The ultimate kit?

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

I know this is model engineering but thought that some might be interested. So...

Some 15 years ago I bought a set of drawings for a rebuilt 5" gauge Merchant Navy. I duly started to fabricate some of the smaller items, some brackets, frame stretchers etc. I soon had the sinking feeling that, although a reasonably skilled and equipped model engineer it was probably a step too far for me - especially when I looked at the boiler drawing, 31" long, 6" dia. parallel part, then the cone, then a huge firebox...gulp!

Today, following a heads up from a fellow RMwebber (you know who you are, thank you so much again) I undertook the long drive from Hedge End to near Grantham and back to purchase this kit of parts from the estate of a prematurely deceased model engineer.

I just can't begin to describe the quality of what I brought home with me - the guy was a genius. He obviously drew everything out in CAD then had the thicker parts (including the main, tender and bogie frames) laser cut, all brackets etc. have tabs and slots for easy assembly, with the thinner parts etched in nickel silver. I have bags and boxes of bits, dozens of sheets of n/s etchings, oh - and a professionally built boiler! This is all copper and weighs the best part of 35kgs.

The real tragedy is that what was in this highly skilled engineer's brain has also died with him, plus his obvious design and fabrication skills. For instance rather than buy castings for the 3 cylinders and the wheels he has had flame cut all the bits to fabricate them - unfortunately I have to try and work out what was in his mind on how to build them.

I'm not sure whether I have the time left to finish this model - I just hope that I can add value to it to somewhere near the standard so far, so that when I pop my clogs someone else will be able to take it over and end up with a darn fine machine.

Anyway a couple of (bad) photos to illustrate:

Some of the bits (tin of mandarins for size comparison)

post-6683-0-29042200-1334430106_thumb.jpg

Some of the superbly fabricated brackets

post-6683-0-49007000-1334430114_thumb.jpg

The exquisite Bissel truck frame

post-6683-0-27787700-1334430128_thumb.jpg

Some of the etch sheets

post-6683-0-57579800-1334430134_thumb.jpg

Finally, just loads of stuff!

post-6683-0-68003700-1334430300_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil :)

I agree with Nick, what an absolutely fantastic project you have there. I would love to have the oppertunity to tackle such a brilliant project like that and I wish you all the best with it. If you need any help then please give me a shout...

Missy :)

• RMweb Gold

Phil in the latest engineering in miniature magazine there is a article on how on to fabricate cylinders. HTH

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at it. As I work on the 12"/ft things on the MHR, and have been fairly intimate with two full size Merchant Navies so far I'm fairly well up on what bit should chuff when the other bit goes ssssss, it's just going to be trying to work out which bit is which of the many hundred in the bag marked 'cylinders'!

Hi, Phil Lucky man. Im mainly a 5 inch gauge man built about 7 in my time and a traction engine,their are a few blokes on here including myself who will give advice if you need it,A Merchant navy sure is a fine machine.But i do hope you no how much work there is in one :O you can tell the wife cuz you will be living in the workshop, keep us posted on how you get on. Garry mswjr

• RMweb Premium

What an exquisite one-off kit! I'm looking forward to following progress with it - take your time!

My work colleague is into model engineering - I shall direct his attention to this thread!

• RMweb Gold

When I make progress I shall post a few photos, but I do anticipate that this project could possibly take the rest of my natural, and then still not be finished. As has been pointed out although the bits I have been fortunate enough to acquire will take years off the build it is still a hugely complicated machine in 5" gauge. Having let my model engineering skills lapse somewhat during my ongoing 12" / ft locomotive restoration dalliance I will have to get back into the swing of it for a start.

Just sorting out all the bits and pieces will take a few months!

..... to purchase this kit of parts from the estate of a prematurely deceased model engineer.

I just can't begin to describe the quality of what I brought home with me - the guy was a genius. He obviously drew everything out in CAD then had the thicker parts (including the main, tender and bogie frames) laser cut, all brackets etc. have tabs and slots for easy assembly, with the thinner parts etched in nickel silver. I have bags and boxes of bits, dozens of sheets of n/s etchings, oh - and a professionally built boiler! This is all copper and weighs the best part of 35kgs.

The real tragedy is that what was in this highly skilled engineer's brain has also died with him, plus his obvious design and fabrication skills. For instance rather than buy castings for the 3 cylinders and the wheels he has had flame cut all the bits to fabricate them - unfortunately I have to try and work out what was in his mind on how to build them......

Who was the late engineer? Perhaps mention of his name here might alert those who knew him and the way in which he thought?

• RMweb Gold

Who was the late engineer? Perhaps mention of his name here might alert those who knew him and the way in which he thought?

I didn't enquire - the transaction was handled by a third party on behalf of his estate.

• RMweb Gold

As I alluded to above part of the tragedy of this project originator's passing is the fount of knowledge that has passed with him. Apparently he left no hard notes or drawings of the project, everything was on his computer which no one can now access. This has left many puzzles to be solved as he patently wanted to construct the loco with the minimum of castings.

A case in point are the wheels - sheets of beautiful n/s etchings of various thicknesses, different one for the front and rear faces of the BFBs, various size 'webs' which are clearly meant (and half etched) to be folded, all meant to end up as a wheel constructed as per the original (remember some of the later locos, I think it was the later ones, had wheels made up by welding together the various bits)

The problem is I have absolutely no idea at the moment what was in his head regarding them, so it will take a deal of thought to come up with a method of fabricating them.

Some photos of just a few of the different etched sheets:

post-6683-0-95228700-1334766855_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-61950200-1334766867_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-93839000-1334766874_thumb.jpg

Till the next time....

• RMweb Gold

One thought has just come into my mind - I have easy access to the MHR's 35005 'Canadian Pacific' which is currently in Eastleigh Loco works awaiting restoration - perhaps an examination of the wheels on that thing will give give me a clue.

As I alluded to above part of the tragedy of this project originator's passing is the fount of knowledge that has passed with him. Apparently he left no hard notes or drawings of the project, everything was on his computer which no one can now access. ....

Not even a security expert?

Archived