Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Premium

Is it the Hornby one?  Mine sounds nothing like a 350, no traction motor whine and it doesn't have the hollow sounding exhaust note that is so distinctive.  It'll be getting a Legobiffoman update - I have his Peak sounds in a V4.0 and it is superb.

Sorry for the delay in responding Neal. Yes it's the Hornby 08 (D3511).

How much did Leggoman charge for the re-blow Barry? Was it done at a show or did you have to send it off?

Good to hear that it's just not my hearing that's getting wonkier!

• RMweb Premium

I think he charged me £15 - bargain.  He also re-allocated some functions for me as I only have F1 - F8 on my Lenz LH90!  The flange squeal sound is soooo evocative!

Yeah, the Hornby sounds in the 350 are rubbish,  a shame as it may put folk off - so much more can be achieved.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for the delay in responding Neal. Yes it's the Hornby 08 (D3511).

How much did Leggoman charge for the re-blow Barry? Was it done at a show or did you have to send it off?

Good to hear that it's just not my hearing that's getting wonkier!

I bought a new one - in the Bachmann 08 the smaller Loksound chip fits in the roof of the cab, the speakers (two sugar cubes) go behind the radiator. 

Baz

It has been some time since my last post so I thought a quick up date may be in order. Truth is that following all the frenetic activity getting the railway ready for EM North, it did take a back seat for some time. Having now cleared the backlog on the domestic "to do list" I can get back to the important things in life!!

Some of you may recall from my Bradfield thread that once I have a layout working I like to give it a thorough work out to ensure that everything is reliable before moving on and this is the stage that I am at. So no progress on the layout itself apart from laying in the headshunt at the west end of the north carriage sidings. However, I have not been idle but have been concentrating on converting more locos and stock, tweaking couplings and running gear etc. So a couple of pics are in order:-

post-10660-0-40754000-1415270400_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-39311600-1415270399_thumb.jpg

A few old favourites from Bradfield plus a couple of newcomers to the DMU fleet all sitting quietly in the NCS.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not if you place it where the buffers hapg over the end of the rails...if its good enough for mike edge its good enough for me!

But it's neither my layout nor my loco and as I always try to look after other people's belongings better than my own............

I've been following construction of this layout with interest particularly its lightweight construction as I have recently had serious spinal surgery and can't lift heavy loads. I had a close look at the layout at Expo EM and was very impressed.

To cut a long story short I now have all my baseboards constructed as per Leeds City and have reached the point where foam underlay has been laid. In some respects I've reduced the weight further by reducing the depth of the sides, ends and cross members. In addition I've reduced the cross section of the softwood too. However the flavour remains "Leeds City" throughout.

Next challenge is laying track, some of which is ready to lay. How has the track been fixed to the foam underlay?

• 2 weeks later...

As I said some time back, my intention at the moment is to give the railway a good workout to satisfy myself that all is in order and running is reliable. The problem I have is that I find it difficult to run trains with no purpose so decided to create a sequence, however once I got started I decided to develop the full timetable instead. So i have spent the last few weeks transferring the 1962 WTT on to an Access database and working out platform allocations, siding occupancy etc along with shunt moves required to get stock in the right place. With a little help from friends, I now have the 24hr WTT on screen and have started to work through it. It soon became apparent that I needed some more stock, especially parcels vehicles so more Gibson wheels have been fitted and Spratt and Winkle couplings. I resorted to a spreadsheet to calculate the number of vans to include in each working without running out in the Fiddle Yard or sidings!! I have also converted and sound fitted more DMUs giving a total available of 9 two car units which will hopefully be sufficient. Loco availability is still limited to Peak diesels at this time but the next task is to get to grips with converting some steam. Yesterday it took two of us three hours to work three hours of the WTT. 

John E.

• Like 11