" on my "to-buy" list - the list is too long already!

Haven't done much today - yet. But I've modified the valley profile a little to fit in with the embankment at the right. Pictures shortly.

Jeff