Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Now the late 1950s opens up many more opportunities for other classes of steam loco.....

Oh dear, what have I started here from the master-archivist himself?

I seem to think that the reason 5705 is more expensive is that they (Hattons) were donating some of the dosh from it to the restoration group.  That's why I bought one of them...I wanted one with the wrap-around windows, but Hattons changed their minds about making them.  I know that in full size, the windows fell out, and didn't seal at all well, but those problems don't affect a model much !

James

Cheers James. I like the yellow-ended locos (on green) so I think I'll go for 5707.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

You could always get slightly ahead by utilising this resource http://www.railuk.info/

Very useful for steam and diesel allocation.

Duncan

I wondered where you'd gone to! And it's been uncannily quiet today - must be because the Old Lune is away exhibiting (that sounds dodgy!!)...

Thanks for the link. I've used that one, along with www.brdatabase.info/

Both very useful. Still waiting for any comments from Heljan owners. I know they had a nightmare with the motors on the 14, but aside from that I know little about their product (other than the reviews in Britain's Model Trains). Other Lunester comments would be far more helpful!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Been busy most of the day doing the things I've been putting off around the house.

The other thing I've been doing is researching different areas (south of the thames) for my next project. Most of the ones I'd like to do with lots of history and a decent amount of traffic have ended up being far too long.

I have to agree though, it is very quiet without the Old Lune.

Can't comment on Heljan as I don't own as single one.

Duncan

Hi Jeff,

looking forward to the 'video' ....will the Co-Bo be on it... Oh, sorry you haven't got it yet, well now your hooked on diesel types when you order it you will have to order a Midland Pullman also. They were tested along the S&C as were a couple of Class 15s D8200+D8201. You will have to add a small diesel depot under that hillock to accomodate all these snorting machines.

KL is coming on leaps and bounds, I wish I could say the same for Dent, spent the day Thermalite block building in 12" to the foot scale but fully intend to model something tomorrow.

Cheers

mike

Hi Jeff,

Re: Heljan

I have: 2 x Class 47, 1 x DP2, 1 x Falcon, 1 x Western, 1 x Class 15 and 1 x Class 17.

Had the initial problem with the Class 17 that most people had but it was replaced, all the others are pretty good although I have to omit the Western from this comment as its never been out of the box! These are NOT all for my S&C 'Dent' layout before I get a torrid of abuse.

mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike.

I've got some green-liveried Peaks ready for action. Also, a couple of the new class 40s on order, when they emerge. I very much like the green diesels - I've a few blue ones too, but the earlier livery does it for me.

KL is going fine. Especially as I've now started the very long task of bus-soldering. I'm going away for 4-5 days next week, so I'm hoping by the time I return I'll be ready to join-up and plaster the valley walls. Then the "fun" starts - more to be revealed later...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Re: Heljan

I have: 2 x Class 47, 1 x DP2, 1 x Falcon, 1 x Western, 1 x Class 15 and 1 x Class 17.

Had the initial problem with the Class 17 that most people had but it was replaced, all the others are pretty good although I have to omit the Western from this comment as its never been out of the box! These are NOT all for my S&C 'Dent' layout before I get a torrid of abuse.

mike

Don't worry about the abuse! If I mention that I've a Dapol Kernow weathered Western and a Kernow Warship on pre-order then they are hardly S&C either. They'll make "guest appearances". Must buy that Castle too - a Railtour job (in 1965???!!!  :O  :no: ).

Apologies - it was the 17, not 14, that caused Heljan so much pain.

I think I'll just order D5707 and be done with it!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

He's at it again, any excuse to get it out, or get it off!

Blimey 4-5 days away, it's going to be really quiet on here!

How about GT3 Jeff? That would be a nice one to kit bash!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

4 - 5 days without the Master Lunester, we'll be lost :O

Duncan

There is NO escape!! Despite the fact that my dad doesn't have an internet connection, I'll use my phone to keep my eyes on you!

Just looked up the 28 in BMT 2013. Referred to review in MR September 2011, then to a fuller article on the class in MR 97.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Been busy most of the day doing the things I've been putting off around the house.

The other thing I've been doing is researching different areas (south of the thames) for my next project. Most of the ones I'd like to do with lots of history and a decent amount of traffic have ended up being far too long.

I have to agree though, it is very quiet without the Old Lune.

Can't comment on Heljan as I don't own as single one.

Duncan

How about Kew Gardens?  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kew_gardens_station.jpghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kew_gardens_station.jpg

Mainline and underground with good looking station buildings including 'The Railway' with its arched window.  Then there's the distinctive footbridge, underpass and all that exotic planting.  And trains run frequently :sungum: .  You could even have the odd passenger carrying a large (souvenir) exotic plant from the Royal Botanic Gardens or the garden shop next door.

I indulge.  Hope you find somewhere soon - have you the latest 2-Bil in mind, then.  :D  

I'll quit, while I'm ahead.  :bye:

Indulgent Lune

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't why you are doing the research Jeff, Just buy the damn thing! (I would love the 15,16,17,28 etc, but can't justify the expense when I could build so many more locos and coaches for the money!)

Somewhere I have a pair of Hornby 29's that will be going back in time to become 21's (they did run in Scotland!) and I've an old Hornby 25 that is halfway through becoming an Inverness machine (lots of bodgery there!)

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Right Jeff, down to business.

Excuse diversion, above.  Lots of reminiscing there. (another story)

The Heljan runs fine but it hasn't been chipped yet so it hasn't done any mileage to speak of.

It look goods though.  :sungum:

Love at first sight - got it cheap at an exhibition. :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Now I want a 47. :rofl:

Greedy Lune

• Like 1

How about Kew Gardens?  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kew_gardens_station.jpghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kew_gardens_station.jpg

Mainline and underground with good looking station buildings including 'The Railway' with its arched window.  Then there's the distinctive footbridge, underpass and all that exotic planting.  And trains run frequently :sungum: .  You could even have the odd passenger carrying a large (souvenir) exotic plant from the Royal Botanic Gardens or the garden shop next door.

I indulge.  Hope you find somewhere soon - have you the latest 2-Bil in mind, then.  :D  

I'll quit, while I'm ahead.  :bye:

Indulgent Lune

I'm looking at something a bit further south. Something on the busy London - Brighton probably somewhere between 1948 and 1960.

Looks like I'll be jpoining the steam and green clan :O

Duncan

Edited for spelling

Edited by emt_911
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking at something a bit further south. Something on the busy London - Brighton probably somewhere between 1948 and 1960.

Looks like I'll be jpoining the steam and green clan :O

Duncan

Edited for spelling

Brighton Belle, then.  Exquisite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAkkfuS7u6s&feature=player_embedded

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Right Jeff, down to business.

Excuse diversion, above.  Lots of reminiscing there. (another story)

The Heljan runs fine but it hasn't been chipped yet so it hasn't done any mileage to speak of.

It look goods though.  :sungum:

Love at first sight - got it cheap at an exhibition. :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Now I want a 47. :rofl:

Greedy Lune

Ok Polly. Interesting - Al's 28 wasn't chipped so we ran it on address 0. Motor buzzed (as they do when run on DCC without a chip), but the loco was very smooth.

Will wait 'til I get back from Cumbria at the end of the week and order one. Something to look forward to.... along with the Western/Warship/class 40/A4s/4Fs.... bl**dy hell. How did I manage to avoid buying a single loco in 2012?

Answer.... I spent all the money on track and the bunker!

Thanks for the info.

Jeff

• Like 1

I don't why you are doing the research Jeff, Just buy the damn thing! (I would love the 15,16,17,28 etc, but can't justify the expense when I could build so many more locos and coaches for the money!)

Somewhere I have a pair of Hornby 29's that will be going back in time to become 21's (they did run in Scotland!) and I've an old Hornby 25 that is halfway through becoming an Inverness machine (lots of bodgery there!)

Andy

Hi Andy,

I hope you have more success with the model Class 21/29 than either myself of BR had. I absolutely detested working on those infernal machines at St.Rollox works, they were that bad I almost jacked-in my apprenticeship. The amount of self-tappers retaining the control panel covers must have added about half a ton to the gross weight!

Quite a few were to be seen in 65B (St.Rollox MPD) having suffered power unit fires - best thing for them!

Cheers

mike

Hi Michael,

What do you want to know about Corkerhill, I spent most of my young life there hence my educational defficiencies but I did work out the equasion earlier: L=n+1 just brilliant.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the offer - I suggest we move the discussion over to my 4MT thread so as not to clutter up Jeff's thread...

Though I am amused that now I've got interested in steam locos, Jeff is thinking a lot about diesels.  I suppose it keeps the universe in balance.  

Thinking of which, what effect does all that plaster in the bunker have on the earth's centre of gravity?  Is this why we've had two asteroids come visiting in the past few days?  Will we all start drifting towards it?  Is this why Jeff is taking a trip this week - visiting his father is jus a cover story for his gravitational experiments...

www.lunester-conspiracy.com

• Like 1

Thinking of which, what effect does all that plaster in the bunker have on the earth's centre of gravity?  Is this why we've had two asteroids come visiting in the past few days?  Will we all start drifting towards it?  Is this why Jeff is taking a trip this week - visiting his father is jus a cover story for his gravitational experiments...

It's not only the plaster, you have to factor in the two forests as well :jester:

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the offer - I suggest we move the discussion over to my 4MT thread so as not to clutter up Jeff's thread...

Though I am amused that now I've got interested in steam locos, Jeff is thinking a lot about diesels.  I suppose it keeps the universe in balance.  

www.lunester-conspiracy.com

If you look at Al's post #4259 from yesterday you'll see his reference to "secret marshalling yards" beneath Lune Fell.

In a previous life I was known as Ming the Merciless. I'm assembling my army of secret Lunesters to take over the universe. The meteorite that hit Russia was one of my experiments, fallen to earth as a result of a gravitational anomaly created by the super-dense plaster material in the bunker....

And don't tell anybody, but Adolf Hitler, Elvis Presley and Jim Reeves are alive and well, living on the far side of the moon (aka Morecambe, since Bill's looking in!).

It's also suggested that Jeff will be buying a Heljan class 28...

Who thinks these things up?? Add that to your Conspiracy Theory!!  :O  :O  :jester:

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

I'm assembling my army of secret Lunesters to take over the universe. ....

Who thinks these things up?? Add that to your Conspiracy Theory!!  :O  :O  :jester:

Jeff

Don't know about secret, but the Lunesters have deffinately taken over the asylum :jester:

Duncan - Plotting Lune :keeporder:

MichaelW said: Though I am amused that now I've got interested in steam locos, Jeff is thinking a lot about diesels. I suppose it keeps the universe in balance.

He's not the only one Michael. I popped into The Train Shop today and walked out with a green Class 24 and an eastern region Derby Lightweight (also green) to join my Class 28 Co-Bo. I think you might have started a trend here!

Hi Jeff

The Class 28 is a lovely runner. Two hours running in before I had it chipped and it's as sweet as a nut. A worthy purchase. After all they were an honorary steam engine. You only had to see the amount of smoke pouring out of the exhaust to see that as they pulled out of Lancaster on-route to Barrow, not to mention the great oil stains usually running down the side panels. Interestingly enough you'd quite often see the same loco returning in the opposite direction complete with train being hauled by a Jubilee or Black 5 so a good excuse for some unusual double-heading there.

I don't know about Presley and Reeves (I've had my suspicions about our Lord Mayors little moustache though) but I spotted some council workmen on the Festival car park today. I think they've found Lord Lucan.

To the hills and beyond!

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"What do you mean, Andy P..... "Flash Gordon approaching...."  ??"

"Open fire - all (PVA) weapons!!!!....."

(Quote from the annals of Jeff, son of Ming, the Merciless, AD 2013)

Ok, back to normality....

I've just sorted out the soldering for 7 Cobalts into the fiddle yard. With any luck I'll check the polarities of the switches/frogs in the morning.... then I might just force myself to run something out of the yard at that end. Now if I do the same at the viaduct end.... that 9F can cross the viaduct. Maybe in a week's time....

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Bill.

I liked the 28 as soon as I saw it and it was very smooth despite (I suspect) never having been run since Al bought it. I'm not up to fitting smoke generators, as James has done! Though Mike (Stationmaster) and yourself have stated the smoky nature of the beast.

Michael - I'm not new to diesels. Present diesel fleet consists of:

In Green:  1 x 8, 1 x 20, 1 x 24, 3 x 25, 1 x 31, 1 x 37, 2 x 45, 1 x 46, 1 x 47, 1 x 55, 1 x 108 (2-car), 1 x 108 (3-car)

In Blue:  1 x 8, 1 x 25, 1 x 37, 1 x 40, 1 x 44

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman