Glenfinick, West Highland in N

Andrew P

Glenfinick is inspired by two things, firstly, Portchullen, I have seen this wonderful representation of Scotland on a couple of occasions and I am always enthralled by the peacefulness of the scenic's and it's running.

The second inspiration is the Class 37 Limited Edition released by TMC, this is a beautiful model and the light weathering on the example I ordered is spot on.

Only having a small room and a desire for a continuous run layout I have switched to N Gauge for my latest project, originally it was to be just 5ft long on one board but after hints from Cav that it would be tight, I have now gone for 6ft x 2ft to avoid a baseboard joint, and it will still just go in the back of my car.

Here is my 37 that started it all

post-9335-0-05162700-1363108059_thumb.jpg

Andy :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Well done Andy! The N-project surfaces at last. Expect an inundation of Lunester interest on this one, especially from those who model this gauge.

Even though you've convinced me to try O gauge next, I'll be following this with keen interest.

I expect you'll be finished in 4 weeks at the rate you work!!

Jeff

O.K. I have been working on Glenfinick for the last week so here are a few pics.

I had a couple of boards donated to me, one was 4ft long and the other 2 ft and each is 2 ft wide. As I didn't want a baseboard joint in N Gauge I have joined the boards together so I have a 6 x2 layout.

I covered the boards with two layers of polystyrene held down with PVA and a few light weights, hahaha

post-9335-0-68131800-1363109322_thumb.jpg

Once dry, the weights were removed and it was checked for flatness with a long straight edge

post-9335-0-93089100-1363109476_thumb.jpg

I then added a layer of foam board for a flat surface on which I could fix the track and this was held down in a similar fasion.

post-9335-0-84234000-1363109644_thumb.jpg

Once this was dry I laid the track to get a feel of the amount of board that I will need to cut away to place the track on a higher level than the base frame.

post-9335-0-02342900-1363109800_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-76700300-1363109847_thumb.jpg

Andy

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My goodness, it's like Blue Peter...."here's one I made earlier"...

Now we know that Baron Bodgit has been talking about his "secret project" for weeks. So I reckon he's just about finished it and is going to drip-feed us snippits on a daily basis!

Nice start, btw!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Andy. Nice to just run trains round!

The 37 looks very good - the only thing letting it down at the moment is being sat on the 'raw' track. Will be much better when painted and ballasted of course.

Now we know that Baron Bodgit has been talking about his "secret project" for weeks. So I reckon he's just about finished it and is going to drip-feed us snippits on a daily basis!

Nice start, btw!

Jeff

I have to agree with you Jeff. I want to see what is done with the scenics.

It is interesting that George hasn't posted any N gauge building projects though.

Duncan

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

You do some great layouts but I'm wondering where you get the inspiration from? Is it from visits, holidays, DVD's or books?

I just picked up Ian Futers "Scottish layout projects" and see he has another book "modelling Scottish railways". Have you read the second and do you have any modelling based recommendations?

Looking forward to the development of this project.

Cheers for now,

Mark

• Like 1

Interesting use of foamboard Andy, do you do this with your 00 and 0 gauge layouts too?

I'll try and watch this one from start to finish and pick up some of your trade secrets.

Ray.

Hi Ray this is the first time I have used Foam board so I will see how it last and I will keep you all informed,

Andy

Nice start, btw!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, sorry to disappoint, but NO :no:

Looking good Andy. Nice to just run trains round!

The 37 looks very good - the only thing letting it down at the moment is being sat on the 'raw' track. Will be much better when painted and ballasted of course.

Hi Richard, I have just ballasted four bits of track with four different ballasts and I am talking them to Nottingham on Sunday to get Steve Flints opinion and that of a few others.

Andy :O

I have to agree with you Jeff. I want to see what is done with the scenics.

It is interesting that George hasn't posted any N gauge building projects though.

Duncan

Hi Duncan, there will be hardly any buildings on the layout so I will have to wait and see.

Andy :locomotive:

It's an exodus to N Gauge.... blimey, they're all at it :sarcastic:

Nice to see the TMC tractor going to good use, will you modify it at all?

Wow Andrew, you really model at quite a pace don't you.

Cheers

Lee

Cheers Lee, thanks for your comments.

Hi Richard, I have just ballasted four bits of track with four different ballasts and I am talking them to Nottingham on Sunday to get Steve Flints opinion and that of a few others.

Andy :O

Andy

Which one looks right? In your own words, if it looks right it probably is.

Duncan

Hi Andy,

You do some great layouts but I'm wondering where you get the inspiration from? Is it from visits, holidays, DVD's or books?

I just picked up Ian Futers "Scottish layout projects" and see he has another book "modelling Scottish railways". Have you read the second and do you have any modelling based recommendations?

Looking forward to the development of this project.

Cheers for now,

Mark

Hi Mark, I have both of Ians books and the inspiration for this is from  his Scottish Layout Project, = Glenfinnan.

Andy - has George offered to make you some buildings, are you making your own or have you found some RTP "Lyddle End" type offerings you can modify and use?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I am afraid George is not involved in any buildings as there is only one House plus the Station Building and Signal Cabin.

I like this! I do have a soft spot for Scottish locations even though my current N Gauge layout is set in the East Midlands lol!

Sam

Cheers Sam, I do love the Blue Scottish period, but I have a couple of green Diesels as well.

So 'Glenfinick' finally shows its face,  looking very interesting Baron Bogit, watching your every move..

George..

Hi George, I thought it was too early to include Glenfinick just yet, but there has been some positive comments so far. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Andy :sungum: :sungum: