Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, after two failed attempts to pick up either Slaters, Wills or Evergreen planking at model shops near where I live or work, I'm going to have a go at scribing some before I place an order online.

I do have some Evergreen planking that you are welcolme to. I will measure up tonight (can't come out to play today but could run it out to you if it is what you were after. - did you try Modellers Mecca, I am within range today !!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

A few more prototype photos unearthed today; thanks Dad!

post-6677-0-81560500-1350507940_thumb.jpg

On the model, the toilet and verandah have been assembled (toilet is not yet fixed in place - to allow glazing of the door after painting)

post-6677-0-96728600-1350508089.jpg

post-6677-0-15579900-1350508232.jpg

Tonight, I have been mainly burning my fingers while assembling the walkway support brackets. 4 of 8 done so far; need a drink.....

post-6677-0-68090100-1350508357.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Just a word of caution, the Ryders Green flight is not typical of the common BCN lock type, it has seen many changes over the years, some have second hand equipment and are varied in construction. The best flight to study for a common locks used in the BCN area is the Rushall flight.

The Ryders Green flight saw some of the last proper traffic in the sixties with a mixture of long distance and local day boats passing through. Today it is kept smart but needs badly dredging, our working boat draws 3ft 3" and we have grounded out near Azda too many times!

Hi Laurance

Firstly I have sent you a personal mail (top right on the top of this page)- just exploring some memories.

The model is initially based on the 1970's so I guess a bit of second hand lock furniture would have been in place.

The projects objectives is to make the layout as typically Black Country in 1975' ish as possible. It's a tough call in a small space that is pretty well dominated by the railway.

The group believe that the canal and the railways in the black country are unseperable. We picked Ryders Green / Tipton as a basis because we are only dropping 6 foot per lock and there are many examples of shallow locks around the BC with single bottom gates. This we believe is more common in the BC (factory locks, ryders green, the walsall canal) than elsewhere around the UK and so a nice regional feature.

We need to scratch build some lock furniture / gates / paddle gear so I guess this is the area we need some help - we have measured up Tipton and Ryders green so if there are some 1970 traps please shout.

The plan is to capture a scene that is like looking at the two locks on the Wolverhampton Flight that are adjacent to railway whilst standing on Carvers rather smokey carpark. The towpath is on the carvers side of the canal and the locks are built to Tipton spec with Ryders Green overflow arrangements. The length of the pounds are a bit short but tollerable I think... The third lock, only just on the board under a road over bridge is adjacent to a canal side pub which is to be broardly based on the 8 locks at Ryders Green.

I hope to have given you an idea of the layout, what detail are we missing ? We imagine that this is a backwater canal so how overgrown might it have looked ?? I have part built a joey for parcial sinking and I am guessing that is about all of the boat traffic we need.

As I said in my personnel mail, Barnet looks great, I saw her at Tipton factory locks in the summer a far cry from my dasys with the Working Boat Project where we were instructed not to volenteer to move Barnet for H&S reasons..

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So, are you just going to clad the block of wood with plastic? :O then 2 screws from below the baseboard...

Looking good so far, love the little brackets, the comparison is a bit rich for me though, being a Yorkshireman, might wear it out...

• RMweb Premium

The plan is to capture a scene that is like looking at the two locks on the Wolverhampton Flight that are adjacent to railway whilst standing on Carvers rather smokey carpark. The towpath is on the carvers side of the canal and the locks are built to Tipton spec with Ryders Green overflow arrangements.

Photo of the Wolverhampton locks here

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Right folks, need some help looking for a few more buildings for BCB.

All should really be from the black country and suitable for the 1950-1970 period. I'm after prototype suggestions for:

1. crossing keeper hut / house / cottage for the level crossing on the industrial line

2. run down rural / farming outbuildings that have seen better days

3. scrapyard offices

4. general small but interesting industrial buildings

Answers on a postcard please folks....

Many thanks

I've been adding a few interesting photos to my "favourites" in flickr; might be something useful amongst this lot

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for this, it is really interesting; Norton Junc No.2 appears to be the closest match to our box then.

Some photos of No.1 and No.3 here, but none of No.2, unfortunately.

No.3 is a type 5 and No.1 has oversail ... I wonder what's the chance of No.2 being a standard cabin ?

Sadly Eric didn't record the construction (or hasn't published it) it could well be a composite (brick base) cabin anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

Firtree House had sprung to my mind too - but I haven't checked how many levers it was fitted with, that was tonight's job, call in at home and collect the Lancashire Triangle books and have a read for two reasons, to see if I could find a box and because I haven't done so for a while.

Sandersons Sidings is another potential candidate iirc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Vol 1 does have a picture of an all timber box, Cromptons Sidings, which wasn't too far away.

<snip>

Also in the same collection is one for Ince Moss Junction box (albeit on a grander scale than Firtree House)

Both LMS boxes.

I like the idea of it jutting out from the embankment on a timber platform, particularly as space is tight between our line and the canal

Firtree House was special, it also controlled the low level lines (actually the West Coast main line) so had to be located at the intersection, the likelihood is a more convenient spot would have been chosen if the engineers had been allowed free rein.

• RMweb Gold

Failed on signalbox recognition!

I didn't think that Firtree House had any input onto the actual WCML operations, that role being taken by Bamfurlong Junction and Springs Branch No 1?

Afraid your knowledge of Firtree goes with your signal box recognition skills ! :P

• RMweb Gold

No.3 is a type 5 and No.1 has oversail ... I wonder what's the chance of No.2 being a standard cabin ?

Sadly Eric didn't record the construction (or hasn't published it) it could well be a composite (brick base) cabin anyway.

I think that No.2 was burnt down pretty early on. As far as I remember it was composite. All wood boxes were a bit rare around the BC due to underground fires which burned for long periods.

IIRC No.2 was the one where we had a complaint from the mother about her child getting hurt whilst out playing. She hung up rapidly when I referred her to BTP who were investigating repeated vandalism in the area.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi ,

don't know if this helps, A london rd kit on a scratchbuilt body with an interior ( Gresty Lane )

I found it took longer to build the kit as opposed to a scratchbuild?

cheers

Peter

That's very nice Peter, hope my looks that good. I know what you mean about the time taken; but not sure my scratchbuild skills are up to it.