Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the offer - I suggest we move the discussion over to my 4MT thread so as not to clutter up Jeff's thread...

Though I am amused that now I've got interested in steam locos, Jeff is thinking a lot about diesels.  I suppose it keeps the universe in balance.  

Thinking of which, what effect does all that plaster in the bunker have on the earth's centre of gravity?  Is this why we've had two asteroids come visiting in the past few days?  Will we all start drifting towards it?  Is this why Jeff is taking a trip this week - visiting his father is jus a cover story for his gravitational experiments...

www.lunester-conspiracy.com

And while the young public were playing  shunting the wagons on Avago with an EWS Class 08 today at the National Slate Museum, Llanberis, some blue diesels mysteriously appeared in strength from the Wirral on 1950s Camel Quay.  Had Mr Beeching missed a bit?  Thought it had all Withered away with the rest of the North Cornwall line....[edit] by the 80s.

Balanced?  Don't think so.....

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

Quote: I'm not up to fitting smoke generators, as James has done! Though Mike (Stationmaster) and yourself have stated the smoky nature of the beast.

A wise move if the Seuthe units produce the same sort of clag as the real thing. When you saw them coming it was alway a good idea to (1) Hold your breath and hope it left before you passed out or (2) Stand well back (preferably on the far side of the castle!). They really were that bad!

I was browsing the East Lancs website today and in one of the photo's I noticed that the crews little electric stove was situated right next to the main generator. I'm surprised that the equipment did'nt include an oxygen tank and masks for the driver and secondman.

"son of Ming, the Merciless, AD 2013" - Jeff, the Slightly Ruthless?

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

Like, this kind of clag?

7998486096_7012e83666.jpg
IMG_1525 by Peach James, on Flickr

OK, so the story behind the photo- we have oil fired boilers with "automatic" controls on the ship.  The controls system is pnumatic, and has a few delays in it between things happening.  The burners (3 per boiler) are NOT controlled by the same system, they are controlled (off/purge/on ignition/on/clear/cool/off) by a 9 position rotary switch, which the operator (muggins here) has to turn.  When you make a mistake on operating (vs being just a handle turner), then the above can happen.

• Like 4

I've just sorted out the soldering for 7 Cobalts into the fiddle yard. With any luck I'll check the polarities of the switches/frogs in the morning.... then I might just force myself to run something out of the yard at that end. Now if I do the same at the viaduct end.... that 9F can cross the viaduct. Maybe in a week's time....

Jeff

Jeff

We need to see some steam coming over that viaduct  :stinker:

Go for it  :no:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

We need to see some steam coming over that viaduct  :stinker:

Go for it  :no:

Oh I definitely agree! It'll take a fair while though - I'm working at the other end of the yard and moving through methodically.

Something to look forward to - motivation, perhaps?

Jeff

Oh I definitely agree! It'll take a fair while though - I'm working at the other end of the yard and moving through methodically.

Something to look forward to - motivation, perhaps?

Jeff

I agree there Jeff a bit of motivation, I keep setting targets often daily, yesterdays target met, today's  unlikely, no problems but doing it right first time is taking longer than I realised, I really don't want to be reporting back that I am taking the track up again  :nono:

• RMweb Premium

I agree there Jeff a bit of motivation, I keep setting targets often daily, yesterdays target met, today's  unlikely, no problems but doing it right first time is taking longer than I realised, I really don't want to be reporting back that I am taking the track up again  :nono:

Just remember - you don't have to tell anybody what you are doing. Just because you're in the public eye. To date, I've reported virtually everything, because I want opinions and want to know I'm getting it right. But it can be depressing if you end up making major changes - so just post what you want to post!

I'm going to do some more soldering very shortly. And I'll check/adjust the frog polarities. Not a big target, but it'll get me going for a couple of hours.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

As Jeff has said, you don't have to tell everyone what you have planned.

Even if you do and it goes wrong, there's nothing wrong with that either. I have posted on my thread when things haven't gone to plan or I've made a mistake.

Duncan

As Jeff has said, you don't have to tell everyone what you have planned.

Even if you do and it goes wrong, there's nothing wrong with that either. I have posted on my thread when things haven't gone to plan or I've made a mistake.

Duncan

That's very true Duncan, we learn from both our & others mistakes  :banghead:

... and very helpful those mistakes are  :no:

*snip*

To date, I've reported virtually everything,

*snip*

Jeff

Now where have I heard that before? Ah, now I remember....

post-8688-0-91624100-1360971298.jpg

I tell you infidels, we did run trains on Kirkby Luneside this weekend ~ a class 25, class 28 AND a 9F.  We even have the video to prove it!

www.lunester-conspiracy.com

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Update: The photos below show the area of "active rail" now I've sorted the polarity switching on 7 of the Cobalts.

It's been fun running a class 25 back and forth.

Will head to the far end of the yard (in the second photo) tomorrow - once these turnouts are sorted, the viaduct awaits!!

post-13778-0-34246800-1361122097_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-74607200-1361122103_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well it's dead on here, so I'm going to do something more interesting for a couple of hours.

If anyone has anything of relevance/interest etc, please post. Sorry my posts aren't exciting enough - you sometimes get the feeling that you've got to scale greater and greater heights to get some response!  :O

Will look in later. Hopefully Al might post that video at some stage.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I think it's one of those phases we go through. It was quiet on RMWeb yesterday as well. So much so that after I'd read the few posts there were, I actually finished up doing some work (for a change!) on a new picture. As for your posts, they are never boring so don't be getting disheartened. Since I got back into modelling I'm amazed at how much I've learned on KL and other threads. I don't know if anyone's ever said that education never ends, but they should have. As far as I'm concerned, when I stop learning I'll lie down and close the lid!

Now as you mentioned over in the Lounge that you've finished for the day (Boston and Asia? Easy listening day?), Get the coffee and slippers on, don the headphones and settle back with a healthy dose of Rush! Perfect!

I don't know if you've tried it, but I have all my music on my PC (about 5,500 tracks which keeps the CD's safe!). It's surprising how much fun it is to just sit there and play an artistes output from start to finish without having to get up and change the CD! My record so far is Joni Mitchell Song To A Seagull (first album) to Taming The Tiger (twelth. I think).

Have fun and relax! Don't forget, Andy P will be back shortly (with George) and if he can't get the mayhem oops! ball rolling again, who can?

Regards

Bill

• Like 1

Update: The photos below show the area of "active rail" now I've sorted the polarity switching on 7 of the Cobalts.

It's been fun running a class 25 back and forth.

Will head to the far end of the yard (in the second photo) tomorrow - once these turnouts are sorted, the viaduct awaits!!

Jeff

Well done Jeff, that's a lot of active track, you can line up all your steamers now for a procession across the viaduct in a week or so   :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Jeff,

If you're thinking of depicting an earlier period, the following might be of interest - Holbeck's allocation at the beginning of 1960:

Stanier Cl.3 2-6-2T = 2

Ex-MR Cl.2P 4-4-0 = 2

Ex-LMS Cl.2P 4-4-0 = 1

Ivatt Cl.2 2-6-2T = 1

Fairburn Cl.4 2-6-4T = 2

Fowler Cl.4 2-6-4T = 2

Hughes Cl.6P5F 2-6-0 = 2 "Crab"

Ivatt Cl.4 2-6-0 = 5

Stanier Cl.5 4-6-0 = 17 "Black Five"

Stanier Cl.6P5F 4-6-0 = 18 "Jubilee"

Rebuilt Cl.7P 4-6-0 = 5 "Royal Scot"

Ivatt Cl.2 2-6-0 = 3

Ex-LMS Cl.3F 0-6-0T =1 "Jinty"

Stanier Cl.8F 2-8-0 = 9

Standard Cl.7P6F 4-6-2 = 3 "Britannia"

Standard Cl.5 4-6-0 = 5

Kingmoor to follow if interested.....

Peter

Edit I give up on all these <br/> !!!!! Edited again to remove formatting errors

Edited by Western Sunset
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well done Jeff, that's a lot of active track, you can line up all your steamers now for a procession across the viaduct in a week or so   :scratchhead:

Cheers Billy.

I'm actually going back into the bunker at 10pm to do another 2-3 hours wiring. Entertaining brother before then.

I anticipate the first 9F will cross the viaduct around lunchtime TOMORROW.

Jeff

PS. Al is currently editing the video from Friday. I can do a low-res video on my digital camera - but wouldn't know how to upload it here.

• RMweb Premium

Bill,

Thanks for the wise words! I've just sat and listened to 90 minutes of Barclay James Harvest.

I guess I hate the quiet days. There are times when it's manic on here, and I enjoy that. I'm also on a high with all the wiring, so quiet periods aren't good!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,<br />If you're thinking of depicting an earlier period, the following might be of interest - Holbeck's allocation at the beginning of 1960:<br /><br />Stanier Cl.3 2-6-2T = 2<br />Ex-MR Cl.2P 4-4-0 = 2<br />Ex-LMS Cl.2P 4-4-0 = 1<br />Ivatt Cl.2 2-6-2T = 1<br />Fairburn Cl.4 2-6-4T = 2<br />Fowler Cl.4 2-6-4T = 2<br />Hughes Cl.6P5F 2-6-0 = 2 "Crab"<br />Ivatt Cl.4 2-6-0 = 5<br />Stanier Cl.5 4-6-0 = 17 "Black Five"<br />Stanier Cl.6P5F 4-6-0 = 18 "Jubilee"<br />Rebuilt Cl.7P 4-6-0 = 5 "Royal Scot"<br />Ivatt Cl.2 2-6-0 = 3<br />Ex-LMS Cl.3F 0-6-0T =1 "Jinty"<br />Stanier Cl.8F 2-8-0 = 9<br />Standard Cl.7P6F 4-6-2 = 3 "Britannia"<br />Standard Cl.5 4-6-0 = 5<br /><br />Kingmoor to follow if interested.....<br /><br />Peter

Edit I give up on all these <br/> !!!!!

I don't know why you've got all those <> things. It happened to me last week when I edited the index - I think I must have used "Full editor" for a simple edit. Anyway, it cleared up after that.

I really like the look of your list. Hell, there's so much choice in there - and an excuse to acquire at least another 5-6 steamers I haven't yet got. I've tended to the later derivatives, such as the BR Standard 2-6-4T, rather than the Fowler or Stanier predecessor.

This is great - even if my wallet is turning white.

Maybe by the end of the year 1960 may become as "real" as 1966! And, of course, there are the diesels!

Kingmoor if interested? Are you kidding? :O Yes, please! 

Jeff

Right Jeff,

He's Kingmoor - line breaks and all.....

Note no 9Fs allocated to either Holbeck or Kingmoor at this period.

LMS Cl.2P 4-4-0 = 4

Stanier 2-cyl Cl.4 2-6-4T = 2

Hughes Cl.6P5F 2-6-0 = 26 "Crab"

Ex-MR Cl.3F 0-6-0 = 2

Ex-MR Cl.4F 0-6-0 = 4

Ex-LMS Cl.4F 0-6-0 = 3

Stanier Cl.5 4-6-0 = 52 "Black Five"

Stanier Cl.6P5F 4-6-0 = 18 "Jubilee"

Ex-LMS Cl.3 0-6-0T = 3 "Jinty"

Stanier Cl.8F 2-8-0 = 8

Ex-Cal Rly Cl.3F 0-6-0T = 8

Ex-Cal Rly Cl.3F 0-6-0 = 1

Standard Cl.6P5F 4-6-2 = 5 "Clan"

Riddles Cl.8F 2-8-0 = 3 "WD"

• Like 2

As far as I'm concerned, when I stop learning I'll lie down and close the lid!

I don't know if you've tried it, but I have all my music on my PC (about 5,500 tracks which keeps the CD's safe!). It's surprising how much fun it is to just sit there and play an artistes output from start to finish without having to get up and change the CD! My record so far is Joni Mitchell Song To A Seagull (first album) to Taming The Tiger (twelth. I think).

I keep saying to people that the day you stop learning something it's time to leave the human race.

As for the music, I've obviously got far too much, it won't all fit on my laptop so I've got a dedicated 2TB storage device that stores it on my network.

Duncan

• Like 1

And as a bonus Jeff, Stourton (the main ex-MR freight depot in Leeds) which also had many workings over the S&C:

Ivatt Cl.4 2-6-0 = 2

Ex-MR Cl.3F 0-6-0 = 1

Ex-MR Cl.4F 0-6-0 = 5

Ex-LMS Cl.4F 0-6-0 = 13

Stanier Cl.8F 2-8-0 = 14

PS I do hope you get a Metrovick Co-Bo, as they were all built at the Metropolitan-Vickers Bowesfield Works in Stockton.