Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi Jeff

You do realise that the country will probably come to a standstill as Lunesters across the nation hover over their computers waiting for that 9F to trundle across the viaduct, don't you?

Now! Where did I put that flask of coffee and my sandwiches?

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, last night's fun was getting a couple of photos taken.  I put them up in Long Marton, as they are equally appropriate there as here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13244-long-marton-sc/page-4&do=findComment&comment=952956

(my pair of 28's, without the current train for them...)

James

This is just more temptation, James! I think I'm so far in now that there's now way to avoid getting at least one 28.

I won't go as far as the smoke units though.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

You do realise that the country will probably come to a standstill as Lunesters across the nation hover over their computers waiting for that 9F to trundle across the viaduct, don't you?

Now! Where did I put that flask of coffee and my sandwiches?

Bill

Morning Bill.

I'll be setting to work on the "offending" turnover in about 30 minutes. It's very awkward to get at, but with a bit of luck it can all be wired in about half-an-hour.

Unfortunately, there's no way for me to show a video. A few stills could be rigged, but whatever the "conspiracy theory" says, it'll be the first time the 9F has been on the viaduct!

Jeff

Morning Bill.

I'll be setting to work on the "offending" turnover in about 30 minutes. It's very awkward to get at, but with a bit of luck it can all be wired in about half-an-hour.

Unfortunately, there's no way for me to show a video. A few stills could be rigged, but whatever the "conspiracy theory" says, it'll be the first time the 9F has been on the viaduct!

Jeff

Is the offending "turnover" the customary apple, or perhaps [cobalt] blueberry? 

Shall you be setting to work on it with a spoon and custard, or perhaps ice-cream?

Inspired gourmands the world over await your news with baited breath.

Bon Appétit, non?

• RMweb Premium

You Aussies are far too cultured for a mere North Englishman, Scott!

Bon appetit certainly applies to my enthusiasm yesterday evening. I can't remember the last time I was actively working in the bunker from 10pm - 1am. Having said that, it was "noise-free" working - I'm sure the bunker is fairly well soundproofed, but I cringe at running a drill that late at night!

About time for breakfast here. And it's even relatively warm(!)... 8C for starters in the bunker this morning.

I wonder if "your mate" Electric Nose is going to show himself today? :sungum:  :jester: 

Jeff 

Cultured?  Not likely!  The only culture you'll find in our neck of the woods, Jeff, is in the youghurt.  Even our beers aren't live.

I noticed your late finish - well after I had settled down at work for my coffee - and did a double take; but I know what you mean.  I ran out of screws on Sunday, but would have kept going as I had a rhythm going and would have been quite happy to drill and tap away for a few more hours... but it was not to be.  I was so disgusted that I didnt sweep up - although I did stack the tools away, as it makes it easier to find everythign when I re-start.

Electric Nose...  You mean Comical Ali, Minister for Dis-Information?  Well you know he pops up at the first sign of propaganda....  

Enjoy your day - looking forward to the progress. Time for me to grab the train home, soon.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Excellent digital trickery, Scott....

I didn't make quite make it for lunchtime. But, with my brother in attendance - doing timing duties - the 9F crossed the viaduct at 13.23.

I've taken some stills. After the "historic" crossing, the loco was reversed to obtain "that shot"... Sorry, no video.

post-13778-0-28614500-1361197870_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-85490800-1361197891_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-61420000-1361197902_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-03735600-1361197910_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

Excellent Jeff.

The last photos is a stunner as it is. It'll be absolutely brilliant when the hills are finished.

Nicely done.

Duncan - Impressed Lunester

Edited by emt_911

Did this really steam over under its own power or are we back to conspiracy theories  :scratchhead:

Could be just another Photoshop project to fool us all  :no:

You did notice that we couldn't see the other side of the 9F. Just where the key goes :senile:  :jester:

Seriously it is a major step forward.

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Class 28.  I read on RM Mag tonight that the Class 28 in Hattons is of 1961 vintage as it has different windows from when they were first made.  I assume they were redesigned to stop them falling out!

Not sure how concerned you would be that it will be slightly different from the version that ran over the S&C?

Nice one Jeff

I wonder what you'll do next now though, but I think it will be more scenery rather than wiring as that is what you really want to do. Just getting some colour onto those hills will make a huge difference for a start and then maybe a bit of GRASS, that'll keep us all happy.

Great photo by the way, now we all know what you look like, not too sure about the uniform though!!

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Jeff

I wonder what you'll do next now though, but I think it will be more scenery rather than wiring as that is what you really want to do. Just getting some colour onto those hills will make a huge difference for a start and then maybe a bit of GRASS, that'll keep us all happy.

Great photo by the way, now we all know what you look like, not too sure about the uniform though!!

Jim

I normally look a bit neater than that! I'd been working in the bunker all day and couldn't be bothered to "spruce up" for Al's visit. I wasn't expecting to be photographed!!

The photos below now show the DCC active zone in the bunker - more than half the total!

post-13778-0-94820200-1361227358_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-16755200-1361227364_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Class 28.  I read on RM Mag tonight that the Class 28 in Hattons is of 1961 vintage as it has different windows from when they were first made.  I assume they were redesigned to stop them falling out!

Not sure how concerned you would be that it will be slightly different from the version that ran over the S&C?

Thanks Chris.

The solution has been to have more than one period on KL. It's nominally set for 1964-66, but it requires minimal changes to do 1958-61. Mainly the cars and the loco stock.

If you look back a page or so, Peter has provided me with the Leeds Holbeck allocation for 1960 - with Kingmoor to come. So I'll be ok with a 28 (or 2 for Condor double-heading) - windscreens or not!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know you were trying to delay the wiring to avoid temptation, but in my opinion you should continue round now so it is done and dusted. That way, at the end of each day, you can run a loco round as a reward ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good job I've been busy today - another 6 hours under the boards. I gather the forum has been offline since mid-afternoon? Anyone care to shed light as to why?

Just had coffee with my brother, looked at the site expecting nothing, and we're back on!

Jim - Plans for tomorrow - polarity check/fully wire up another 3-4 Cobalts and some droppers to the bus..... I'm actually quite enjoying it - now I know it works.

It didn't all go swimmingly today though - a lump of solder in the wrong place on a turnout (not my solder, I hasten to add) and a slightly twisted point blade rail caused the 9F to derail in reverse. Had to remove and replace the turnout and rewire the bl**dy thing. All good fun, really!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I know you were trying to delay the wiring to avoid temptation, but in my opinion you should continue round now so it is done and dusted. That way, at the end of each day, you can run a loco round as a reward ;)

Jason - I may well wire up the mainline. If I do that I'd need to sort out another 10 or so Cobalts. To date I've sorted 15/39. And btw, by pure chance you'd think I'd get half of those correct for polarity. Oh no! I got 4/15 right!!!! Ok, it only means I had to swap a red and black wire round, but I'm glad I'm not a gambler!

Bill - I even rang my brother (he lives across the road) to come and witness the Spaceship traversing the viaduct into the cut. I ran it through at a crawl - those Bachy 9Fs are superb models - not a judder. VERY exciting!

Jeff