Shunters & shunting layouts

switcher 1

I don't think I'm alone in liking shunting locos & shunting layouts, so I'm offering this thread to try & keep most of it together.

I got into O gauge because of the Ixion Hudswell Clarke model, & am really liking the idea of shunting in O gauge because of using 3-link couplings, somehow it just seems right.

Ixion are to bring out a new loco, a Fowler, & I look forward to adding it to my stock box.

I have a 'proper' layout in the planning/construction stage awaiting the arrival of baseboards, but I also have in mind to create micro shunting layouts.

A variation on the classic Inglenook might be the way forwards.  With the HC and the plain green JF perhaps a small industrial setting such as colliery, brewery, chocolate factory etc.  With the various Private Owner wagons the scene could be up to you.....

I have senn shunting layouts with sidings going into factory units which can be used to make things vanish or appear.

The Small Layout site used to be inspirational for things like this.

I have always liked a layout design from Iain Rice called "Virtue in Industria" that appeared in his book "Design for Urban Layouts".The premise is a three level industrial scene starting with an exchange siding and finishing in an industrial works. It is designed for 4mm scale and each module is  4'6" x 10" with a fiddling casette of about 2'6". A scan of the plans is shown below. In O Gauge, each of these plans would work well in about 8' x 20". I would probably go for the exchange siding version, but reverse the entry cross-over and take it off a three-way on the industrial siding. This would allow the mainline-line train to come-in, an industrial loco to pull the train back. The mainline loco would then set back along the "main-line" to clear the cross-over while the industrial engine shunts the wagons forward before placing the brake van at the end of the exchange siding ready for the out-going train. However, all three scenes have good operating potential.

post-13142-0-39674000-1362343558_thumb.jpg

A question for micro-layout aficionados: How small does a layout have to be before it becomes a 'micro' layout and could a micro-layout alternatively be described as a working diorama?

When I started out in 7-mil I thought 14' (10' scenic plus 4' hidden traverser) was pretty compact – but apparently not :-)

David

The original term of micro was coined for a 4f tx 1ft plank in HO; which equates to 8ft x 2ft in O gauge.

Basically a micro is a small railway system, whilst a diorama is a particular part of a system.

I've worked out that I could get an Inglenook type of layout into 4ft6in x 1ft3in by using a sector plate instead of points, but that is extreme.

Edit: Micro is a model railway, diorama is a scenic display

Guest 40-something

I still havent finished my 4mm layout but Im starting to plan my next which will be my first foray into 7mm scale.  I have a Dapol 08 pre-ordered and I've just bought a Parkside Dundas 24t Mineral wagon kit.  I have a plan in my head for a small shunting layout with a line disappearing off to an angle under a bridge representing an industrial siding.  Overall size wont exceed 12 ft.

The Gauge 0 Guild published two volumes titled Small Layouts. They are full of real layouts rather than untried plans and contain some useful inspiration, though I must admit that in some cases the definition of small has been interpreted liberally. My preference is always to include a fully visible loop if possible as this adds enormously to the fun factor. And model railways are meant to be fun.

I consider my 0 Gauge layout Factory Lane Sidings to be within the "micro" category. It's a shunting type layout 11ft 6ins long and 28ins wide.

More details from the link below.

Alan.

Guest 40-something

Too true, I'm definately not a rivet counter, & R.T.R is good enough these days, I think.

If it looks right, it is right, thats my motto!!!

Guest Jim Read

Hello

This is my 7mm micro a slight inglenook variation with the facility to run round without removing the loco from the track. The baseboard is 55" long and 18" wide and the operational area is about 13" x 32"

2yl7f68.jpg

My interpretation of Carl Arendts challenge was, 'A layout that has a reason to exist, works and is in 4 sq ft or less regardless of scale.'

I'll be starting another board very soon, having drawn the track plan about 40 times I've got a single slip in it now which I hope I can make.

Jim

Guest Isambarduk

"If it looks right, it is right, that's my motto!!!"

Yes, there's a lot to be said for that and I used to adopt it often when I was a lad. 

However, my father, who was a precision engineer in his workshop, used to reprimand me with: No, that is a corruption of 'If it is right, it'll look right!' which used to rather frustrate me but, over time, I took on his point and I do now try and get it right.  But there are limits and, in the end, I've adopted the view of 'If looks right enough, it is right enough!'    Works for me :-)

David

Our layouts are judged using the human eyeball/brain combination, not with a micrometer.  As a result, "If it looks right it is right" is a perfectly acceptable maxim to adopt unless precision measurement is required in order for a model to actually function.  Even then, I've seen enough scratchbuilt locos that looked superb and worked beautifully but which were built with no more precision than that allowed by the use of a steel rule and some ingenuity, to recognize that enough precision is all that is required :D.

Guest Jim Read

Hello Pat and Hello all,

I would like to illustrate my bodgers scratchbuilding technique, hopefully to encourage someone else to have a go, apart from hand tools all I have is a pillar drill stand for my ancient B&D drill.

This is Bristol from the Chronicles of Boultons Siding, the body is made from Plastikard. The wheels are Hornby with every other spoke cut out, they are slightly eccentric and give a very nice authentic 'limp' I was concerned about that to begin with until I met a chap who drove an 0-4-0 at a colliery and who said, "Everything that does mine used to, it's lovely to see something that runs like it".

29xjbk8.jpg

The motor (£2) is one I found in a model shop and is held in with some kitchen silicon stuff, the worm and gear old Hornby.

w8s6lw.jpg

The chassis is two bits of brass, the spacers from 13 amp plugs the reduction gear from a model racing car shop (30p) and the position of them guessed and the 'suspension' a mere bit of tube as an axle pivot.

1zdvrxd.jpg

The loco will run all day without stalling and the control is so fine that I can move the wheels a couple of degrees to slacken couplings.

Cheers - Jim

My layout is a shunting layout but it's not a "shunting puzzle" such as an inglenook. In fact I don't like those as they are too restrictive. Mine is operated with a card system and train lengths of no more than 4 wagons.

It's not a micro layout, well at least I don't think it is, but at 12'x18ins it is still small for O gauge.

There should be a link at the bottom of my post.

Hi Ruston, all types of shunting layouts will be on here (hopefully). Yours is what I would also call a 'small layout' as well.

I'd be interested in how you use your card system in operating your layout, (as may others visiting here).

(I vaguely remember a Waybill System on an American layout some years ago.)

Edit: Found the description here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/15931-bury-thorn-sons/page-7  post #174

Hi Ruston, all types of shunting layouts will be on here (hopefully). Yours is what I would also call a 'small layout' as well.

I'd be interested in how you use your card system in operating your layout, (as may others visiting here).

(I vaguely remember a Waybill System on an American layout some years ago.)

Edit: Found the description here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/15931-bury-thorn-sons/page-7  post #174

This is a good car card system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN_gTiJ8-VA

David

A Brit in the USA

Also have a look at the 'Enigma Engineering' thread I've just revived.  Not sure what size this would work out to in 7mm, possibly 6-7 foot?  The card system is REALLY simple.  It would have to be if I did it!

Archived