westerhamstation

Talking of grass, I really like you dead pale grass mixed in with the live stuff, I have bought some extra colours to improve my own.And a nice tone too. I also like the 'soil' colour. Nice observation, something that we routinely expect from you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More superb stuff!

The fourth picture looks especially real, even despite the unfinished baseboard in the foreground.

The blending of the backscene into the foregound is perfect.

Judging by the grass, the gates haven't been shut much recently...

Al.

• RMweb Gold

I love the textures and colours in your road surfaces,. Are they paint with pastels on top?

Hi Jason, has the snow melted yet, the road surfaces are a mixture of much thinned down enamel paints, pva glue left to dry and parts of it ripped off with parcel tape which leaves it all a bit random, then overpainted again, and some feathering of the paint round the different colours and a bit of luck. Regards adrian

• RMweb Gold

I like the green fencing....can I ask where you sourced it? You know what they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery  :sungum:

I love the wear on the roads too.

Hi Jaz, the fencing is the Ratio GWR spear top fencing, you can get it in green but I brought the black version and painted it SR green. In places it should be hooped top fencing but that is quite expensive and only available from one supplier, I did very briefly contemplate making my own but common sense kicked in.  all the best Adrian

• Like 1

The white painted stone sign opposite the platform at Brasted Station was a nice feature of this country station and one that needed to be modelled...

Absolute perfection. It makes me wish that when I repaired the sign in the mid-1960s I'd put a border on it but I don't think there were enough stones left at that time. They're presumably scattered in the foundations of the M25 now.

Brasted is coming on in leaps and bounds now. Are thoughts beginning to turn to Chevening Halt now? Quite short, hardly a challenge at all really. :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Absolute perfection. It makes me wish that when I repaired the sign in the mid-1960s I'd put a border on it but I don't think there were enough stones left at that time. They're presumably scattered in the foundations of the M25 now.

Brasted is coming on in leaps and bounds now. Are thoughts beginning to turn to Chevening Halt now? Quite short, hardly a challenge at all really. :rolleyes:

Hi Ron, I am really pleased that you like the stone brasted sign as you remember the original and also repaired it. funny that you should mention Chevening Halt as i was only thinking about the possibilities of having ago at it when I finish Brasted. I am moving onto the Goods Yard next and am stuck for information about the area by the gates, there is mention of an earth built loading bay? does any one have any idea what that would look like or how it would have been constucted, the area that I am lacking any pictures or information on is within the circle. any help please, all the best Adrian

post-17489-0-52139200-1391946462_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Brasted Station Austerity Ballaster with added Toothbrush.

Now never one to spend money on fancy gadgets, like see through plastic ballasters, I had a go at making my own version from card and a sawn down toothbrush.( by now you are possibly thinking how tight can this person get ). Anyway here it is on it's first trial, with a bit of track that wasn't fastened down so it moved a bit but it does work,  it took a  few seconds to ballast that trial bit of track and with a little bit more care and a bit of a tidy would be ready for the old pva.

A few points, the inside dimension of the box needs to be the finished width of the ballast, the working edge of the card was hardend with superglue, and the profile of the shaped piece of card needs to touch the top of the sleeper and the top of the rail, the function of the toothbrush is to clean the top of the sleeper and around the chair.

( I have got some explaining to Mrs W Station as to the whereabouts of her toothbrush ).

I have just noticed that the photos have not gone into the sequence that I posted them.

post-17489-0-74209200-1392042108_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-81120600-1392042124_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-65276700-1392042169_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-23454800-1392042196_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-43758800-1392042218_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-15903000-1392042235_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-46220200-1392042250_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-92399800-1392042265_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-03537100-1392042594_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-47676200-1392042610_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-16715600-1392042633_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 2

I never ventured into the goods yard as it was still used as a coal yard after the station closed we usually got told to bug**r off sonny. But I seem to recall that there was an shed behind the gates on the left and the coil staiths where further down the siding, They where certainly some way down when I used to pick coal up in the 70's after the station had been demolished along with some form of coal hopper, never noticed if there was a loading bank there.

Hi Adrian,

Your Kitchener Ballaster has just reminded me of a thought I had a while back and didn't investigate it  ........

Q. Could you put wet Ballast in a suitable waterproof Ballasting machine, of the pattern you made there  .......   :scratchhead: .....   on the grounds it might short cut one of the processes  .........

• RMweb Gold

I never ventured into the goods yard as it was still used as a coal yard after the station closed we usually got told to bug**r off sonny. But I seem to recall that there was an shed behind the gates on the left and the coil staiths where further down the siding, They where certainly some way down when I used to pick coal up in the 70's after the station had been demolished along with some form of coal hopper, never noticed if there was a loading bank there.

Hi BigHerb, thanks for your reply, it seems that information on the goods yard is going to be difficult to find after all this time. all the best Adrian

Those expensive ones would spread the Ballast everywhere Jaz  ..........................  

better than the expensive ones. I used our bought one a couple of times then went back to by hand.....

...............................................    and all that buzzing would get on my nerves too   .....................    :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian,

Your Kitchener Ballaster has just reminded me of a thought I had a while back and didn't investigate it  ........

Q. Could you put wet Ballast in a suitable waterproof Ballasting machine, of the pattern you made there  .......   :scratchhead: .....   on the grounds it might short cut one of the processes  .........

Hi Julian, I think that if you put wet ballast in it wouldn't spread but just end up stuck in the hopper and not drop down onto the track, I will leave it to someone else to try that experiment... :yes:  all the best Adrian

Edited by westerhamstation