I paid a visit to Caersws to see the remains of the Van Railway station but first a couple of views of the Cambrian Railways station.

post-6748-0-94758000-1349987184.jpg

The signal box, a fairly cramped 18 lever structure

post-6748-0-99707500-1349987199.jpg

On the station looking east (next station Newtown)

post-6748-0-20006900-1349987213.jpg

Looking West (next station Machynlleth)

post-6748-0-16938600-1349987532.jpg

A view of the station and signal box.

Some colour views from summer 1981

post-6748-0-00468700-1349987552_thumb.jpg

The box, the Signalman can just be seen opening the gates for an up train.

post-6748-0-88565700-1349987564_thumb.jpg

The up train waits for the signal (that is just visible on the left) and has a van attached to its rear.

post-6748-0-12975600-1349987585_thumb.jpg

End view of the box.

Walking over to the Van Railway site and along the Cambrian line (it was a Sunday and the box was unmanned) I took a few more views.

post-6748-0-01039200-1349988404.jpg

Looking East

post-6748-0-19205600-1349988389.jpg

Looking west back to the station. Van Rly on left and former goods yard on the right.

post-6748-0-85241700-1349988415.jpg

Looking into the Van Rly station site

post-6748-0-03518400-1349988462.jpg

The Van Rly station.

post-6748-0-70594700-1349988513.jpg

The station building as used by the Bridge Dept of the PWay

post-6748-0-73366700-1349988568.jpg

General view

post-6748-0-64648900-1349988688.jpg

The track bed looking up to Van Mines.

post-6748-0-51620600-1349988704.jpg

The Van Rly engine shed.

post-6748-0-68612200-1349988736.jpg

An isolated piece of double headed rail that formerly was part of the siding to the shed.

post-6748-0-78234700-1349988759.jpg

wagon stabled in the yard, built at Wolverton 1950

A notice on the engine shed side door

post-6748-0-95629200-1349989575.jpg

A B&M chair in one of the sidings

post-6748-0-67243500-1349989682.jpg

post-6748-0-89459300-1349989560.jpg

The station

post-6748-0-46134000-1349989750.jpg

End view

post-6748-0-77203300-1349989766.jpg

rear view with van parked under lean-to.

post-6748-0-71849000-1349989786.jpg

The Cambrian goods shed

post-6748-0-64806800-1349989803.jpg

BR addition.

post-6748-0-98223300-1349989812.jpg

Close up of the makers plate.

After that it was a quick trip to take a few photos at Westbury (Salop)............

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff! I always thought it was strange there was only 1 platform here, would have been useful passing point with 2 platforms.

Particularly interested in the "swinger" van on the DMU, I knew this was done on the Barnstaple line but had no idea they ran on the Cambrian as well. Would have made the DMU work hard up to Tallerddig!

EDIT - you added the 2nd set as I typed....

Din't realise the "Provender" stores were made in Exeter!

Wasn't there a Paul Lunn plan based on the Van Rly sidings in RM a while ago?

• RMweb Gold

fantastic, i would have been 7 when the first set of piccies was taken and living futher along the cambrian at llwyngwril, i remember vividly playing in the school playground and seeing what i know now to be a DMU pulling a single coal wagon towards barmouth, amazing to think they used to do things like that!!

apparently my great great grandad's family were from caersws and most of the family worked for the cambrian railway in the vicinity both as i believe traincrew and station staff, i will have to ask my dad what exactly they did, i know he was proud that when i signed the cambrian i was driving trains along the same bit of track my ancestors did 100 years previous (and knowing caersws, probably under the same signal gantrys etc)

• RMweb Gold

fantastic, i would have been 7 when the first set of piccies was taken and living futher along the cambrian at llwyngwril, i remember vividly playing in the school playground and seeing what i know now to be a DMU pulling a single coal wagon towards barmouth, amazing to think they used to do things like that!!

Hi Jim - I think this would have been around the time of the ban on loco haulage across the Barmouth (Mawddach) bridge. I remember reading that class 128 parcels units were used to haul short engineers trains during this time, maybe a few other wagons were removed back across the bridge in this way as well ?

Like so much else, they were presumably a product of the concrete works at Exmouth Junction and they got everywhere, presumably an example of centralised supply by BR.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff! I always thought it was strange there was only 1 platform here, would have been useful passing point with 2 platforms.

I guess it only needed one platform because Moat Lane Junction was quite close and it was reckoned that any crossing could have been done there.

But I was once on a late running up train that did cross a down service here. Both trains did call at the platform but I don't remember the exact sequence of manoeuvres by which it was accomplished.

• RMweb Premium

I guess it only needed one platform because Moat Lane Junction was quite close and it was reckoned that any crossing could have been done there.

But I was once on a late running up train that did cross a down service here. Both trains did call at the platform but I don't remember the exact sequence of manoeuvres by which it was accomplished.

And I forgot to mention how much I appreciated the photos :good:

So much "Old Railway" atmosphere surviving well into the post-Beeching era. It may have been 1982 but it could almost have been twenty or thirty years earlier.

Thanks to all for the kind comments :blush:

Looking at the signals, the loop was to passenger standards so I guess the up train ran into the platform and then the down train ran through the loop on to the main line, then backed into the platform behind the up train (it may have waited for the up train to leave before setting back into the platform).

I have a sketch of the SB diagram but its not scanned yet; I'll post it when I have.

When the daughter of the original manager of Van Railway - my namesake, as it happens, the Welsh poet John 'Ceiriog' Hughes - got married, the engine shed at Caersws was cleaned up and decked out for the reception, which apparently went on long into the night. The line's sole loco presumably had to stay outside for the occasion, but it would have made a nice centre-piece if they'd left it in situ!

When the daughter of the original manager of Van Railway - my namesake, as it happens, the Welsh poet John 'Ceiriog' Hughes - got married, the engine shed at Caersws was cleaned up and decked out for the reception, which apparently went on long into the night. The line's sole loco presumably had to stay outside for the occasion, but it would have made a nice centre-piece if they'd left it in situ!

Are you sure you're not confusing this with the Ivor the Engine discussions going on at the moment? I'm getting this vision of Ivor singing with the choir outside, to entertain the guests!

Are you sure you're not confusing this with the Ivor the Engine discussions going on at the moment? I'm getting this vision of Ivor singing with the choir outside, to entertain the guests!

LOL! I wonder if the historical tale is where the Ivor the Engine people got the idea?

Particularly interested in the "swinger" van on the DMU, I knew this was done on the Barnstaple line but had no idea they ran on the Cambrian as well. Would have made the DMU work hard up to Tallerddig!

Wasn't there a Paul Lunn plan based on the Van Rly sidings in RM a while ago?

I hadn't realised that the Swindon Cross-Country sets worked the Cambrian; they were my 'local' units around the Llanelli area until I left in 1973. I'd travelled on them on the Shrewsbury trains, and on Crewe-Derby trains, but was unaware they'd strayed down there. Who's units were they? Etches Park?

The lines west of Swansea saw regular tail traffic in 4-wheel vans in the early/mid 1970s- generally from Milford Haven, I believe.

• RMweb Gold

I do remember the Swindon CC units being used between Shrewsbury & Wolverhampton in the early/mid 80s, and I'm fairly sure I had a trip back from Aberystwyth on one in 1983.

I do think the Milford Haven - Swansea and Exeter - Barnstaple runs with tail traffic would be easier than over Tallerdigg though ;)

I do remember the Swindon CC units being used between Shrewsbury & Wolverhampton in the early/mid 80s, and I'm fairly sure I had a trip back from Aberystwyth on one in 1983.

I do think the Milford Haven - Swansea and Exeter - Barnstaple runs with tail traffic would be easier than over Tallerdigg though ;)

Cockett Bank would have been 'interesting'...

Another fascinating thread! It's interesting to see the changes over the years, even with the semaphore signalling.

Here's a few shots taken in 1964, on 28th July - the first shot shows a two-car DMU heading towards Machynlleth on the platform line (this was a driver training special prior to the DMUs being introduced), though it is signalled by the wonderful lower quadrant Cambrian signal, which it seems was replaced by the bracket with two upper quadrant signals in the shots by the OP:

post-384-0-25746300-1350591777_thumb.jpg

The second shot is from across the fields as 7828 "Odney Manor" approaches the station with the up working of the "Cambrian Coast Express", again showing the single down starter which was the (I assume) Cambrian Railway lower quadrant signal:

post-384-0-30666200-1350592011_thumb.jpg

The third shot shows the Van Railway Yard, looking back towards the junction with the Cambrian. The loco shed is to the left while the station building is partially hidden by rolling stock, including perhaps a four or six wheel departmental coach and what looks like an old Great Central tender, perhaps from an ROD 2-8-0. A gang of workmen have a trolley on the track and beyond is the Cambrian goods shed:

post-384-0-07012500-1350592221_thumb.jpg

Final shot is of the buffer stop at the end of track, the abandoned formation curving away to the right, while the 0 and a quarter milepost is just beyond the bufferstop:

post-384-0-08721700-1350592338_thumb.jpg

Wonderful to see the close-up shots of the relics that still graced the location in the 1980s, and looking on Google Streetview it appears that the Cambrian goods shed, the "Exeter" concrete shed, Van station building and loco shed still all survive, though how long ago the photos were taken I don't know.

Cheers, Geoff

The goods shed certainly still survives and is in industrial use of some kind, and I think the concrete shed is also still there; the loss of the goods yard and other facilities at least means that there's decent free parking at Caersws, which consequently acts as the railhead for Llanidloes, Rhayader and a number of other local spots - it's surprising just how busy the little station can be at times.

Shame the old crossing gates have gone, though!

Archived