Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

So Hornby aren't releaseing a GWR Castle with the Collett tender, even though thats the tender that most recognised with the Class? Why is this??? They might as well not bother with the Castle!

They released several with a Collett tender - one (Tintagel Castle) in an early Collett GWR livery. This came and went some time ago.

• RMweb Premium

They released several with a Collett tender - one (Tintagel Castle) in an early Collett GWR livery. This came and went some time ago.

...and there are plenty of variations they haven't done that we may see before they repeat Tintagel as a different Castle. The exception of course is the Collett tender with a double chimney Castle with late crest. Lots of those...but if you want the same but with a single chimney there's only been the Swindon limited edition.

Is there a particular reason why tenders of all sorts AREN'T sold as separate models? I simply don't like the look of the double-chimney, so I'm waiting for a single chimney, late crest variation before I buy. Might not live long enough!!! (I wasn't modelling when the Steam version was around)

Edited by BRealistic

My guess is that with the current Hornby set up in China, they could not justify a production run of tenders; to do so, something else would have to fall by the wayside.  Unfortunately I think this would make such a move a very low priority.  A shame really as these "spare" tenders could also be used, with care, to produce variants of Stars and Granges that some of us really want. 

Martin

Is there a particular reason why tenders of all sorts AREN'T sold as separate models? I simply don't like the look of the double-chimney, so I'm waiting for a single chimney, late crest variation before I buy. Might not live long enough!!! (I wasn't modelling when the Steam version was around)

For what its worth I was able to buy a Beverston Castle , single chimney Collett tender BR a couple of months ago for about £85 new, and a Tintagel Castle GWR Collett tender for similar about a year ago, or less,  by shopping around smaller retailers with web sites. Both had good paint, too.

It's hard to buy all sorts of recent and desirable Hornby models these days at the discounts we came to accept as normal in the last few years. BR Duchesses in various forms, very hard to find, for example a factory weathered 'Duchess of Montrose'. You won't find factory weathered Bulleids, N15s, T9s, L1s, Black 5s, easily either. A rebuilt Scot/Patriot or an 8F maybe.

I actually enjoy browsing for some of the rarer versions. Somebody want to find me a Black 5 1968 'End of BR Steam' 44871/44781 pair for under £200? New unmarked never out of box please.

Rob

Edited by robmcg

Nice! I think I paid around that for mine, about a year ago.

As I and others have said in other threads, it's quite hard to find a lot of the better 00 models by Bachmann but particularly Hornby for discounted prices, and with labour costs rising in China and the Pound not too good in exchange hedging I doubt it is going to get any better. It's fun to shop, though!

For what it's worth several online retailers have Beverston Castle at around £105 and that's £85-ish outside the EU.

What I particularly enjoy is finding a new 2004-2008 model for sale still at 'old' prices, if it is a good super-detail one. Good second hand can still be very cheap especially if not in perfect condition.

• RMweb Gold
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are still single chimney BR versions about... here is a lightly weathered TMC version...

The crew certainly get about...   yesterday they were on a Schools class!

post-7929-0-11081300-1367197805.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...

Both my local model shop and the Hattons website are both saying that 'Wellington' is now not due until the 16th December! This is quite galling as it was until very recently pencilled-in to arrive this month, having been absent from Hornby's recently released list of postponed items.

Looking at it, we'll be lucky to have out copper-capped mitts on one of these until the turn of the year - when it was originally in Hornby's 2012 catalogue! Surely a two-year delay is a record for a loco with existing tooling?

Ah well, back to my decade-old Dunster Castle...

CoY 

Edited by County of Yorkshire

... it was originally in Hornby's 2012 catalogue! Surely a two-year delay is a record for a loco with existing tooling?

Perhaps, perhaps not.

They made a right mess of getting the high-detailed Schools (not the latest 'Railroad' version) delivered too.  They went through name/number changes and took a while to appear. Once delivered, they are lovely models though.

The new Castle tooling seems to be a bit of an albatross. It is a lovely model but they had all kinds of problems with both the tooling (if I recall correctly, it broke somewhere along the line) and getting details right (some people got smokebox numberplates with GWR liveries) some people got very bad hazy paint applications and some had lots of broken bits in the box.

Sad because the new Castle tooling is excellent when assembled and detailed properly.

I can echo the sentiments about the later versions of the Hornby Castle, superb model, and I have no idea how widespread the tooling error(s) and paint errors were, but these models like the later Schools models are quite easy to buy new or second hand, and are often sold at quite low prices, well under original RRP. Typically a new Castle will sell for about £80-90, a Schools for somewhat less.

Sometimes I wonder about the number of people who actually want to buy either model in a given year, given that they are probably 'steady sellers' rather than highly desirable stand alone models; an A4 or Duchess or Britannia seems to hold s/h value better.

In any event I hope like many others that Hornby can regain the high standards set by the B17 and L1, but don't expect prices for new models to be below £100. Remember when the B17 was first sold I think major box-shifters had them at £87.

Also I don't think the second hand market will be very kind to second-hand engines with 4-pin plug connectors, unless the buyer can see trust these are undamaged, many sellers show an alarming lack of care in even taking a photo of a model.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not sure if this is the right thread?

I have just accquired a new Hornby "Beverston Castle"  which is the DCC  chip fitted version.

I still run a non DDC layout. I have other Chipped locos which seem to run quite well via an analogue

controller.

I have test run the Castle and it runs beautifully forwards, but when running backwards, it is slow to start and when it does move it is jerky and stops intermittently. It only runs correctly once a high voltage is applied, so no slow runnning in reverse.

Could someone please advise me as to the best course of action? Remove chip and fit a blanking plate, or have the chip programmed via a DCC system? Failing the above I could always build a lot more turntables !!

Bob C

Edited by Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

You could try fitting the blanking plate and removing the chip. Then youd know if its the chip or engine. As you stand to loose nothing by taking out the chip then it should function like an ordinary engine.

The model did not come with a blanking plate, do you know if they are available as a separtate item?

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is the right thread?

I have just accquired a new Hornby "Beverston Castle"  which is the DCC  chip fitted version.

I still run a non DDC layout. I have other Chipped locos which seem to run quite well via an analogue

controller.

I have test run the Castle and it runs beautifully forwards, but when running backwards, it is slow to start and when it does move it is jerky and stops intermittently. It only runs correctly once a high voltage is applied, so no slow runnning in reverse.

I had exactly this fault with a DCC fitted Castle. Here's what I wrote on page 16 of this thread:

"Not sure what to make of this yet - earlier in the thread I mentioned that I'd got a Castle that was a poor runner in reverse - very juddery. It was suggested that it might be due to the keeper plate being too tight/loose but despite adjusting it, I couldn't improve matters. I took the Castle back on the weekend (been on holiday) and this time we were able to run a replacement in the shop. The loco was decoder equipped, so it was tested on the shop's DCC test track. This one ran beautifully smoothly in both forward and reverse, so I happily took it home. Once I got it onto my own layout, though, I was surprised to find the same dreadful running in reverse. At that point it occurred to me that I'm presently running on DC at home, and the loco was test run at the shop on DCC. My DCC controller is currently plugged into my American layout, but when I get a chance I'll swap it onto the 4mm one and see what happens. I have a bunch of other recent Hornby locos running smoothly on DC, but the Castle is the only one with a decoder in."

I don't think I ever did solve it, but I'm running on DCC now so less of an issue.

Edit - tested my castle on DC again (also Beverston Castle) and it still has the bad running in reverse.

Edited by Barry Ten

• 2 months later...

After the first 'County' 4-6-0 was built and painted, the GWR decided to reduce the amount of orange lining out on its locomotives. Lining on running plate angle and cylinders not applied thereafter. Not sure about back of Tenders though....lousy memory!

Edited by coachmann