Modelling Inspiration 4 - Out now

Andy Y

Excellent!

More polished copper and brass and chocolate and cream than I could ever wish for and nicely balanced with some interesting "off-topic" articles :no: .

Another excellent themed issue and the bar seems to be raised higher with each issue of MI

Will the next MI feature something for those of us that model after the 1960's?

No, there's still another eighty years of the GWR to cover before 1920 :nono: Of course, if you look beyond the big lumps of metal on the tracks you'll find plenty in there that was still around in the sixties.

Well done, Andy, another excellent issue.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Cracking issue Andy , being a GWR o'phile this just oozes all the atmosphere of the area covered by

the company .

The upcoming Pendon visit will certainly have a new interest having seen these photo's .

Well done and keep the good stuff coming .

My bold....

But that is a very valid point that often seems to be missed by some of my fellow "Latter Day Enthusiasts" ( cool term eh? :D) For example I have a photo of a London Midland liveried 153 sat at a chocolate n cream painted wooden station building.....thats pretty up to date :)

That point wasn't missed - yes I'm fully aware that much of the steam era infrastructure is still around and in use - however track layouts are much rationalised, and of course the stock is different. Apart from a small illustrative image on one page (and noticing the advertising) everything else was steam era. Whilst I can appreciate the standard of modelling - which is indeed both inspirational and aspirational - and that there was plenty of good content, as far as the 'operational' side of the layouts featured go, as my interests are elsewhere I could not relate to much of the content.

Maybe the next one - then all the steam enthusiasts will be complaining that it's all modern image I guess.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely super job Andy. Some interesting articles as well as the (Swindonian) varnish and a lovely 'feel' to it as an electronic mag making excellent use of the medium without going overboard for any gimmicks.

And nice to see Brent making a much deserved appearance in the company of two very well known GW layouts.

• RMweb Premium

No, there's still another eighty years of the GWR to cover before 1920 :nono: Of course, if you look beyond the big lumps of metal on the tracks you'll find plenty in there that was still around in the sixties.

Well done, Andy, another excellent issue.

Nick

Well said, Nick. The GWR in itself doesn't particularly interest me, but the settings, level of detail and superb photographs make MI into a little gem.

I'd like to see 1950s-1960s steam/diesel, but I'm very happy to have a few more issues along the lines of MI4 if Andy chooses to put them together.

Well done Andy and whatever team is behind you.

Jeff

Great issue, this one could almost have been published just for me! Robins layout looked superb in the pictures and really showed what a high standard he has set for the rest of us with South Devon leanings. Pendon pictures are always welcome too as its miles away from here. As for the more modern modellers, we have to put up with your blue boxes, so now you can put up with our kettles!

• RMweb Gold

That point wasn't missed - yes I'm fully aware that much of the steam era infrastructure is still around and in use - however track layouts are much rationalised, and of course the stock is different. Apart from a small illustrative image on one page (and noticing the advertising) everything else was steam era.

Yes, steam era grass, steam era trees, steam era road surfaces, steam era distant hills and clouds ...

Super issue. Very interesting reading. The piece on how the Bachmann resin buildings were made was particularly so. Though to be honest (and not wanting to start a discussion on the subject) I'm still not entirely sure I like the smoke being photoshopped into pictures.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, steam era grass, steam era trees, steam era road surfaces, steam era distant hills and clouds ...

Well, yes - but actually steam-era grass and trees were kept very much under control, while these days the embankments have run riot and the rural railway environment is very much more verdant than ever before - as are many suburban routes for the first time. And are road surfaces much cop these days? That said, I take the point that the issue is about timeless and quality modelling, and certainly the photography is superb. I also endorse the "themed" approach as providing an easy introduction to the chosen prototype. MI continues to move forward, no question.

I followed Andy's link but got a run time error followed by the second image....

post-6680-0-64705500-1342095634.jpgpost-6680-0-49740900-1342095636.jpg

Strange as I was able to access previous issues. Defragged the PC and waited for access to RMweb again after a morning of SQL's.

Have you got the latest version of Adobe Reader? Mine didn't load properly with version 8, and it said an upgrade was needed. So I had to upgrade to Adobe Reader X (or 10).

Though to be honest (and not wanting to start a discussion on the subject) I'm still not entirely sure I like the smoke being photoshopped into pictures.

I don't have a problem with you raising the perspective Ian as I know it can be a matter of preference. Not all images do have it but its inclusion is intended to impart a degree of dynamism to the viewer of what is a flat 2D representation of a 3D model I've been privileged to work with. I could do them as 3D images but I'd have all sorts of complaints over eye strain and not everyone can see it anyway. See http://www.rmweb.co....attach_id=22917

I suppose the presentation of the material through MI is a very personal thing from my perspective putting quite a bit of work in to push the boundaries of photographing a model a little further to give a sense of being there mixed in with what the prototype would look like (which is a modellers' aim, I'm just trying to take it a step further beyond the scale and technical limitations) in the context of the model. I don't materially alter the model but I do try to take away distractions and sometimes add what we'd like to be there.

As an illustration here's the basic image, the second one has the distractions removed (ceiling plus darkened lighting farther away from the camera, which is contrary to how diffusion in the atmosphere works of course) and the third one has a bit of smoke to make it less of a static and flat image.

D2minic.jpg

D2minib.jpg

D2minia.jpg

Sadly photoshopping in real exhaust into a model environment almost always looks even more unrealistic than a bit of digital painting.

Maybe it's a white lie but hopefully I'm not misleading anyone into thinking they'll see smoke belching forth when we go to Pendon on the 28th.

Archived