Small turntable as part of the run round loop

Penrice09

• RMweb Gold

Bembridge on the Isle of Wight. Photo of model here: http://www.bembridgeheritage.org.uk/heritage_centre.html

You will see it's half sector plate, half turnout. Perhaps they couldn't decide.

You are right it does make sense from a space point of view so if you do freelance rather than prototype you will need to represent a site so cramped that they had to do it.

In most cases rural land being cheap, and a point being cheaper than a turntable, they would have gone with economics - hence all the run-rounds.

You haven't said what era you intend to model - I think you will find more examples in pre-grouping times but it's not really an area of study for me so no doubt others will help.

TT.jpgWas there any Branch Line Terminus that used a small turntable as part of the run round loop, it seems agreat space saver for micro layouts?

Rothbury in Northumberland.

Regards.

• RMweb Gold

Not quite as your plan, but the Harborne Branch used to end with a turntable beyond the platform. The date of recovery is sometimes given as 1942 and others give 1947. I don't know which is correct, but there was an LMS Traffic Committee Minute in 1947 referring to relocating it to Llandovery.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrh2184.htm

I think this depends on the era you want to represent. In pre-grouping days both Newquay and Ramsgate Harbour had this arrangement, although neither could be called "micro".

As others have said, BLT's don't get much simpler than Bembridge, and a number of more recent narrow gauge/ miniature railways use it.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

It probably doesn't count but the Beer Heights Light Railway at the Peco factory in Devon has one too :)

As does the Longleat Railway and the Lappa Valley Railway in Cornwall.

Withernsea is another one.... in later years it swapped to a more conventional point based solution though as more tank engines served the line ( although ironically it's RA enabled any loco to be used due to the complete lack of gradients and bridges) and, more importantly, the turntable was a typical early NER one.......... and too short for later locos'.

There were also sector plates as in Sheerness Dockyard, or traversers at the end of platforms at Birmingham Moor Street, for example.

Turntables at the end of platforms has certainly been done before on model railways. I well remember one many years ago. At the exhibition I attended, a group of experts was standing around tut-tutting the concept, insisting that such an arrangement would never have existed. The layout owner produced a folder with several photographs of real life examples - some of which are listed above. The experts retired looking very embarrassed - one of those priceless exhibition moments!

Thanks for putting the plan up, shows the size of the turntable which supports what I said :)

48'6" - fine for something like a NER M1 or Q or 3CC but even a R1 (D21) was probably too long, let alone anything bigger!!

Guest Belgian

I believe Ventnor Town on the Isle of Wight had a small turntable at the end of the line serving two platform roads and a loop in its early days, later replaced by a pair of turnouts.

JE

Bembridge on the Isle of Wight. Photo of model here: http://www.bembridge...age_centre.html

And here's a link to the S Scale Model Railway Society pages and the layout "Stroudley Green." Southern based on Brading on the Isle of Wight: http://www.s-scale.org.uk/gallery17.htm.

Quite a nice model railway and a tempting design to tackle in P4, S or even 7mm!

Archived