Glenfinick, West Highland in N

Andrew P

Andy

Personnaly I prefer the reverse curve.

I think it would give a slightly more interesting area for thescenics and also make it not look too 'roundy roundy' (if you understand what I mean.

Duncan

Cheers Duncan, I am glad that you and a few others agree with my original plan, I just wanted to be sure it was right first.

Andy

Plan A gets my vote for the same reasons.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Brings this layout to mind, one of my favourites at Preston recently.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Even has the tunnel, and lots of GRASS.........

Regards from Pollyfilla

Thanks Ray and Polly, I saw this at the Midland Railex at Butterley last year when I had my last outing with Deesdale Road, It was truly stunning and ran as good as it looked.

Thanks both for your inputs

Andy

]

Cheers all this is a shot of Portchullen at the DEMU at Bretby, Burton on Trent in 2010 and shows what I have in mind either side of the platforms and the reverse curve will give me more room to do this sort of scenic's.

post-9335-0-96928700-1363297871_thumb.jpg

And this is a shot I took at Nottingham last year

post-9335-0-77659600-1363298010_thumb.jpg

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Good move with Plan A, Andy. The curve is much more interesting and it gives you a bit more latitude for scenics at the front.

The scenery is the key element on your layout - and you know how much I love that side of modelling. Anything resembling the photos you've shown will be a pleasure to see.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the beach sand ...

Thats what I'd go for personally , I used it for ash ballast in 4mm it looks decent enough once coloured appropriately?

as for your B sample - it does look very odd prior to colouring it though!! 

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Edited by Russ (mines a pint)

Good move with Plan A, Andy. The curve is much more interesting and it gives you a bit more latitude for scenics at the front.

The scenery is the key element on your layout - and you know how much I love that side of modelling. Anything resembling the photos you've shown will be a pleasure to see.

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, Portchullen was the inspiration for the Rocks and scenics on Glen Roy,

Andy

Going back to the beach sand ...

Thats what I'd go for personally , I used it for ash ballast in 4mm it looks decent enough once coloured appropriately?

as for your B sample - it does look very odd prior to colouring it though!! 

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Thanks Russ, The sand of course is yellow and will need a Brown / Red tint to be Far North or just a normal Grey for the West Highland around Fort William I think.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Russ, The sand of course is yellow and will need a Brown / Red tint to be Far North or just a normal Grey for the West Highland around Fort William I think.

Andy

- yeah I'd try the sample B coloured appropriately before deciding outright against the sand- it must be the right texture ish for old ballast anyways, maybe not fresh modern 'deep-ballasting' perhaps.

- the west highland ballast looks redder in the dry weather and browner in the wet.  I was reading recent Invermoriston? layout  (in the railway modeller) the author had discounted the 'proper' red on the grounds that it was too much for the small scale, this maybe worth taking into account?

- yeah I'd try the sample B coloured appropriately before deciding outright against the sand- it must be the right texture ish for old ballast anyways, maybe not fresh modern 'deep-ballasting' perhaps.

- the west highland ballast looks redder in the dry weather and browner in the wet.  I was reading recent Invermoriston? layout  (in the railway modeller) the author had discounted the 'proper' red on the grounds that it was too much for the small scale, this maybe worth taking into account?

Yes Russ, I read that as well, It is always interesting how colours can have a different perspective in different sizes.

I remember a mate telling me that he was asked to spray a loco and the chap had got him some of the actual paint used on the real thing, and when finished it looked awful.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ray and Polly, I saw this at the Midland Railex at Butterley last year when I had my last outing with Deesdale Road, It was truly stunning and ran as good as it looked.

Thanks both for your inputs

Andy

]

Hi Andy,

Yes, remember them both.  Superb layouts. Glenfinick will be too.

Tomorrow, I'll be putting my (Glen Roy inspired) blue bits on Avago to see how they look.  If they're OK I'll paint the platform railings as well.  Then there are some ridge tiles and steps up to the platform to fit.  Not a lot to do, really, but at the rate I get things done it'll probably take me all day... :jester:

Polly

• RMweb Gold

It is always interesting how colours can have a different perspective in different sizes.

Well they always say scale colour down from the real thing when modelling the realt thing... so I suppose it stands to reason colours in 2mm should be half the density of the ones in 4mm?

• RMweb Premium

I know everyone said to go for plan A and I agree that the reverse curve does look nice but.....

why would the railway company build the railway to that alignment if they didn't need to? I say go for it, but put in some geographical reason for it like a bay on the edge of the loch that couldn't be avoided, a rocky outcrop, etc.

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 1

Morning Andy (Bodgit) You have opened a can of worm's here, but that's the thing l love about the RMWeb' you will always get a debate and help, l remember painting a '00' bus many years ago for a guy who wanted it painted into Portsmouth colours, (as they were restoring an old bus from the 50's), he said don't worry about the paint as l have some of the paint from the bus restoration, l said it would be too dark, but he wanted it done anyway, so l completed the model, and yes it was far to dark, but he loved it..

George (Cap't Knowall)

Edited by georgeT

I know everyone said to go for plan A and I agree that the reverse curve does look nice but.....

why would the railway company build the railway to that alignment if they didn't need to? I say go for it, but put in some geographical reason for it like a bay on the edge of the loch that couldn't be avoided, a rocky outcrop, etc.

Hi Jason, yes the front will drop down like Portchullen,

Cheers Mate

Andy the king of Bodgit :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Morning Andy (Bodgit) You have opened a can of worm's here, but that's the thing l love about the RMWeb' you will always get a debate and help, l remember painting a '00' bus many years ago for a guy who wanted it painted into Portsmouth colours, (as they were restoring an old bus from the 50's), he said don't worry about the paint as l have some of the paint from the bus restoration, l said it would be too dark, but he wanted it done anyway, so l completed the model, and yes it was far to dark, but he loved it..

George (Cap't Knowall)

Morning Cap't ********, How are you bub, I think that the debate about the ballast and the track plan have been good and encouraged me to make the next move today. hopefully more pics later the charge my Batteries ready for Sunday, another 200 plus pics all being well.

Bodgit of the Glen :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

EDIT, I knew it was someone who told me the tale of the paint, but I had forgotten it was you mate,      dooooooohghed :no: .

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Andy, going back to the ballast, have you come across the Geosenics (of Warrington) range? It's made from natural rock so shouldn't need any painting/colouring (apart from a bit of weathering). They do a good range and there's a nice reddy/ brown that might just suit.

post-11105-0-39433900-1363337282_thumb.jpg

Mix and match is also an option.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jason - your thinking is far too logical at times! Very good point, though.

Have you enough space for a loch-side frontage, Andy?

Jeff

Hi Andy, going back to the ballast, have you come across the Geosenics (of Warrington) range? It's made from natural rock so shouldn't need any painting/colouring (apart from a bit of weathering). They do a good range and there's a nice reddy/ brown that might just suit.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Mix and match is also an option.

Hi Ray, thanks for reminding me of Geoscenics, I have used them a couple of years ago and they were dust free as well, really good stuff, I will look out for some on Sunday,

Bodgit

Jason - your thinking is far too logical at times! Very good point, though.

Have you enough space for a loch-side frontage, Andy?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I was going to do ROCKS, (being an OLD rocker you know) but a quayside is something that I hadn't given any thought to, AND it would be outside my comfort zone, so therefore a challeng

Bodgit, :sungum:

SORRY but George, (Knowall) says I should use Bodgit on here :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: he says it suits me, I can't think why :nono:

Hi Andy

Looks to be another great project from you, and I'm very glad to see it in N gauge! Will be following with interest :)

Regards

Lee

Cheers Lee, thanks for your support,

Bodgit :sungum: