Hornby Thompson Suburbans - Updated images on Page 4

Andy Y

Simon Kohler dropped into the BRM offices today with the most recent engineering samples of the forthcoming Thompson suburbans.

Thanks to Dicky W for the snaps!

DSCF4609.JPG

DSCF4610.JPG

DSCF4611.JPG

DSCF4612.JPG

DSCF4613.JPG

DSCF4614.JPG

DSCF4615.JPG

DSCF4616.JPG

DSCF4617.JPG

DSCF4618.JPG

DSCF4619.JPG

DSCF4621.JPG

DSCF4622.JPG

A video of the coaches can be found here on MRL TV - http://bit.ly/HPo5lM

W O W ! They look as good as any I've seen. What am I saying......they are superb. Square and rounded corner windows too. A couple of us had been thinking of replacing the plastic sides with etched brass ones but on looking at the pictures I'm in a bit of a tiz now. Thanks for posting. :good:

Didn't know Thompson surburbans were used on "The Silver Jubilee" service !!!!!!!

Nice coaches, I'll have a small rake of 3 when the're availiable. God we're spoiled thesedays !!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

Guest Tom F

Wow...they really are the bees knees! To think we shall have both Gresley and Thompson Suburban stock...within 2 years of each other!

Us Eastern modellers really are being spoilt!!

First to be built were the thirds and lavatory composites in 1947 (allocated to GN outer suburban services and Edinburgh local sets). After 1949 new build had radiussed corners to the windows, so it is unlikely any of these were in teak livery.

From 1950/51 production increased and a high proportion went to Scotland. Steel shortages postponed the 1952 programme and so building of these non-corridor coaches continued through 1953.

Info : LNER Carriages by M. Harris

First to be built were the thirds and lavatory composites in 1947 (allocated to GN outer suburban services and Edinburgh local sets). After 1949 new build had radiussed corners to the windows, so it is unlikely any of these were in teak livery.

From 1950/51 production increased and a high proportion went to Scotland. Steel shortages postponed the 1952 programme and so building of these non-corridor coaches continued through 1953.

Info : LNER Carriages by M. Harris

Thanks, Coachmann. I was going to ask just that! So, one would suppose Hornby would do the crimson ones with round corners and the teak with square ones.... hope they don't mess-up like they did with the first batch of BR guards vans ie. roller bearings & pneumatic buffers on early numbered vans and visa versa.

Got my Thompsons on pre-order so I hope they are right.

All the best,

Dave Franks

So, one would suppose Hornby would do the crimson ones with round corners and the teak with square ones.

I believe that is the plan. I had assumed they would either do square or round windows so I was surprised when they committed to do both.

Several liveries could be involved. Teak is straight forward. 1949-56 carmine coaches were mostly unlined but a few did carry yellow & black waist lining. Post 1956 maroon also had the two variants but judging by photos a good number were lined out particularly in Scotland.

Can we usefully sample some opinion?

While all these vehicles are very welcome, the really, really useful one in my view is the bog compo. A typical KX outer sub service behind a B1 or L1 would comprise Mk1BS, Mk1S, Thompson CL, Thompson CL, Mk1S, Mk1BS, ( and there might be an extra Thompson CL in the middle). I have the impression that the Thompson CL's lingered on much longer than the other Gresley and Thompson non-gangwayed vehicles too, which were swept away pretty rapidly by the non-gangwayed BR mk1 replacements, to provide the lavatory equipment supplementing the BR mk1 stock. My purchasing plan for BR liveried Thompsons will be over 50% CL's as a result.

Now, if my plans are in any way likely to be repeated by others, then maybe Hornby would be best advised to produce significantly more of the BR liveried lav compos than the other types?

Short distance travel would not require lavatory facilities and one should study the line one is modelling. Nevertheless they are cute enough for everyone to want one and I'm sure they will do for Bachmann what they did for North Eastern Design. Talking of the latter, this firm also has the brake composite, the 5-compartment brake third, the all-first and the D358 32ft 6-wheel full brake.

Now here's a question and a half...have found this photograph on the Embsay & Bolton Railway Website - it looks to be made up of two Thompson lavs, and a brake third. This would be perfect for me, albeit this is shown in 1953 and not my intended year of 1949. Does this photograph show the same types Hornby are making?

That, and the RTR Bachmann J39 possibilties make this an intriguing prototypical prospect.

Now here's a question and a half...have found this photograph on the Embsay & Bolton Railway Website - it looks to be made up of two Thompson lavs, and a brake third. This would be perfect for me, albeit this is shown in 1953 and not my intended year of 1949. Does this photograph show the same types Hornby are making?

That, and the RTR Bachmann J39 possibilties make this an intriguing prototypical prospect.

Looking at the pic. I make it to be 5 comp. brake, lav. compo, 5 comp brake, so only the lav. compo has been announced so far. :sorry_mini: :sorry_mini:

Cheers, Peter C.

Archived