Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Here's a few views of the interior of Port Sunlight Sidings taken 27/1/1979.

post-6748-0-41806300-1350326097.jpg

The block shelf, under the left hand block instrument is a push button that rang a bell in Port Sunlight booking office (1ring for up, 2 for down) to advise of trains stopping at the station. At the far end of the shelf is the signal light repeater. The wooden box in between the block instruments is the closing switch, to enable the box to close each night.

Underneath (and beyond) the block shelf can be seen arm repeaters for the down starter and distant mounted on a board.

post-6748-0-25548300-1350326265.jpg

the block shelf looking the other way. The shelf used to have another pair of instruments and another block switch for the (now removed) fast lines. The box at the far end is my radio!

The arm repeater for the up distant can just be seen mounted on a yellow pole.

post-6748-0-88889100-1350326346.jpg

A close-up of the block instruments, the indicator next to the block switch is for a track circuit on the down line.

post-6748-0-15239900-1350326251.jpg

The domestic side!

Behind the table is the original doorway to the box; it was moved to the other end to allow a footbridge to be built. Sink in the corner with (useless) gas water geyser above it, two lockers for the Signalmen, gas stove with kettle, gas heater that replaced the original fire, phone to Port Sunlight station above it.

post-6748-0-75685600-1350326335.jpg

The train register desk, with three omnibus circuit phones and the black phone being a direct line to Lever's. In the corner is the relay and battery cupboard for the S&T equipment.

There was no mains electricity in the box and the gas lighting survived until mid-1985.

Edited by flyingsignalman
  • Like 7

Here's a few views of the interior of Port Sunlight Sidings taken 27/1/1979.

Superbly atmospheric pictures, Keith :good: ..... I can still remember the aroma of Port Sunlight `box: a mixture of polish, the gas lamps and heater, the buttermilk soap and 'something' burning for Christine`s lunch in the cooker. :ok:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for those fantastic interior shots Keith, looking forward to trying to recreate some of that detail on the model.

Yes, IIRC they were normally positioned so the top of the windows was about level with the top of the door to the underportion.

I will look through the plans I have with me, I've got drawings of a composite box, not sure if I've got the all timber.

My interest in those windows in the rear is because (1) that side will face the public (2) the rear elevation isn't shown on the drawings which came with the kit, so I had assumed it to be just plain planking. I also note there is a vertical plank in the middle of the back wall which will need to be added (I'm assuming this was also present on the larger cabins).

It is interesting that both this and the Churchward Models kit represent the 25 lever (seven windows) version, yet these seem particularly camera shy.

The lever frame is a quandary, it really needs the LNWR tumbler frame which has stirrup handles, and as there are only 25 levers it might be worth going to the extra effort to scratch-build a correct fame...

ONLY 25 levers to scratch build; I knew I should have pushed harder to place BCB in GWR territory :devil:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a view of the gap in a frame - this is Helsby, the frame is not standard hence the gap in the frame is not in the more usual place

post-6662-0-75609100-1350332232.jpg

and the more usual between levers 18 and 19

Bromborough

post-6662-0-03268600-1350332370.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

from Wikipedia

The designation "skunk works", or "skunkworks", is widely used in business, engineering, and technical fields to describe a group within an organization given a high degree of autonomy and unhampered by bureaucracy, tasked with working on advanced or secret projects.

I've had to look up some of those words!!

A

• RMweb Gold

I think the sketches I posted earlier are a fair representation of the cabin based on the photo I have and my memories from 45 years ago, but there are a few things I would like to check out further if possible.

Photos of this part of the railway are quite rare, as it is a rail-locked site with poor access, and before 1966 was on the Slow lines from Proof House to Grand Junction / Vauxhall & Duddeston via Curzon St No.1. There are a couple of shots on Warwickshire Railways and Photos by D J Norton, but neither show the cabin.

If anyone has any photos in Curzon St Yard showing the area of the cabins, or knows of any on the web could they please let me know.

• Like 1

That's very nice. Having studied the kit I decided not to give the team the option of swapping the ends around on ours!

Yes, currently considering the options for the planking detail on the base - any suggestions gratefully received.

Nice interior detail there too - what is the best source for a suitable lever frame and other interior details?

The interior was based on a Springside's detailing kit if I remember rightly with some scratch building.

DK1

Signal box detailing kit (comlete kit of parts for interior, over 100 parts)

£14.95

DK6

Signal box interior (small)

£8.50

For the base, I think that Slaters or Evergreen do a variety of planking, I imagine you could find one that is a reasonable match?

• Like 1

Superbly atmospheric pictures, Keith :good: ..... I can still remember the aroma of Port Sunlight `box: a mixture of polish, the gas lamps and heater, the buttermilk soap and 'something' burning for Christine`s lunch in the cooker. :ok:

You forgot the "interesting" smell of the disinfectant we used for mopping the floor :blink:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Frame girders for LNW frames came in various lengths, for instance Stockport No.2 had 135 levers in 9 girders of 15. A 25 lever frame would most likely have been configured 15 + 10.

Hi Eric,

I think it was the REC frames which came in 5s, 16 + 9 or 18 + 7 would be more likely but for the model as long as Mark puts a gap in around lever 16 it will give the right impression when viewed (especially by the signal mafia !)

• RMweb Gold

Foster shows

8 10 12 14 15 16 18 for girder sizes - 10 and 15 would be good, as would 16 + 10 or 18+6, these two would allow space for a single lever to be added easily.

All conjecture and as it's a mythical place not too important as long as it's not wrong.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another bit about me.

After being born into a railwayman's household, it was pretty sure I would pick up on it quite quickly. My grandmother's father who visited had been an installer in the signal department for nearly 50 years. Her sister who lived with us worked in the Midland Goods Offices in Alport Street, opposite Central Goods Yard.

I cabbed my first engine, a Jubilee on an express at New Street, not long after I learned to walk. The driver was my grandfather's brother-in-law, who as at Monument Lane. I don't know, but it might still have been in LMS livery, probably with "British Railways" on the tender.

I started pulling signal levers, with a bit of assistance, at the age of four in New St No.2 box. Walter Prichard was the signalman on duty that day.

Hardly surprising then that a teenage railway enthusiast set off for Crewe one morning for an interview with two of the top men from the London Midland CS&TE Department. (to be continued)

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

For the base, I think that Slaters or Evergreen do a variety of planking, I imagine you could find one that is a reasonable match?

Thanks, after two failed attempts to pick up either Slaters, Wills or Evergreen planking at model shops near where I live or work, I'm going to have a go at scribing some before I place an order online.

• RMweb Gold

Very useful, thanks.

I assume the C shaped outline at the bottom of the steps is a coal bunker? From the drawing, can you suggest some dimensions for this, please?

That's correct, brick built normally. I'll check the drawing tomorrow and let you know the dimensions, looks to be about 8' square (LNW cabins were generally 12' wide)

I also found a t-shirt for the signalling mafia :O

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Knew I had it somewhere. I've just found a hand scrawled list I did c1982 showing LNW boxes on the Birmingham Division with some box types, frame numbers, dates, girder and tray sizes.

Will tidy up and post later.

This is from various notes 1966-82 with information from site or office records.

Birmingham LNW Lines Frame List.pdf

• Like 7