The ultimate kit?

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

Not even a security expert?

This isn't the codes to the Bank of England vault - there is a (still) grieving family to think of, and the guy's model engineering secrets are probably the last thing on their mind right now, so I shan't be asking.

Anyway, I think I've cracked how to make the wheels - whether I have the skills or not is a different matter entirely.

This isn't the codes to the Bank of England vault - there is a (still) grieving family to think of, and the guy's model engineering secrets are probably the last thing on their mind right now, so I shan't be asking.

Fair enough

Anyway, I think I've cracked how to make the wheels - whether I have the skills or not is a different matter entirely.

Rather you than me! Having almost everything etched reminds me of the approach taken by Tru-Scale Models (long defunct now) in the late 1980s/early 1990s, in 4mm scale. Even the leaf spring detail was etched, and you had to assemble the individual leaves together in order to make one spring! There were quite a few springs involved in a Class 31 bogie.

Good luck with the whole thing.

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough

Rather you than me! Having almost everything etched reminds me of the approach taken by Tru-Scale Models (long defunct now) in the late 1980s/early 1990s, in 4mm scale. Even the leaf spring detail was etched, and you had to assemble the individual leaves together in order to make one spring! There were quite a few springs involved in a Class 31 bogie.

Good luck with the whole thing.

Thank you. If I do manage to get a wheel assembled I'll post the photos, but as with Bodge City don' t hold your breath!

• RMweb Gold

The tyres come as unfinished rings which I'm thinking are the last pieces to be attached, then centre the wheels and turn to size and tread profile on the lathe - I might change this and substitute these tyres for steel. We have plenty of large diameter thick wall steel tube on the MHR so sourcing it shouldn't be a problem.

• RMweb Gold

Over the last twenty four years I've been involved as anyone on the MHR with Bulleids having a greater or lesser part in restoring/ part restoring 5 of the things now plus of course maintaining and driving both an MN and original and rebuilt WCs. The penny has definitely dropped with the wheels, just got to try and sort out the beautifully tabbed and slotted, also beautifully jumbled parts for the 3 cylinders now.

This isn't quite a bolt together kit of parts, but in my estimation it's reduced the workload by at least 50% - so it's still going to take me years - quite a few years......

Just think of the savings, not having to buy other kits to do. No layout, the scenery will be natural. Then in a few years you can enjoy playing trains, and not worrying about have "I got enough stock". Even better you will be able to say I assembled (made) this and made it work. Smiling all the time of coarse.

• RMweb Gold

'Course there's the little matter of the 70% finished 5" gauge IOW O2 lurking in the workshop cupboard....

...it was 70% finished in 1987, then I discovered 12"/ft models.

• RMweb Premium

Ropley top field needs a 5" gauge set up!!

I'm sure you will get lots of support from Bulleid lovers and workers (hate to mention it but don't forget the Blubell boys and girls re that).

You are going to have fun and you will know exactly how to drive the thing once it is completed!

ATB P @ 36E

• RMweb Gold

It's going to be the rebuilt version, and it is going to be 35024 'East Asiatic Company'.....purely because there are two sheets (duplicate) of brass etched nameplates and smokebox numberplates! This loco must have been dear to the deceased man's heart so it would seem churlish not to make it this one.

If there was indeed a jig for the wheels I haven't got it.

• RMweb Premium

That is high quality work Phil I wonder if he had a small group of like minded friends who encouraged him or assisted in making/drawing some items? I think photos of the original and of parts might help in laying out the parts for the cylinders.

Hello Phil,

for assembling the wheel parts I think that I would make a jig that had a aluminum base plate and maybe a stainless steel peg for the brass? center for the wheel and another one for the crank pins. Leave the center a bit over length and under size for the axle ends, then you can grip it in the lathe to true up the wheels and drill and ream the wheel center along with turning the wheel treads to profile. Are you going to silver solder the wheels up? I don't think that 188deg. will be up to the job in this case!!!!!!

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ozz

I'm thinking along similar lines - I am going to make jigs up for every part of the wheel builds, including bending jigs for the pockets, to ensure that they all turn out pretty much the same. I'm still trying to sort out and catalogue the bits, there are literally thousands of them, including what is obviously a sweepings bag!

The wheels will be silver soldered, I'm fortunate in having propane, oxy-propane and oxy-acetylene gear in the work shop, also a few kilos of silver solder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm starting top find out what goes where amongst the thousands of bits, both finished items and component parts of items, I've acquired. As an aid to eventual assembly I've temporarily erected the frames and hung some bits on it. The 12" ruler gives some idea of scale, the frames measure 47" overall.

post-6683-0-11759400-1335794500_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-93000800-1335794531_thumb.jpg

In one of the bags is obviously the last assembly that the project originator was working on before his untimely demise - it's going to feel strange when I start work on finishing that.

edit: no idea what happened in the first photo re. the mirror image on the front end - I tried to use a combine program to keep focus along the length of the frame, must be a product of that.

• RMweb Gold

The thing will be sprung as the prototype, necessary because the locomotive alone will end up weighing around 225 lbs (or 100 kgs for the metriculatedacious)

Hello Phil,

that looks tasty but I think that you need some of this at times :drinks: . On another site people have been talking about using Halogen hobs for soldering large flat pieces together, I was thinking about the wheels. Apparently Aldi? are getting some in for about £30, it maybe worth a try?

OzzyO

• RMweb Gold

I'm all for modern technology but in model engineering I think I will use tried and tested methods, Nothing on this thing will be soft soldered, a range from welding through sif bronze down to silver soldering will be necessary, thankfully I have the tools and gases to be able to do this.

Anything I can't tackle can be taken up the Mid Hants for the better skilled / equipped people to tackle - for instance, once I've made the various plugs and connector I shall take the boiler up to be hydraulically tested.

Anything I can't tackle can be taken up the Mid Hants for the better skilled / equipped people to tackle - for instance, once I've made the various plugs and connector I shall take the boiler up to be hydraulically tested.

Aaannd suddenly I see just how much modelling food chain there is ahead of me.

Archived