A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

What's interesting is that not that long ago another David [Cary Hill] was moaning about the lack of coaching stock on ANTB..

I don't remember that which type of moaning was it?

"A long, low sound expressing physical or mental suffering or s@xual pleasure....."

• RMweb Gold

I don't remember that which type of moaning was it?

"A long, low sound expressing physical or mental suffering or s@xual pleasure....."

I would have thought you'd used all the latter up back in May when your team won PL.

Hi Rob,

I have just realised I haven't congratulated you on the great article in BRM - richly deserved. Well done! My best wishes for the new year to you and all your Nod to Brent followers!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

What's interesting is that not that long ago another David [Cary Hill] was moaning about the lack of coaching stock on ANTB.Having had a few LMS coaches for Christmas there now seems to be a glut of choice.Colletts,Maunsells and Staniers.Let's see what Hornby release in 2017. ;)

As 1947 rolls on, do you think we might see a very early example of a Hawksworth coach at ANTB?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As 1947 rolls on, do you think we might see a very early example of a Hawksworth coach at ANTB?

No, the only couple I have are in maroon and are used on the 1957 parcels train.

• RMweb Gold

:punish:

• RMweb Gold

:punish:[/quote

I didn't think so either- but Wikipaedia on 'Coaches of the Great Western Railway' says:

"A distinctive new profile appeared in 1944, when new CME Frederick Hawksworth introduced corridor coaches with domed roof-ends, although non-corridor coaches and auto trailers retained a more conventional roof. Fluorescent lights were tried in new coaches built in 1946.[2]"

• RMweb Gold

:punish:[/quote

I didn't think so either- but Wikipaedia on 'Coaches of the Great Western Railway' says:

"A distinctive new profile appeared in 1944, when new CME Frederick Hawksworth introduced corridor coaches with domed roof-ends, although non-corridor coaches and auto trailers retained a more conventional roof. Fluorescent lights were tried in new coaches built in 1946.[2]"

Hawksworth thirds and brake thirds definitely in use pre nationalisation, see discussion on Cornish reveria formation mentioned in a few places on here which was recorded by Harris containing multiples of both the thirds and brake thirds

• RMweb Gold

Talking of Hawksworth Coaches.........could anyone confirm the length of the coach destination boards......on the Hornby models the brackets are 14'6" apart rather than the normal 18' (they are also on the coach side rather the roof)

There is an interesting photo of the boards being painted here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111946-gwr-coach-roof-destination-board-size/

which tends to confirm that Hawksworth boards were shorter and that the lettering used was sans serif (arial should do) and white on a dark background

I am not certain whether this photo was taken in BR days which would account for the dark background

Assuming that the Hawksworth coaches carried  boards in their all too short spell in GWR livery,............what was the colour scheme?   The normal  black on white or something more exotic bearing in mind their new location on the coach side......Cream on Brown perhaps?

Hope everybody had a great Christmas and you are looking forward to the New Year

Regards from Vancouver where non stop rain is finally washing away the snow at our level

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

ame="Limpley Stoker" post="2553714" timestamp="1483031166"]

Hawksworth thirds and brake thirds definitely in use pre nationalisation, see discussion on Cornish reveria formation mentioned in a few places on here which was recorded by Harris containing multiples of both the thirds and brake thirds

It's just that I'm not a fan of Hawksworth Coaches or that tender, I too have all the books Harris, Russell, so and so forth etc etc etc.

• RMweb Gold

It's just that I'm not a fan of Hawksworth Coaches or that tender, I too have all the books Harris, Russell, so and so forth etc etc etc.

I know what you mean, Hawksworth wasn't exactly capible when it came to aesthetics...

I just like to repeat the point about the Hawksworth thirds and break thirds being in regular GWR service given how often the myth that they were only used post nationalisation gets peddled...

• Like 1

I know what you mean, Hawksworth wasn't exactly capible when it came to aesthetics...

I just like to repeat the point about the Hawksworth thirds and break thirds being in regular GWR service given how often the myth that they were only used post nationalisation gets peddled...

Hi All,

Perhaps this is thought because some were built post nationalisation? It doesn't mean that none were built in GWR times. It a bit like the way that some people think that all locomotive's went to the works on the day the new livery was introduced and they all got repainted there and then. It's too easy to look at facts in a book...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

ame="Limpley Stoker" post="2553714" timestamp="1483031166"]

Thank you for pointing me to the 'GWR post 1942 Cornish Riviera formation ' thread - I should have read it earlier, but it didn't come up in my searches! It's well worth reading.

Talking of Hawksworth Coaches.........could anyone confirm the length of the coach destination boards......on the Hornby models the brackets are 14'6" apart rather than the normal 18' (they are also on the coach side rather the roof)

Internal distance between the brackets is given as 15' 0-1/8" in drawing 122446c (D.133, Lot 1707), so a tad less than that (14' 11-1/2" ?).

which tends to confirm that Hawksworth boards were shorter and that the lettering used was sans serif (arial should do) and white on a dark background

I am not certain whether this photo was taken in BR days which would account for the dark background.

Definitely a B.R.-era photo as the lettering is Gill Sans. No idea as to the colours, but surviving short boards (as used on trailers) were red with golden yellow lettering; plenty of GW short boards also survive & they're cream with black lettering – see this thread for some original examples:— http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115844-gwr-b-set-destination-boards/

Assuming that the Hawksworth coaches carried  boards in their all too short spell in GWR livery,............what was the colour scheme?   The normal  black on white or something more exotic bearing in mind their new location on the coach side......Cream on Brown perhaps?

The only photo I've seen of a Hawksworth wearing a board is this one of the CRE c.1948:—

post-26141-0-67220200-1483079657_thumb.jpg

Could be black or brown lettering on a white or cream board, or any combination thereof. Also note that the ends & edges of the board are picked out in a darker colour. As to suitable fonts, I knocked up this sampler with a few suggestions:—

post-26141-0-72990200-1483083792.png

The picture is also interesting in that it shows the twin shields centred directly under the window. That means it's applied over the vertical cover strip which suggests the instruction to 'space transfers to avoid rivets wherever possible' is more of a suggestion than a rule - on the other side it sits on a panel.

The only 'original' board I've seen is held by the GW Trust at Didcot & was retrieved from the roof space at Weymouth. It's a brown board with cream italic lettering & gilt shading. Provenance unknown other than it's **not** a preservation-era concoction:—

post-26141-0-83468200-1483081695_thumb.jpg

Pete S.

C&W Dept.,

GWS Didcot.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well I had planned on shewing you my Parkside PC84 Mink V12 build but I've had problems with my chassis. :O Added whitemetal buffers,vacuum cylinder and pipes are from Dave Franks.

post-126-0-17175400-1483118098_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-71052500-1483118114_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-74286800-1483118136_thumb.jpg

Someone once said these kits literally build themselves.Utter b*****ks.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Someone once said these kits literally build themselves.Utter b*****ks.

I think that was Mr Parkside who made that statement?

I'd have thought your chassis problems will go away though, Robin, once those metal peg like thingeys are removed.  ;)

• Like 2