Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Well it's all change now....

Health warning - avoid the Lounge. The humour has gone ballistic in there....catalysed by the great Baron, as usual!!

I'm going to have a few mins on KL to sort out tomorrow's plan.

Jeff

Health warning - avoid the Lounge. The humour has gone ballistic in there....catalysed by the great Baron, as usual!!

Jeff

It wasn't me POLLY STARTED IT Boss :laugh_mini: :laugh_mini: :laugh_mini: :diablo_mini:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

It wasn't me POLLY STARTED IT Boss :laugh_mini: :laugh_mini: :laugh_mini: :diablo_mini:

Oh, dear - I talked about modelling - in the Lounge - oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.... :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  

• RMweb Premium

Always a fatal thing to do, Polly. But then it's good to be reminded that this IS supposedly a railway modelling Forum!

I'm so glad I started the Lounge 8 weeks ago. If I hadn't, a lot of the stuff in there would have swamped KL!!

Hope to get make a bit more progress in the corner of the fell tomorrow. I'll have to examine photos of the bridges that carry the aqueduct and start planning how I'm going to build them. I'll build the bridges first and integrate them into the landscape. Then I'll build the stone aqueduct on top. Should be fun...

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Great photos of your club layout Andy, I am sure Jeff will find it inspires him even more as I am sure it will all Lunesters

Very true. It's always good to see what other people are doing. Sometimes there's a trivial detail that sparks an idea - the undulation of the terrain, the placement of a road etc.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've built a corner section for the fell, next to where the cuttings will be, using offcut blocks of wood, glued together.

The top of the fell has been extended with wire mesh and the remaining mod-roc I had (just over one roll). I hope the new stock arrives tomorrow!

Nothing worth photographing - tomorrow, maybe, as I can get some plaster on the top...

Jeff

Some interesting developments on here, I think it will look much better with the aqueduct and cutting instead of a pair of tunnel mouths, definately a lo less 'train set'.

I must come round and investigate the secret project!

With regard to Rob's post referring to 'scenic Thornaby', either Rob has never been to Thornaby or he had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he wrote it!

Al

• RMweb Premium

Some interesting developments on here, I think it will look much better with the aqueduct and cutting instead of a pair of tunnel mouths, definately a lo less 'train set'.

I must come round and investigate the secret project!

With regard to Rob's post referring to 'scenic Thornaby', either Rob has never been to Thornaby or he had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he wrote it!

Al

Hi Al,

Hope the job applications are progressing. You're welcome here anytime. I'll be away from Sunday to Friday next week. Otherwise, you know where I am. As you'll have gathered, if we DC the circuit again, I've got a few "old" (2000 - 2001) locos to run.

The corner suggestions that arose last week have proven very satisfactory. Jason's been trying to get some kind of overbridge for months - this was good in its own right. But the aqueduct - as shown in the photos on the thread - is spectacular and will fit perfectly (I hope!!) into the scene. I'll start to measure up prototype bridges over the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to having a go at this!

Re. Thornaby. I'm sure it was scenic - back in the 18th century!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Unbelievably quiet on here, and across the Forum, for a weekday!!

I've found a few (mostly not very useful) cutting shots - many are very wide and grassy. This one IS from the S&C, no matter the label on the photo, and shows plenty of rocky cutting-base...

My cuttings will have plenty of the rocky stuff!

http://www.thames-rail.co.uk/photos/66133-2.jpg

Off to the bunker to idle away an hour in thought and contemplation. As you do!!!! (Reminds me of the great Colonel/General Jack O'Neill from "Stargate SG-1".... "It's what I do!")

Jeff

Off to the bunker to idle away an hour in thought and contemplation. As you do!!!! (Reminds me of the great Colonel/General Jack O'Neill from "Stargate SG-1".... "It's what I do!")

Jeff

Jeff

I like the looks of that rocky stuff.

Contemplation is good. I also like the reference. Both the source and the meaning.

Duncan

Unbelievably quiet on here, and across the Forum, for a weekday!!

I've found a few (mostly not very useful) cutting shots - many are very wide and grassy. This one IS from the S&C, no matter the label on the photo, and shows plenty of rocky cutting-base...

My cuttings will have plenty of the rocky stuff!

http://www.thames-rail.co.uk/photos/66133-2.jpg

Jeff

I am fairly certain there's nothing like that in the Thames Valley  :no:

Maybe you could build them something like it for them, you could cover London with it  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I like the looks of that rocky stuff.

Contemplation is good. I also like the reference. Both the source and the meaning.

Duncan

Sounds like you are an SG-1 fan, Duncan. If so, you've gone up further in my estimation. Now - if you like Babylon 5 .... ("I'm a Shadow of my former self" / "Get the hell out of our galaxy"...), even better!

I am fairly certain there's nothing like that in the Thames Valley  :no:

Maybe you could build them something like it for them, you could cover London with it  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Not a bad idea, Billy. At least it might keep those pesky politicians quiet!!

Your comment really made me laugh!!

OK, contemplation over. I just need that mod roc, to cut some wood, to drill some wood, to mix some plaster, to.............  :sungum: FUN! Honest....

Jeff

• Like 1

Sounds like you are an SG-1 fan, Duncan. If so, you've gone up further in my estimation. Now - if you like Babylon 5 .... ("I'm a Shadow of my former self" / "Get the hell out of our galaxy"...), even better!

SG-1, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Star Trek (apart from DS9) and many others in a similar vein.

Duncan

Evening all,

can't really afford to go missing for a few days on this thread (Wedding Anniversary, Easter, kids, father, etc etc) I see you've been moving mountains Jeff - plan c looks like a winner and I like the idea of the aqueduct/bridge.  I didn't get any pictures of the south end of Blea Moor but the watercourse over the railway is a substantial construction about 15' wide with retaining walls, a stepped stone set base and plenty of stone work.  The aqueduct in Dentdale is a lot simpler.  Should be fun building whatever you fancy.  

KK    

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,
I recall you have Jenkinson's "Rail in the Fells". Look at the bottom illustration on p141 and you'll see the juxtaposition of the road bridge and aqueduct - or pipe crossing in that instance - just north of Dent. Inclusion of some snow fencing (also seen on p35), would also be a nice S&C touch.
Regards,
Peter

Edited by Western Sunset

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I recall you have Jenkinson's "Rail in the Fells". Look at the bottom illustration on p141 and you'll see the juxtaposition of the road bridge and aqueduct - or pipe crossing in that instance - just north of Dent. Inclusion of some snow fencing (also seen on p35), would also be a nice S&C touch.

Regards,

Peter

Morning Peter,

Thanks for the references. Unfortunately they don't seem to match up with the book I have. Maybe because it's a revised, second edition? Page 141 shows Plate 163/4 with 9Fs and page 35 shows Plates 31/32 with an 8F and Dent Head viaduct under construction.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, and what a beautiful morning it is, if on the chilly side. I hope that door is doing its job? As KK says, it does not pay to be away from this thread too long as some serious time has to be committed to catching up. The aqueduct idea certainly seems original and rarely seen in model form, at least in my experience. I read there are rumours of narrow gauge? There were some lovely NG layouts at the York show in all scales. It makes me want to get on with my 009, but then there's the loft to do and I bought some suburban coach sides at York, all I need is time, which is in short supply.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jonathan.

Yes, a lot has been discussed over the past week. The aqueduct plan evolved from a road overbridge. I prefer it because it's a very "natural" formation - stone and "water".... not tarmac and cars!

The narrow gauge isn't going to happen. It would have been nice to have been able to include a quarry and link to the branch line. but there simply isn't the space. Besides, there's more than enough going on as it is!!

Progress is slowly being made!!

Jeff