Lulworth Castle, 1930's to 2000's

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Well now that there are two reasons to get on with it I got distracted from clearing up after the freemo build when I found my ballast supplies and started experimenting.

So far the closest to most of the pictures in Andrew Wrights excellent "The Swanage Branch in Colour", is the one bottom left but I think I'll add a touch of the dark grey too.

post-6968-0-09442100-1405893465.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Paul's sporadic build continues!

Ok 6 months to the first outing and I'm not trying to do it in four weeks like I did with the US Sunnydale layout ;) on the plus side that was effectively 21ft x1ft so this is proportionally smaller at 9x1¼ ft.

The main problem I've had is too much work and not enough nice days when I'm off and heavy construction in the flat is a bit anti social to downstairs.

I finally got the cabinets up from the friends barn a few weeks back and they met with domestic approval with no provisos :) So while the Boss is away on yet another conference final board construction took place.

I can't leave it like this all the time but I can leave the trolleys down with the main scenic boards out and still get way access to the spare room.

As you can see the Boss has already found a use for the handles :)

This is at the normal lower height for shows of 40inches and the legs are pre drilled for the extensions to conform to the modular format too.

post-6968-0-87960400-1413544984.jpg

You can see the leg arrangement and I'm about to drill the locating holes, for the metal bracket in the centre of the leg, that anchor it in place so it can't slide off the cabinets.

post-6968-0-35770800-1413545093.jpg

And this is how far it sticks out into the hallway.

post-6968-0-44156500-1413545211.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

See getting it inside and set up is good for the mojo.

The platform will only take three coaches and a loco, (a result of using the old light railway alignments), and you can only run round two so you have to make sure there's a goods timetabled so you can borrow their engine if they request a longer special than the standard two coach pull push sets ;) mind you in steam days they'd probably just ring the Camp and borrow their loco for a while to release the train engine.

post-6968-0-18792300-1413550747.jpg

post-6968-0-65810600-1413550764.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Final bit today, this is the alignment plate to keep the two trolleys together. The outer 4 bolts are araldite'd in permanently and it's secured by the two inner bolts. The holes in the trolley are countersunk to ease aligning the plate. It's not 100% rigid but it will stop them being knocked apart and prevent wear on the laminated ends that face each other.

post-6968-0-04691300-1413554175.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Only one today as I've been at the garden rly show down in Exeter.

Cork is down to form the ballast shoulder and I've been playing with bits of paper to see where I need to fit magnets for kadees. Just need to find where I've hidden the router now!

post-6968-0-20536000-1413651090.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Great to see some progress, that is perhaps the neatest layout support I have ever seen...

Thanks it's sort of a happy accident as I was trying to get away from lots of small legs and their braces needing lots of bolts that would fit in the trolley. The four legs fold up and just sit in the bottom of one cabinet :)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After experiencing issues with the powerful under track kadee magnets attracting the axles I've been diverted down two routes for uncoupling.

First option is to find a supply of brass axles for the whole stock box or to go back to tension lock, not wanting to battle adjusting spratt and winkle every show from previous experience. Short of having stock only allocated to the layout and stock boxes to protect the finer couplings which wasn't what I really wanted I had to try some low key uncouplers.

I could use the clear plastic ones but they do tend to catch light in odd ways in photos.

So this is the current experiment with a slotted tube to keep it straight.

post-6968-0-41186800-1415047948.jpg

post-6968-0-84873700-1415047722.jpg

post-6968-0-83597900-1415047734.jpg

post-6968-0-60025000-1415047962.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Returning to the kadee magnets I tried to shorten them to see if I could avoid the magnet attracting the axles.
I'd assumed they were solid but they are actually rubbery can be scored a couple of times then split. I tried a 1/3 but it didn't work well so used the other 2/3 and it doesn't seem to grab the axles but does work the couplers.
Now just to decide ;)

2/3 of a magnet on the intensifier plate with mounting board on top too.
post-6968-0-86983200-1416335592.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

Hi

Why don't you try using Sprat and winkle couplings, once set up you can uncouple over the magnet and push the wagons to where you want without them recoupling up.

I have been using them for sometime now and am very happy with the way the work.

Darren

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Why don't you try using Sprat and winkle couplings, once set up you can uncouple over the magnet and push the wagons to where you want without them recoupling up.

Sorry Darren I missed this before, my concern is protecting them in transit as my only experience of them was having to faff about checking them all as they came out the stock box at a show. I agree on a home layout that visually they are much better ;)

Well a BR T9 somehow arrived in the post, how nice :) I've gone back to kadees again using a fiendish device with two 10mm disc magnets and sliding tubes. The prototype works but I need more magnets so an excuse to go to Brockenhurst show this weekend as Railroom has a shipment due by then, what he really means is he knows I'm more likely to spend more when he's got all the stuff out on display :)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is the latest version using two disc magnets in sliding tubes. The final version will have the two tubes linked so the slide up or down together to prevent the magnets attracting the axles.

The wire joining them rests on a wedge or angled rod that pushes them up via a sprung push rod on the layout edge. The rear tube is shown with the magnet tube retracted inside. It falls by gravity and if it rises due to the axles during tests I'll add a small spring to overcome it.

post-6968-0-33194500-1417548429.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

Will be interesting to see how this works. My experience with the smaller but similar Microtrains couplings was that Neodymium magnets were too strong - attracting axles - but too short a range. The couplings either didn't move enough, or snapped to the magnets up-ending the wagon!

Ferrite magnets are weaker but with a longer range, and seem better suited to these couplings - they don't attract axles much, but work the couplings better. The Kadee and Microtrains magnets are ferrite. I've used cupboard catch magnets in pairs, they can work under the sleepers if the baseboard material and ballast isn't too dense.

The method of raising them looks very cunning!

Edited by mjcampbell

• RMweb Gold

After a few weeks faffing around due an injured shoulder I got the racks installed that support the boards in transit. This might seem like faffing too but it's essential so I know it fits and I don't add stuff that fouls the higher board ;)
post-6968-0-04268100-1417733495.jpg

The legs stored underneath
post-6968-0-92404600-1417720824.jpg

The ruler shows how they are staggered so the backscene overlaps without rubbing. The backscene is 11 inches tall from the base so effectively 9 inches tall.
The top board which has the shorter scenery will have to have it removed during transit and it will store on top of the legs.
post-6968-0-87334100-1417733510.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm looking forward to the progress with the Layout as well.

You're not the only one, first show in April ;)

Work progressing but it's all hidden so not much to show. Hopefully ballasting in the next couple of weeks and spraying the track colour too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Backscenes arrived :)
Printed on self adhesive vinyl they worked out cheaper to get printed in the individual sections, less than half, rather than one long one to then cut up. I had 3 of 950 x 300 plus another one at 1200 long and all four incl £8 post for two tubes was £50 which I thought was acceptable for a weatherproof and wipe clean custom scene. Images were taken on an iPhone 5 in panorama mode them chopped up on the PC to just over the required length with an overlap to cut off.
Lulworth Castle itself even visible ;)post-6968-0-35033000-1423723572.jpg

post-6968-0-23422200-1423723582.jpg

These were cleaned up in Corel paintshop to remove aerials, satellite dishes and a large marquee. Now I just need to seal and paint the boards to mount them on to make them stable before fixing the backscenes on.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 7

Nice back-scene Paul, made up from photo(s) taken from the army 'bypass' round East Lulworth, with one of my favourite pubs ( The Weld Arms) in front of the castle grounds, just waiting for someone to do similar with Cerne Abbas.  :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

They wouldn't have the balls ;)

I was surprised the iPhone was capable of such reasonable quality for this and took the gamble because it looked good on the screen. Now I just need to avoid bubbles!

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1