Hornby Magazine OO Gauge Brake Tender

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

Just had an email from Key Publishing with pre-ordering details for the 3 green versions at the 'pre-registered' price of £22.99. Those with a pre-register code can also present the code at the Hornby Magazine stand at Warley this weekend to purchase their tender(s).

Blue one (the one I want) is still 'Coming Soon', so I'll hang fire for the moment.

Running the risk of sounding somewhat Adrianesque; I've had a look at the latest pics on the Hornby magazine website and compared them to some ex works transparencies I have for Dia 1/555 DBT's. Some observations, made, admittedly some quite pedantic are listed below. I've tried to keep comments to body only as I appreciate the many compromises needed to the bogies to accommodate different types of couplings and commercial 16.5mm track standards.

Body cladding joints too prominent.

Bolts for removable cladding panels  (vacuum cylinder access) too prominent.

Horizontal bolts along bottom of top VCA cladding plate missing.

Horizontal bolts along top of side VCA cladding plate missing.

Hand brake wheel has incorrect number of spokes for majority of Diag.1/555 DBT's as introduced.

Side handrails should be level with horizontal cladding join.

All handrails protrude from bodywork by excessive amount. Some 1/555 DBT's were built without the end handrails.

Buffers including shanks look far too anaemic.

Bogies should protrude beyond bottom of body side tumblehome by 0.6mm.

Typeface too heavy and incorrect. Vacuum Release stars missing. Lift and paint dates missing from left hand end' BO date missing from Centre, date Oiled and Maintenance due date,( backed in red panels) missing from RH side. On-Off script missing from above brake wheels.

Poor representation of vacuum release holes and placed too high.

One Vacuum Release hole missing on one side.

Poor representation of Label clip and positioned incorrectly in relation to vacuum release access hole.

I've probably missed a few things.

So having said all of the above I gone and ordered (at full price) from this page:

https://shop.keypublishing.com/site/searchList

...one of the all green jobbies. Once it arrives it will be out with the tools to see if I can sort some of the discrepancies.

Here's a decent pic to compare with those on the Hornby Mag website.

9178202212_12fc9ec253_c.jpgTrain 473 by Bruce Grime, on Flickr

P

I'll let you know when it arrives. Will you be having one?

P

No,probably not..... I built the ABS one several years ago, I replaced the bogies having dropped it, but it runs really well.

I used Bachmann replacement bogies, and replaced the wheels with Romfords.

Having said that, the finish looks much better than mine, certainly far more comprehensive lettering and fine detailing.

After all, the ABS one is a huge lump (well several castings) of whitemetal.

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 1

After all, the ABS one is a huge lump (well several castings) of whitemetal.

Don't I know it. I'm currently building my Mk VI version.

Here's the Mk. 1 version started some 25 years ago. Despite it's faults the ABS tender still looks to be setting the standard even though things have moved on immeasurably since then..

post-508-0-84129100-1448642523.jpg

P

Edit: Thinking about it, I'm probably up to about the Mk. IX version as I'd forgot about the original Mopok versions with the Vac. formed bodies I'd built way back in the seventies.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Just had an email from Key Publishing with pre-ordering details for the 3 green versions at the 'pre-registered' price of £22.99. Those with a pre-register code can also present the code at the Hornby Magazine stand at Warley this weekend to purchase their tender(s).

Blue one (the one I want) is still 'Coming Soon', so I'll hang fire for the moment.

Thanks.......just checked, and yes I too have the email, so will be collecting mine tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up from CloggyDog and 250Bob. I'd preregistered my interest on 14 November 2013, but didn't get a confirmation until I chased Key Publishing, and then didn't get the e-mail that Cloggy and Bob did yesterday. Chased up Key Publishing and my order form and code came through late last night. As they link this weekends Warley as a possible delivery option on the e-mail, if you have preregistered and haven't received the e-mail with your order price reduction code I'd chase up Key Publishing, as the intention seems to be to get info to preregistered potential customers just before Warley.

• RMweb Premium

Don't I know it. I'm currently building my Mk VI version.

Here's the Mk. 1 version started some 25 years ago. Despite it's faults the ABS tender still looks to be setting the standard even though things have moved on immeasurably since then..

attachicon.gifDBT1992.jpg

P

Edit: Thinking about it, I'm probably up to about the Mk. IX version as I'd forgot about the original Mopok versions with the Vac. formed bodies I'd built way back in the seventies.

Is the lettering on your model from the old Mopok transfer sheet ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Is the lettering on your model from the old Mopok transfer sheet ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The tender was on it's second repaint and from memory (that's getting more hazy as time goes by) the lettering was from a variety of sources, with waterslide, Kings Cross rub on, methfix  & free hand being used. I don't think anything is from an original mopok sheet. The reason I say that is I've got no recollection of  the original mopok DBT kits being supplied with transfers.  

I should have some notes on what I used but where they are is anybodies guess. If I find anything I'll let you know.

p  

• RMweb Premium

Owing to work, I am unable to get to Warley but have taken the plunge and ordered one on line. From what I have read now people have seen it, it might not be 100% in its detail but from when Hornby Magazine first showed their CAD drawings on here I think they have made huge changes to what they might have produced had not been for the input of the RMweb members saying "Oi Matey that ain't rite". Thanks for listening.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

.... I've got no recollection of  the original mopok DBT kits being supplied with transfers.

I was referring to the large, long sheet of waterslide transfers that was, I think, produced by Mopok; MTK later produced something similar. Those of us who are at or beyond their mid-sixties will no doubt correct me if my memory is failing me !!

I have checked my folder of transfer sheets and, whilst I found plenty of partly-used MTK sheets, there was no sign of the larger Mopok sheet. I am convinced, nonetheless, that the latter included lettering for the DBT.

I did find a Woodhead Models sheet for BR wagons that included "COUPLING OF ATTACHING VEHICLE TO BE USED" and "EMERGENCY SCREW COUPLING", which I think are applicable to the DBT.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I picked up my Brake Tender at the show yesterday........for me, it looks brilliant.......and couldn't give a monkeys if its a bit out in the detail, cos I certainly wouldn't know.

It looks like a Brake Tender, and its already running on my layout...................nice model.

Bob

• Like 4

I picked up my Brake Tender at the show yesterday........for me, it looks brilliant.......and couldn't give a monkeys if its a bit out in the detail, cos I certainly wouldn't know.

It looks like a Brake Tender, and its already running on my layout...................nice model.

Bob

Would you be able to post a few pictures of it please?

• Like 1

Hmmm - I took one look today and thought "it's terrible" ..................... it just didn't convey the appearance of the prototype - the "dome" is not tall enough and too flat.

but then what do I know - I like the original Heljan Crompton ..................................... my PDK one will be remaining in service though.

Bob

I empathise and after all it is YOUR model railway so best of luck to you.

But as an earlier Poster wrote, it amazes me that the manufacturers, the Subject Matter Experts, aren't.... 

Hmmm - I took one look today and thought "it's terrible" ..................... it just didn't convey the appearance of the prototype - the "dome" is not tall enough and too flat.

but then what do I know - I like the original Heljan Crompton ..................................... my PDK one will be remaining in service though.

I am not a rivet counter, but as I have said numerous times before, if the outline, shape and sizes looks right and other details can be added by those who wish to, then that's a good RTR model, but, of late, this doesnt seem to be the case for many RTR releases....I cant fathom it, with some manufacturers it aint a case of more haste less speed as some models have been delayed for years!

Oh well the planet keeps spinning so we must still be okay LOL!

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Premium

Cheers for the photos Bob.

The thing that stands out to me is the handrails, and they do seem to stand out but they look like they can be rectified easily if need be.

The locos lamps look wonderfull, I hope they will be a spare that Dapol will do.

• Like 1