• RMweb Gold

Big love for that MW!

Great job mark.

Jack

Thanks Jack for that comment about the M-W ;)

Must be the best one I've ever received.  Made me laugh though :D

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jack,

Yes, JH may appear at few expo's in the next few months around Northamptonshire/Leicestershire depending on work commitments.

Here's another picture of the Manning-Wardle and and a tippler wagon.

post-7584-0-69448600-1378195443_thumb.jpg

Since this picture was taken she's had a a couple of coats of Klear and a coat of matt varnish in between.

More photos soon.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

I said I'd leave weathering the Manning-Wardle until I receive the custom name/works plates from Narrow Planet but I've been weathering a couple of engines I'd renumbered for a friend and started on the Manning-Wardle at the same time.

Here's a couple of shots I took earlier:

post-7584-0-67345700-1378319542_thumb.jpg

I've used Klear/Tamiya matt varnish to try and add some lustre to the Halfords satin black I finished the loco with initially.  Then using some Revell/Valejo acrylics I've added some base colours to the chassis and bodywork.

post-7584-0-52706000-1378319555_thumb.jpg

Detail painting was carried out with acrylics too and I've dry brushed gun metal on to the top of the saddle tank/smoke box door to add definition to the detail.

I'm away now for a for days tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 14

Hi Mark

They use to move iron ore from Easton Neston query through Towcester to the steel works in south Wales.

Mike

Hi Mike

Nothing like a "query" quarry at Easton Neston!!!............

Hi Mark

Hope you are well, and still ok for Wrecrail 2014?

Edited by Nobby (John)
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark

They use to move iron ore from Easton Neston quarry through Towcester to the steel works in south Wales.

Mike 

Morning Mike,

Sorry for the delay in replying-I've been away.

I'd forgotten about that source of iron ore-Thanks for reminding me.

I'll have to dig my SMJR book out and have a read.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark

Hope you are well, and still ok for Wrecrail 2014?

Thanks John. All OK this end ;)

Yes, let me know the date for Wrecrail and I'll request the weekend off.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Happy New Year 

And to you Jaz.

Thanks for all the comments over the past year.

Watch this space for news as JH bows out gracefully from the limelight (If it was ever in it?!)

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark

Never did get to say how great the Manning Wardle looked with the ironstone tippler. Could be Irchester!

Watch this space for news as JH bows out gracefully from the limelight (If it was ever in it?!)

Juniper Hill certainly has been in the limelight. A lovely layout which has inspired a lot of us. Bit worried about this news of it bowing out though?

Happy New Year

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

I hope that you are keeping hold of JH - still a great layout and I've enjoyed the updates and photos!

Mark,

What a lovely layout so full of atmosphere. I enjoyed reading the thread and I even joined the RM Web just so I could post this. It is incredible what can be achieved in such a small space and Juniper Hill as well as Snape Maltings are contributing to the micro layout I am planning in my head as my next venture.

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

What a lovely layout so full of atmosphere. I enjoyed reading the thread and I even joined the RM Web just so I could post this. It is incredible what can be achieved in such a small space and Juniper Hill as well as Snape Maltings are contributing to the micro layout I am planning in my head as my next venture.

Hi Nigel,

Thankyou for those kind comments about JH and good to see you've joined RMweb as well.

Hopefully we'll see some progress of your layout on here too?

Sometimes I'm amazed at the response JH has received and I'm really appreciative of all the comments and support.

Hopefully it show's what not only can be can be done in a small space-but how a project like this can be used as a learning tool for perhaps greater things one day.

It will appear at a few expo's this year-one in altered state so watch this space.

Thanks once again Nigel.

Cheers,

Mark

PS:  Are you talking about DT's Snape Maltings?  He'll have a J15 soon to add to the loco roster all being well.

Blimey the sensor doesn't like G00K! :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your replies chaps and sorry for the delay in replying. Belated Happy New Year to you all as well.

Never did get to say how great the Manning Wardle looked with the ironstone tippler. Could be Irchester!

Juniper Hill certainly has been in the limelight. A lovely layout which has inspired a lot of us. Bit worried about this news of it bowing out though?

You sussed me out there with the MW.  Irchester's No:14 certainly influenced the build.  Thanks for the comments as well.

Hi Mark,

I hope that you are keeping hold of JH - still a great layout and I've enjoyed the updates and photos!

Hi Richard. I'm keeping hold of JH for the time being and there's a few possible shows booked. Thanks as well for the comments.

Your Manning Wardle is very nice by the way - as someone else has said, very SDI Irchester...

Thanks Paul.  The Irchester Quarries were a big influence in the build of JH.  I think I posted this link earlier in the thread but here it is again with some lovely shots of No:14 hard at work:

Irchester in Colour 2 - Manning Wardle 1795

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

Just read your article in the new BRM; shows the layout off well.  Great idea and wonderfully executed.  Looking forward to whatever comes next.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

Just read your article in the new BRM; shows the layout off well.  Great idea and wonderfully executed.  Looking forward to whatever comes next.

Regards,

Alex.

Morning Alex,

Thanks for those kind words,  I certainly enjoyed building Juniper Hill and it is a lovely layout to operate.

Andy has worked some magic with his photography too capturing the feel of the layout nicely.

As for the next project-the hint may be in my avatar picture with the two Zillertahlbahn Gmeinder's playing a leading role.  Something completely different.

Cheers,

Mark

It was a pleasure to photograph Mark; there's so much well-observed detail captured in a comparatively mundane location. Anyone getting back into the hobby should have a 'less is more' lesson from you before running round and buying up all manner of shiny things!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For those interested Juniper Hill will be appearing at the RMweb Members Day in Taunton on the 27/04/14.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83750-rmweb-members-day-at-taunton-2014-full-line-up-announced/

It will be attached to Wiggoforgold's (Alex) excellent Fenland layout 'Diddington' which is beautifully executed.

Juniper Hill is currently in Cornwall however suitable rolling stock will be sent from Northamptonshire to ensure the ironstone theme is maintained.

Alex has kindly modified the illumination on Juniper Hill using LED strip lights so it's more in keeping with the appearance of Diddington.

Sadly due to other commitments I won't be able to make it on the day.  Alex and Tim (CK) have press ganged other members to help operate the layout.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It was a pleasure to photograph Mark; there's so much well-observed detail captured in a comparatively mundane location. Anyone getting back into the hobby should have a 'less is more' lesson from you before running round and buying up all manner of shiny things!

Likewise Andy it was a pleasure to watch you working and have a good 'gab'. 

The 'less is more approach' certainly worked well and I'll try and do the same kind of thing on future layouts.

Cheers,

Mark