The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Neil Armstrong dies

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-19381098

Very sad news, although he had a good innings.

A very brave man to do what he did with the rudimentary (compared to today) technology available at the time.

He uttered those immortal words

"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

and

"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

I remember being allowed to stay up and watch the epic walk - 20 July 1969.

R.I.P Neil

Edit - added link to sound clip

A very private man who inspired millions. What a contrast to the millions of wannabes who seek fame and achieve nothing.

In my old lab at Farnborough we had a set of clothing worn by the early Apollo astronauts in our tea room. We never had to look far for inspiration in our work!

Rest in Peace, Neil Armstrong.

• RMweb Gold

I was night turn when this epic event occurred. Several of us left the office and took the lift to floor 10, thence onto the roof of Essex House, to stare at that distant orb, on which a man like us now stood. Yes, a moment to savour.

RIP.

• RMweb Gold

In my old lab at Farnborough we had a set of clothing worn by the early Apollo astronauts in our tea room. We never had to look far for inspiration in our work!

a truly insperational man, amazing to see the craft they flew to the moon in...

here is our little un looking at neil armstorngs real space suit

IMG_1466.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Ad Astra Neil.

It's not a quote from Armstrong, but for me it sums up the the spirit, determination and bravery of people like him.

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"

Tom.

• RMweb Premium

While I myself did not yet exist back in '69, it sure was a remarkable feat which Neil, his colleagues and all the countless people at NASA accomplished – well worthy of immortality in our minds.

So, let me just say – RIP, Neil Armstrong, and Godspeed on your journey beyond the stars.

I remember being glued to the TV screen as a 15 year old lad awe struck.

I was lucky enough a few years later to go to Florida and see the rockets ,you dont realise just how big they are and how tiny we are compared to them, but what a huge achievement they made.

A sad day today a living legend and hero in my lifetime.

Rest in peace Neil you've now took the final step.

Rest I peace. Neil Armstrong. The man who inspired a generations young and old to look up at the stars and dream the impossible. Maybe your passing will br the beginning of a new breed of dare devils to make the journey to mars and beyond. Many people will remember this as a sad day for years to come but you will always inspire those who are here and have those who are doing the impossible.

Big James

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-19381098

Very sad news, although he had a good innings.

A very brave man to do what he did with the rudimentary (compared to today) technology available at the time.

He uttered those immortal words

"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

and

"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

R.I.P Neil

Edit - added link to sound clip

Very sad news indeed. I was in the back room of 'The Globe' inn at Buckfastleigh with two friends at the time of the landing, having just left school and being on a three week camping holiday around Dartmoor. The loss of some people, even though you don't personally know them, impacts upon you more than others. This is one of them.

I think that very likely Geoff, the youngest of the astronauts to walk on the moon was Charles Duke and he is now 77. I'm not aware of any current plans to send a man there again and it would surely take several years planning.

And then there were eight.

I wonder if there will again be a time when no living human has walked on the moon?

Geoff Endacott

I think that's a sad truth which may in years to come be true.

A moment which influenced generations, never to be repeated.

I built a model of Apollo 11 when I was young - my late uncle was a Pratt & Whitney man, and though he personally never worked on anything NASA related, his respect and awe for the engineering involved has remained with me ever since.

The saddest thing is that Armstrongs death won't stop the moon hoax theories coming out, I suspect.

The saddest thing is that Armstrongs death won't stop the moon hoax theories coming out, I suspect.

Very true Simon but I would ask that we restrict post here to condolences and the positive rather than go down that line please.

Very sad news indeed.

There was always some rivalry between Armstrong and Adrin about who should step out first, Aldrin feeling he was the more able communicator with a wider appreciation of the historical impact of what they were doing. Armstrong, of course, was the commander, so had priority. In the end it came down to practicality, for Aldrin to exit first, they would have to swap seats.

Armstrong was evidently a very private introverted man who was very focused on doing the best possible job, without dreaming about the historical significances, which is of course what made him an ideal test pilot, and the best possible choice to command Apollo 11.

In my mind, and I think how history will remember him, Armstrong's private, non-celebrity approach to life is perhaps the greatest statement about what he and everyone else involved in the Apollo program achieved: humanity succeeded in putting a man on the Moon, and the first man there was no superman, but a brilliant, ordinary, private family man.

Not a film star, he was just like the rest of us. And he went to the Moon. Armstrong will remain an inspiration for generations long into the future, a reminder that our greatest achievements have little to do with glamour or fame.

David

Archived