Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I can identify with this! I bought a few Mallards (thinking I will eventually get around to hacking them into representations of the Great Gathering locos with odds and ends) and several of them I can't get the tenders off the display bases. I've chewed up the screws and am not looking forward to Dremelling through the base to release the screws. It seems like the screws are applied with a power tool, or by a bodybuilder...[/quot

I certainly had this problem earlier on with Mallard and some other models. I managed to find a Phillips screwdriver which fitted exactly and I have not had any problems since. The screws are often very tightly fitted presumably by machine. I think the answer is to get a good solid screwdriver which fits exactly with a good grip.

I've found some of the screws to be a bit tight, but they've all given up in the end.

I find the screwdrivers sold in pound shops (with a black knurled handle containing various bits) to fit perfectly.

Cross head screws are very vulnerable to damage, if the wrong bit is used (there are at least three types Posidriv, Phillips and the Japanese version which is similar to, but has a different angle from the Philips).

It is easier to drill out damaged screwheads (take care), rather than cutting through the base.

The next issue is now on the GBL website (Britannia). On first sight it seems to be a Hornby tender drive* or similar.

EDIT

Make that Tri-ang! (Well it is similar)

* Don't judge by first sight.

Edited by Il Grifone

I have not had any problematic screws and I have been using a cheap screwdriver from poundland.

I use an old Stanley, after giving up with assorted jeweller's screwdrivers and such. It's a bit of a lottery. I sometimes wonder if the screws are being driven in so fast that they melt and bond with the hard plastic.

The next issue is now on the GBL website (Britannia). On first sight it seems to be a Hornby tender drive or similar.

It looks like this is going to have similar painting problems to the pannier, namely a lack of black paint on the front end! Except that instead of the smokebox and chimney being green, the footplate on the Britannia at the front is green. The lack of (visible) combination lever on the valve gear makes me suspect that this one is copied from a loco-drive Britannia, but one of the early Tri-ang ones, as does the elongated shape of the cab front spectacles. There's also a glint on the tender axleboxes - the visible ends of the Tri-ang axles, perhaps, meticulously copied? Hard to tell from a picture that size, but I suspect I won't be getting a Britannia.

It looks like this is going to have similar painting problems to the pannier, namely a lack of black paint on the front end! Except that instead of the smokebox and chimney being green, the footplate on the Britannia at the front is green. The lack of (visible) combination lever on the valve gear makes me suspect that this one is copied from a loco-drive Britannia, but one of the early Tri-ang ones, as does the elongated shape of the cab front spectacles. There's also a glint on the tender axleboxes - the visible ends of the Tri-ang axles, perhaps, meticulously copied? Hard to tell from a picture that size, but I suspect I won't be getting a Britannia.

I agree. Unfortunately GBL have chosen to copy the earliest of Triang (Hornby) Britannia models. This was a loco drive model. The model was a poor representation with a wrongly shaped cab and an unconvincing boiler and front. It dates from the 1950s. They seem to have copied the early valve gear which lacked the piston links and the early chassis and tender. The 2nd Hornby model was better and was tender drive and the 3rd (current) version is very good. A pity that GBL have chosen this base model. I don't think there is much that can be done with it. Probably offer for swaps or sale.

Having blown up the small picture, there appears to be evidence of Tri-ang origins in the open tender axleboxes and front steps attached to the bogie. The valve gear is all over the place as well. She does appear to have lost the heaped up plastic coal however. I already have a Tri-ang Britannia, so it is likely that, like the equally disappointing (we were warned!) pannier tank, Asda will still have two a week after release.....

Edited by Il Grifone

I agree. Unfortunately GBL have chosen to copy the earliest of Triang (Hornby) Britannia models. This was a loco drive model. The model was a poor representation with a wrongly shaped cab and an unconvincing boiler and front. It dates from the 1950s. They seem to have copied the early valve gear which lacked the piston links and the early chassis and tender. The 2nd Hornby model was better and was tender drive and the 3rd (current) version is very good. A pity that GBL have chosen this base model. I don't think there is much that can be done with it. Probably offer for swaps or sale.

The very first Trhi-ang railways "Britannia" was introduced in 1960. This had solid driving wheels, the fixing screw down the chimney, and a "plate frame" chassis.

In 1961 the loco was re-tooled for 1961. Cast chassis block with Seuthe Type smoke unit fitting ("S" on the underside), "Magnahesion" traction magnets, and "see through" driving wheels with steel tyres. The body fixing screw was re-located to the front footplating.

On these early models, the lining was two orange/yellow lines (later in 1964 simplified to one line) and the nameplates were separate metal ones "tabbed" onto the smoke deflectors.

All Tri-ang Brits had the later BR Crest.

1964 saw the Seuhe Type smoke unit replaced by the Rovex "Synchrosmoke" units, with a slight re-tooling of the chassis ("SU" on the underside).

From around 1965, the loco and tender were supplied in one box (A Window Box. Yellow Card inlay at first, later moulded Yellow Plastic.

The last real changes to the original model were the replacement of the nameplates by stick on ones, Alternative Names and Numbers in the box, and DC Sound(!) Rovex's Exhaust Steam Sound in the tender. (Which now used the "Evening Star" tender top, with a fixed coal load...)

Then, apart from the "Mail Order" simplified model "Iron Duke" 70047/ 70014 that was it...until the tender drive version!

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Premium

Very reminiscent of the model R259(S) that was the stuff of my dreams for Christmas 1966 when Santa duly obliged and added three short Pullman cars plus an oval of Super Four Track. The absence of motion parts will be most noticable of several discrepancies - apart from the lack of black paint at the front end!

I wonder if the nameplate will be copied from the original tinplate adornment with yellow lettering on a red background or one of the sticky label versions which followed but were somehow less convincing to me in those days (or was it just that they were such a pain to keep in place and decent condition in juvenile hands ?)

Disappointing now though, as it was a fairly crude model - though highly thought of in its time - and we were led to believe that this issue would be copied from the very last tender drive version produced by current day Hornby before they produced the excellent Loco Drive model which is now the standard main range offering.

Oh well, one for nostalgia row.

regards,

John

• Like 1

GBL B12 4-6-0. Taken apart and modified to fit a Tri-ang Hornby Synchrosmoke Chassis. Part 1.

Complete GBL Loco and Tender..

gallery_12119_3189_956.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_99084.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_24380.jpg

Tri-ang Hornby BR B12 Loco and Tender 1964-  The Driver is on the wrong side of the Tri-ang loco...The B12 seems to be Right Hand Drive going by the position of the Brake Pump...

gallery_12119_3189_135304.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_18475.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_248040.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_103260.jpg

TH Chassis with body removed...

gallery_12119_3189_41550.jpg

TH Tender...

gallery_12119_3189_295287.jpg]

GBL Parts 1

gallery_12119_3189_72147.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_99540.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_121219.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_180273.jpg

TH body TOP. GBL under...

gallery_12119_3189_104322.jpg

GBL body TOP. TH Chassis and Body under...

gallery_12119_3189_10258.jpg

GBL Boiler Parts...

gallery_12119_3189_119509.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_98301.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_265722.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_265722.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_155158.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_210994.jpg

TH Tender Body on GBL Chassis LEFT...GBL Body on TH Chassis RIGHT...

gallery_12119_3189_130227.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_230900.jpg

GBL Tender LEFT. TH Tender RIGHT...

gallery_12119_3189_87097.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

GBL B12 4-6-0. Taken apart and modified to fit a Tri-ang Hornby Synchrosmoke Chassis. Part 2.

GBL Parts modified to fit Tri-ang Hornby B12 Chassis...

gallery_12119_3189_296978.jpg

GBL Footplate cut out to clear TH B12 Chassis...

gallery_12119_3189_65890.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_97442.jpg

GBL modified Body on TH Chassis. Not glued together yet...painting to be done. (NE Wartime Black probably! Like a Hornby release of the B12!)

gallery_12119_3189_174090.jpg

The Tender is in work...to follow...

Edited by Sarahagain

GBL GWR Shunter's Truck. Re-wheeled and couplings fitted. Part 1.

The model has had the locating pillars removed, the axle boxes drilled and cut out with a small drill bit in a Pin-Vice, and using Beraing Reamers. (DCC Concepts...othe rmakes are available...)

The NEM Pockets and couplings are from a bag made by Dapol. (No instructions provided...anyone got a set of instructions for using the Dapol Nem Pockets?)

They are mounted on plastic card bases, also using a bit of sprue for a locoating pillar and some plastic strip as locating/ spacer parts.

The Hand Brake handles (Supplied in the ON Position) have been bent up a bit to look a bit more like they are OFF...a fault carried over from the Hornby models...

The Toolbox has stuffed with lead bits for weight...held in by UHU glue. The Hornby model has a cast metal tool box!

Some numbers and other lettering to do...and a new location...possibly Wrexham...

Photos...

gallery_12119_3189_68045.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_143502.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_208184.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_55477.jpg

Toolbox stuffed with lead bits for weight...The Hornby model has a cast metal tool box!

gallery_12119_3189_182790.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

Mine doesn't have 'Syncrosmoke', though she does have a smoke unit (now disconnected, though it did work, when I first brought her home. It may have since lost the smoke pipe). She currently decorates the shelving in the lounge, coupled to a pair of (non Tri-ang) vintage carriages. She has also been converted to 3 rail and the tension lock coupling replaced with a Peco type

A long term project is the replacement of the driving wheels with a set from a Dublo 4MT tank. This should sort out the excessive height.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I use an old Stanley, after giving up with assorted jeweller's screwdrivers and such. It's a bit of a lottery. I sometimes wonder if the screws are being driven in so fast that they melt and bond with the hard plastic.

Thanks to everyone for their support and comments - I do use the "old cheap" screwdrivers sets - served me loyally for many years. The V2 is the first one I've struggled with. Perhaps we should have a separate thread - GBL Common Niggles (!) - deliveries excluded!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A few weeks ago when the 'Rocket' became available I mentioned having a kit of the old Ratio Victorian Spanish coaches but that I could not find them. Well, I have now found them but now where did I put the 'Rocket' and coach? :banghead:

Having blown up the small picture, there appears to be evidence of Tri-ang origins in the open tender axleboxes and front steps attached to the bogie. The valve gear is all over the place as well. She does appear to have lost the heaped up plastic coal however. I already have a Tri-ang Britannia, so it is likely that, like the equally disappointing (we were warned!) pannier tank, Asda will still have two a week after release.....

It's very, very disappointing that GBL have chosen to base a few of their models on such out-of-date versions. I just cannot understand why the GWR Prairie and Pannier were not based on much better and readily available recent offerings instead of crude, innacurate Lima and Triang Hornby. And it looks like the Britannia is going to be even worse - 1950s Triang for goodness sake!!!

When GBL have shown what accurate, attractive and useful models they can achieve in examples like the GCR Director, the LSWR T9 and especially the SECR C class, why aren't they all of a similar standard?

I have just been buying those GBLs which can reasonably stand alongside recent RTR models or modify into something else, but it must be putting quite a lot of subscribers off as they have no idea of the quality of the model they are going to receive.

Surely someone from GBL is interested in customer feedback and reading this thread? If so can they make it known how we might communicate basic things like which RTR models to base future releases on!?

Tri-ang's* Britannia is a better model than their pannier tank IMHO, despite being over 10 years older. At the time they were trying to 'outdo' Hornby Dublo, whereas later on they rested on their laurels somewhat (their 'Hall', and 'King Arthur' come to mind as two other examples!).

Maybe GBL didn't want to annoy Bachmann by copying later models, though the forthcoming 'N' would appear to be an exception.

* I know the pannier is (Tri-ang?) Hornby, but it was still basically the same company.

The original is described as "Rare" here and someone appears to have thought it to be worth £50! (????) (It's news to me that it has connecting rods too.)

http://www.Hornby-railway-trains.co.uk/locomotives/Steam_Locomotives/R041_GWR_Class_57XX_Pannier_Tank_0-6-0_8751/R041_GWR_Class_57XX_Pannier_Tank_0-6-0_8751.htm

• Like 1

Perhaps, and excuse my ignorance of litigation methods linked to copying processes it is cheaper for GBL to use what we consider an obsolete version of a model rather than say, one of the last five years. I too was looking forward to the Britannia as I have a mid '70s version (with working smoke!) but with a rather waxy finish green body and horrendous tender wheels. Fortunately I already have a buyer for mine come release date. On the subject of customer feedback surely the "experts" who write the magazine blurb input some knowledge to Amercom as to which versions of models to use - or is that too much like common sense - which is sadly lacking these days.Whilst on the sbject of Hornby bodies does anyone know of any reputable dealer (pref. not E-Bay!) that still stock Hornby spares - I believe East Kent Models have ceased trading(?) and there was an excellent supplier in Burnley (whose name escapes me) which I believe has gone the same way. Thanks in anticipation fellas!

Edited by emperordalek
  • Like 1