The stuff we collect. What have you got in your railway memorabilia collection?

As a life long railway enthusiast I have been very lucky that many people have over the years shared or given me items of railway interest, most of these items have very little value, but many have a story to tell.

As an occasional thread I would like to show a few of these items and maybe tell their story and it would be great if others would like to add items of their own on here too.

My great uncle was the gate keeper at Brook Crossing on the South Eastern & Chatham Railway line between Guildford and Dorking in the 1920s & 30s, he had only one leg and his son, my uncle Jack, who died in his 90s and was the last person I knew with a strong Surrey Hills accent, told me story's of how he would climb the signal posts to replenish the oil.
When we relocated Jack to sheltered housing for the last years of his life I hunted out a cold chisel which he kept in an outhouse and that I remembered being shown as a child of 8 or 9, stamped on it is SECR , and with a different type of stamp S has been stamped on 4 sides.

http://DSCF5760.jpg

http://DSCF5761.jpg

This is a postcard of Brook Crossing taken from the road that I found among Jack's photos, the gate keepers cottage can be seen to the right of the gates with the signal cabin to the left.

http://IMG_00082-1.jpg

Here is a link to a picture I recently found on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29644579@N07/7227128714/in/faves-45603744@N06/

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Nowt as interesting as this. I've got a few letters from Shed Foremen with loco lists, some works wheel tags, a WR water gauge spanner, loads old old bits of paperwork, wagon labels and some tickets (sold the best ones a few years back), a slightly damaged WR ground signal 'fac, a MR Platform 1 sign from Guide Bridge, an ER (orange NER area) Porter's cap badge and 90059's front number plate (W.D. ex Frodingham). I've got some Polish loco plates but that doesn't count.........I don't think I've got anything else, but I remember having had  bog cart destination blind from Scotland and BR Guard's van lamp that I was give when I lived in Wellingborough.

I often look back and think of the stuff I could have had as it was just lying around sheds and dumps. However, at the time I only had a bike and number plates are bl**dy heavy and signal arms are rather too big for a rucksack. Also, when I were a lad, I had no money........

P @ 36E (ex 83D)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a life long railway enthusiast I have been very lucky that many people have over the years shared or given me items of railway interest, most of these items have very little value, but many have a story to tell.

As an occasional thread I would like to show a few of these items and maybe tell their story and it would be great if others would like to add items of their own on here too.

his is a postcard of Brook Crossing taken from the road that I found among Jack's photos, the gate keepers cottage can be seen to the right of the gates with the signal cabin to the left.

http://IMG_00082-1.jpg

Here is a link to a picture I recently found on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29644579@N07/7227128714/in/faves-45603744@N06/

What a fantastic photograph, so evocative - I want to live there!

Thanks for posting.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, I really daren't start trying to list it all but it's a right old mixture although fortunately I have GNR and GWR paperweights to keep some of it from wandering.  So several block instruments and a couple of block bells, several signalbox diagrams including one in its original glass case, a mass of sample paperwork from a large selection of Pre-Group companies but including such entertainment as a couple of WC&PR trains staff tickets, various timetables with the earliest from the 1850s, GWR/Western Region General Appendix coverage from1921 to 1972 including most amendments (missing some prior to 1937 and a couple post 1960), GWR/WR Block Regulations fairly complete but missing some amendments in the 1920s - 40s again from 1921 to 1972s, intermittent GWR Rule Book coverage prior to 1936 then complete with all supplements up to 1973 then right up to the present but missing some amendments, a few pictures (mostly unframed), a large number of postcards, a few oddments of cast iron,  oh and a long suffering but reasonably understanding wife (who is very far from being a relic of course) although she does get a bitratty when I spend an hour checking amendment dates and other details in order to answer queries on RMweb. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Various rule books, sectional appendices, public and working timetables which I often use when sorting out photos and when planning my model railway timetables.

Regulations for Train Signalling and Signalmen's General Instructions - BR, excluding Western Region

The Steam Locomotive - Its failures and how to deal with them (LNER)

Questions and Answers upon the Rules and Regulations affecting Signalmen by a Stationmaster 1924

Swiss signalling book produced by SBB

I had an uncle who started as a clerk on the LMS and ended up somewhere in BR's management structure (I didn't keep in close touch).  Shorty before she died his widow gave me various bits and pieces:

LNWR map of the British Isles

Railway Clearing House map of Yorkshire District (south sheet) 1923

Railway Clearing House map of Yorkshire District (south sheet) 1912 stamped "Great Central Railway Fares and Rates Dept 19th June 1912"

Airey's Railway Map of the East of England dated 1885

North Staffordshire Railway Ordnance Map (1836 geological survey edition, in colour) with the railway hand? drawn, parts 1 and 2.  Apparently produced by the North Staffs.

LMS Public timetable Summer 1939

GCR Acme Thunderer whistle

BR oil tail lamp - found in a cupboard when my parents moved into a new house years ago

Plus other odds and ends.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

What a fantastic photograph, so evocative - I want to live there!

Thanks for posting.

Alas time doesn't stand still...........

Brook Crossing Box ceased to be a block post in 1955 and closed totally on 19th July 1965, displaced by automatic half barriers. The little South Eastern & Chatham Rly crossing keepers cottage was swept away along with all the others along this cross country railway line.

My uncle jack did not follow his father into railway service, but took up employment in 1920 for a local grocery shop chain, Forrest Stores, his first job was pushing a hand delivery cart around the village of shere which is a couple of miles from Brook.

During the 2nd WW Jack joined the home guardhttp://www.sheredelight.com/photographs.html,(1/3 of the way down the page, 2nd from the left.) after the war Jack married and lived all his married life in Pilgrims Way, Shere. By this time Jack was a lorry driver for Forrest Stores and I can remember while waiting for my bus to school, clutching my two old pennys bus fare, Jack would drive past in his lumbering lorry, lean half out of the cab and shout out  'HELLO GEOFFREY.'...... making me feel about 10 feet tall.

I have Jacks gold watch that was presented to him in 1960 by Forrest Stores for 40 years loyal service. I think Jack Cooper lived in a different age.

Thanks for all the replys.

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow, some fascinating stuff there guys.

My ex's father worked in S&T on the Western Region up until his untimely death 4 months before I got married (in 1982) and was, I am told, heavily involved with a lot of the resignalling schemes in the West Country in the late 70's and right up to his death. How true, I don't know, but I am also told that some resignalling was postponed as a result of his demise until suitable staff could be trained in his role/skill set. I've never been able to corroborate that though.

As for memorabilia I'm afraid I can only run to a lower quadrant home signal arm (came from the Bristol area), a couple of telegraph wire insulators (from the Pensford area apparently), a genuine Acme Thunderer engraved BR(WR), a couple of interlocking diagrams, some signal box logs and a couple of what I have seen described as signal box repeaters for showing the position of signals out of sight of the box. Again these came from BR(WR) but may well date back a lot further as all of these items were acquired in the 1970's. Sadly the oil lamp I did have didn't last and all I have left of that is the bullseye lens (somewhere).

Rather like Mike's WC&P items - reference to the WC&P is almost always good for raising a chuckle. Used to be on my doorstep nearly as well.

• Like 1

I'm slowly building up bits and pieces for my one day man room - mostly targets from the Reading to Waterloo Line. There's no real back story except they're items that my family would have stood near, seen and travelled through their various locations during large parts of their life. A little nod to the past I guess.

7c45bf6bbc3073787f316de1cdbf4dbc.jpg

Although I do have a restoration project that's probably more suited to a garage wall. I've got a photo of my Uncle (who got me into this hobby) stood in front of it in the 1960s - there's a couple of little blemishes that allow it to be matched up (plus a whole load more that it's collected in the last 40 years!).

iphonemabob001.jpg

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

As I said in another topic I have a home arm from the signal in this pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/ingythewingy/7410059066/ as the date of the pic is when I was away at college I can only surmise that the arm I have was the one that was replaced by the one in the pic. It was dropped in the undergrowth below the signal and recovered by me from my Aunt's garden adjacent.

It was screwed to the wall of the study until it was remodeled last year. I still need to convince SWMBO that it should go back on the wall :no:

• Like 1

I'm slowly building up bits and pieces for my one day man room - mostly targets from the Reading to Waterloo Line. There's no real back story except they're items that my family would have stood near them, seen them and travelled through their vvarious locations during large parts of their life. A little nod to the past I guess.

7c45bf6bbc3073787f316de1cdbf4dbc.jpg

Although i do have a restoration project that's probably more suited to a garage wall. I've got a photo of my Uncle (who got me into this hobby) stood in front of it in the 1960s - there's a couple of little blemishes that allow it to be matched up (plus a whole load more that it's collected in the last 40 years!).

iphonemabob001.jpg

Pix

Love that Reading General running in board Pix - I recently aquired a tatty BR 'corporate image' platform sign from there, definitely a keeper as Reading holds some very special memories for me. Also got a totem from Maidenhead which Sue's parents would have stood under many times when they lived in the town and caught trains to Padd or Reading and beyond. It was rescued from a skip outside the station in 1970 by the chap I bought it from on ebay, it turns out he's a volunteer driver on the WSR.

Got a few other bits 'n' bobs including a skokebox plate from a BR Standard 75xxx, two of the later BR signs which once hung from Rugby's LNWR overall roof and a pair of semaphore stop arms, one of which I found in the weeds next to the Luton Bute Street branch a couple of years back after the P/Way bods had found it with their strimmer and discarded it whilst clearing the track bed. Also stashed away somewhere are some small cab fittings from 47s and 50s - fault light covers, instrument nametags etc.

post-7638-0-68277000-1358864566_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-98255700-1358865502_thumb.jpg

For me, the condition of these items is irrelevant, the joy of knowing they survive at all and having them to look at is more important.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Oh I forgot all that station name type stuff.  Not much but some of it is definitely on the rare side - 

WR totem from Taffs Well

Taff Vale Railway backlit quarterlight window station name (also from Taffs Well), a few of these survive at Pontypridd otherwise they are extinct or stuffed away in private collections.

BR(WR) small size rectangular station nameplate originally used on lamp standards before totems came along from Reading.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Among other things are a works plate from a loco that worked in a quarry near my childhood home that the quarry mananger, who was a neighbour, gave me after it was cut up.  Also a framed 2 chain plan of Woodlesford Station that originally belonged tp the stationmaster.  Plus all sorts of bits of paperwork and odds and ends.

All full of personal memories .

Jamie

I hair a fair sized collection of various bit and pieces but this is my favourite..

post-4034-0-82160500-1358877498_thumb.jpg

I describe it as probably the rarest key token instrument you will ever see. It needs two auxiliary key token instruments attached plus one ordinary instrument at the far end of the section..

The relays attached to this unit are 

LR           4 ohm neutral polar

(GY)AR    250 ohm neutral polar

(ST)AR    250 ohm neutral polar

(GY)BR    1000 ohm 6F/B neutral

(ST)BR     1000 ohm 6F/B neutral

(GY)CR    1000 ohm 6F/B neutral

(ST)CR     1000 ohm 6F/B neutral 

SYR          10 ohm biassed moving iron

35SR        1000 ohm 4 F/B (for starting signal release)

For those who don't know what the relays are they are railway shelf type and take up a whole 10 foot shelf in my cabinet.

There were no circuit diagrams available and it provided many happy hours of working out how it did it's business..

• Like 4

Thanks again for all the replies its great to hear and see what you have but much more interesting to hear the personal stories behind the items, where they came from, how you came upon them, some of the history.

We have many long winter evenings yet to go, so pick out individual items and tell us what they mean to you ,or the pictures they conjure up.

Of course I quite understand if how you came across them or where they came from is lost in the mists of time, after all many of these items would have been lost forever if we had not saved them, I have items in my collection plucked from bonfires or demolition sites.

• Like 1

canadian pacific travel promo picture poster and frame with the location in brass label on frame . got it at the local thrift store and con vinced the old lady volunteer that it was 5 bucks verseious 20 $ as i was intrested in it and would go in skip otherwise  if not sold for a long time and takeing space  (sad but true with some thrift shops ).  also a poster from expo 86 railway section .    

I have a few odds and ends, but my favorite is a set of rule book amendments from the 1960s which evidently my grandfather failed to paste into his rule book. They concern pilotman working, largely. The only other piece of memorabilia I inherited from him is a lookout armband of the same period.

In my personal collection are a number of travel posters from the 50s/60s, all penciled FAO Driffield SM on the back as that is where they came from, loads of TRBs from the same station and era and the complete record of all the goods traffic (ledgers and traffic receipts) per year from 1953-1964 although those are on loan to a local railway archive as they take up TONS of space.  There are also two complete LNER uniforms upstairs in the cupboard, one 1935 issue and one 1942 issue, the '42 issue still had the air raid instructions stuffed into the inside pocket.  Couple of cabin diagrams and a back board (before lever badges the lever IDs were painted on a board mounted behind the frame, from a local cabin. Several pairs of brake van side lamps and a couple of tail lamps as well.  My favourite though it the LNER brake van stove shovel we use for getting ash out the front room fire, cast iron and stamped LNER.

Currently residing in the house (waiting for the weather to settle before going off to said archive) as well is a 'bus phone code list from a local box (still in its frame), marked BR, but rare because a good number of the cabins listed were shut by 1953, an LNER trolley refuge diagram for the local line, an original NER signal box finial (now that is a big !), an LNER Gentleman sign, and a booking office stool also from a local station.

I might put some pics up once I find the camera!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Firstly Bubbles thanks for helping to identify the location of the crossing in the link you gave. I am ashamed to say my collecting is primarily original slides and negatives (which are) in the main pre 1968. At least negatives and slides don't take up too much space and the fun of it is trying to identify the countless unidentified ones, and those I can't often end up on my flickr stream.

kind regards

Duncan 

Firstly Bubbles thanks for helping to identify the location of the crossing in the link you gave. I am ashamed to say my collecting is primarily original slides and negatives (which are) in the main pre 1968. At least negatives and slides don't take up too much space and the fun of it is trying to identify the countless unidentified ones, and those I can't often end up on my flickr stream.

kind regards

Duncan 

Hi Duncan (Blandford 1969) I did not realise you are also on the RMWeb. No need to be ashamed, sharing your collection of slides and negatives with others I'm sure brings much joy and opens the door to many memories. It prompted me to start this thread, so thankyou.

Geoff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

These are some of the larger items.

post-6902-0-47931200-1358937877.jpg

The cast iron sign came from Chalford after closure, along with afew other door signs.

The Brockley (my local station) collection are a result of the overground branding a year or so ago. The platform signs are the temporary ones there until the proper roundel ones were installed. They are in fact the Southern signs, with overground vinyls applied. At some point I may strip back one or two to the southern form. One of the underlying signs is a platform end one including the Southern branding, the others are station name only. There was also an overlay screwed to the station sign, with joint overground/double arrow branding, which is hanging indoors.

Thanks

Dave

• Like 2

Also have this, acquired when I was a member of the C37LG...

post-7638-0-27582300-1358939370_thumb.jpg

Going back to Pixie's Reading General running in board - over the last couple of years several WR examples have been put up for auction, looking at the catalogues when they arrive in the post I've often looked at these massive items and thought 'no point in bidding, they're too big and will be too expensive', but this way of thinking has let two good ones slip through my sticky fingers by mistake, namely Bath Spa and Maidenhead, both of which typically went for peanuts in the end! I suspect the sheer size of them has put other people off bidding for them when they come up!

• Like 1