Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

I can see that now from those great pics on the previous page, that will look terific mate. :boast:

NOW I WANT A VIADUCT LIKE THAT, :jester:       20 arches, :jester:           track at eye leve,   :jester:          sweeping valley and a Mountain Stream. :jester:

OHHHH :O  I nearly forgot, a 9F with a 50 wagon fitted freight up behind, :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: look out T Gauge HERE I COME :nono:

Go Lunester Go :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I can see that now from those great pics on the previous page, that will look terific mate. :boast:

NOW I WANT A VIADUCT LIKE THAT, :jester:       20 arches, :jester:           track at eye leve,   :jester:          sweeping valley and a Mountain Stream. :jester:

OHHHH :O  I nearly forgot, a 9F with a 50 wagon fitted freight up behind, :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: look out T Gauge HERE I COME :nono:

Go Lunester Go :sungum:

It'll look terrific if I manage to build it properly!

Enclosed is the state of affairs ten minutes ago. Ply formers, graded in height and smaller than before - with relevant spacing between cut and embankment - glued down, awaiting PVA to set. Ignore the larger formers on the right edge of the photo - they are from "yesterday's version" and haven't yet been removed.

post-13778-0-13507500-1360688383_thumb.jpg

Andy - I wouldn't put it past you having a T gauge layout - you've virtually got the rest! How about a G gauge round your garden? You could drive around on it with the dog on its lead. You wouldn't have to walk then!

Jeff

• Like 2

Just to let you know.... I'm well underway with the alterations. I've made a few changes which I'll post later - if I get the chance.

I'm going to post this photo - again, not sure if it's copyrighted - it's from Visit cumbria, I think. If the copyright owner complains, I'll withdraw it. Arten Gill again...

attachicon.gifIMG_9752_48151_1Z22_ArtenGill.jpg

Jeff

The bumps or hummocks on the far side of the viaduct adjacent to the cutting are very likely the spoil created by the cutting. To my eyes anyway, since spoil was rarely moved very far by manual work.  Just a thought.

Bloody 'ell it's addictive, this thinking, I had better curb it.

• RMweb Premium

The bumps or hummocks on the far side of the viaduct adjacent to the cutting are very likely the spoil created by the cutting. To my eyes anyway, since spoil was rarely moved very far by manual work.  Just a thought.

Bloody 'ell it's addictive, this thinking, I had better curb it.

Yes Rob, I'm sure you are right. The shape of the right side of the cut in those photos is definitely not natural!

At some stage I'll produce a contoured map showing Lune Valley, Fell etc. The one shown earlier today by Dave, modified by Scott has made me think. I'm sure Jason will find it interesting too.

I've just been and marked up a load of formers for cutting and sticking in the morning. Hopefully, by the end of tomorrow, the hill structure from the viaduct upto the station will be sorted - including the embankment formers (front and rear, right end of viaduct). That's my target - let's see what happens!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just got in and caught up, great stuff mate.

Old Lune :sungum:

Cheers Andy.

Let's just hope I get somewhere tomorrow. I really would like to get a few wires soldered to the bus, but I can never leave something part done. So you'll probably see a few photos of white blobs of plaster tomorrow evening. If I create many more white plaster hills I'll have to borrow those sunglasses of yours! On my next B&Q visit I'll get a tin of cheapo brown emulsion and tone things down a bit.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I am out all day tomorrow so I won't get another chance to have a look now untill tomorrow night, so I will probably have a couple of pages to read through anyway. I am looking forward to seeing the changes mate.

Old Lune :sungum:

Hi Jeff,

Just trying to catch up.....Hills built.....Hills demolished......New ice age bringing new hills etc etc.

Now then apart from all that double work which I agree has been well worth it in the end the runaway cost of all that modroc must be a financial drag on other requirements, just a thought; why not lay strips of old rags over the formers to get a 'feel' for the look then allow the comments and suggestions to flow and alter them to suit before committing to the modroc, just an idea mate.

I have two principle hates in life...1: doing things twice (wife complains...but its my rule) 2: wasting my hard earned.

Cheers

mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Just trying to catch up.....Hills built.....Hills demolished......New ice age bringing new hills etc etc.

Now then apart from all that double work which I agree has been well worth it in the end the runaway cost of all that modroc must be a financial drag on other requirements, just a thought; why not lay strips of old rags over the formers to get a 'feel' for the look then allow the comments and suggestions to flow and alter them to suit before committing to the modroc, just an idea mate.

I have two principle hates in life...1: doing things twice (wife complains...but its my rule) 2: wasting my hard earned.

Cheers

mike

You are such a sensible chap, Mike! I can deal with number 2, but it's number 1 that REALLY irks me! I don't rush into things, but I generally hope that once something is done, then it stays done!

Which leads me to...

Jeff

I know I said that I would stay out of this part. After looking at the changes several times I think it's going to look more natural

Duncan

Why should you stay out of it Duncan? One of the worries that people have about starting threads on here is a fear of what other people might say. I've only been really narked on one occasion - I won't reveal what was being discussed, but it went on for days and I'd almost had enough - especially as it was on my thread and I wasn't really a part of it. However, when it comes to KL and what I'm doing then I'm totally upfront and want others to give me their objective views.

What I produced yesterday was WRONG and it was good that Jason pointed this out. I trust the views of a lot of experienced modellers on here, and I know that if they reckon it looks ok then it probably is.

Your comment about it looking more natural... Yes, I'd have to agree. I'm pleased with how today has gone because when I first went into the bunker I wasn't sure that changing it would make a LOT of difference. The difference is ENORMOUS and, hopefully when that section is completed, it'll LOOK RIGHT - which is the crux.

Dave and Scott's contour map sums it up nicely - I'll draw a definitive one in the next week or so. Scott has a bit of "inside" knowledge, based on our discussions, so his justification of my hillock/knoll was rather good!

In short, please feel free to comment at any time. It can be annoying having to change things (I uttered more than a few expletives!) but the end result is worth it.

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I stayed out of it as Dave and Scott had it cracked. They also managed to put into words and pictures what I wanted to communicate.

At least you're moving in the right direction.

Duncan

Yes. Generally towards the bunker!!

I seem to be living in there at the moment!!  :O  :O

Jeff (Bunkered-up Lune)

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Cheers Andy.

Let's just hope I get somewhere tomorrow. I really would like to get a few wires soldered to the bus, but I can never leave something part done. So you'll probably see a few photos of white blobs of plaster tomorrow evening. If I create many more white plaster hills I'll have to borrow those sunglasses of yours! On my next B&Q visit I'll get a tin of cheapo brown emulsion and tone things down a bit.

Jeff

I know the horse has sort of bolted Jeff, but had you considered adding some cheap brown poster/acrylic paint to your plaster mix - as opposed to painting it onto the hills post construction - so that it would not be like you were working above the cliffs of Dover (or Cerne Abbas!) when it comes time to do minor scenic mods later on? 

Not that the brown you end up with would ultimately be visible on completion, just that working on a brown hill may help with the visualisations when you are in the bunker, and be more durable as you go.  I'd be wiling to wager that the landforms actually look smaller when they are not a stark (plaster) white.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

Cheap Poster Paint.  Lots of cheap, not quite vivid green childrens water paint.  (mix black & green...to get something dark greenish).  Speaking of which, i need to go do some painting, now that the dust has mostly settled downstairs.  I hacked more of the 6' off of Bridge 253- I will post a couple of photos in Long Marton later.

It looks better with the shorter hills, and it makes more sense.

James

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff,

Seemed a good idea to use those temporary cardboard formers to give a feel of what the final structure would look like. Hope it will save you having to rip it all out again, but I must admit it does look better.

• RMweb Premium

The concensus is that the smaller hills and re-positioning make it look better. It DOES look better when you are stood next to it.

As for the plaster - the idea of colouring it was suggested many years ago. Every time I approach this kind of thing, I forget. However - and this may seem mad - there is something therapeutic about painting over the hills with a 1" brush, so I don't mind!

So far this morning I've cut out half-a-dozen formers. So work is underway. Guess what? It's coffee time!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Adding the colour to the mix is a great idea, it makes it easier to clean your tools as well as you can see where the muck is!

Andy, battling with bogie side control at the minute!

• RMweb Premium

Update: i've done about 5 hours work today, but it won't look like it!

First, here are a couple of pics of the right-side front of viaduct embankment formers.

A view showing the amount of first arch that will be missing. There will be a footpath coming through this arch, halfway down the former. Remember, the scale height of this viaduct is 75'...

post-13778-0-06416300-1360775252_thumb.jpg

Here's the slope of the embankment in the context of the valley slope...

post-13778-0-59416300-1360775261_thumb.jpg

More shortly.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, how high up the viaduct is the floor of the valley going to be please?

Maybe you need to remove that bit of 2x1 on the top of the two formers, as it looks like it might make the transision between the slope and the board a bit cumbersome?

Sorry

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Here's the revised cutting, with the corner section and hillock. This is at the mod-roc stage - I haven't had chance to put any plaster on as yet.

post-13778-0-18737700-1360775786_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-71709700-1360775776_thumb.jpg

The hills are approximately 60% of the ones I made on Monday and the cutting starts well away from the viaduct and runs gently down to the top of the embankment.

Jeff

• Like 1

Update: i've done about 5 hours work today, but it won't look like it!

Jeff

I can believe that was 5 hours work. I quite like the look of it so far. But (why is it someone always replies with a similar idea while I'm still typing) :ireful:

Why can I believe that was 5 hours work. Because I've spent about the same amount of time trying to make windows.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

The 45 x 20mm piece is ok - it won't get in the way.

The floor of the valley - top of the "riverbank" as it goes through the central arch - will be 2cm up the pier.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Brill work Jeff,!

To my eyes that looks more beliveable. Is there any chance that you could take a piccy with a coach in the cutting, which would allow a bit of scale to be seen please?

Andy