• RMweb Gold

I've been lurking on RMWeb for a while, but my modelling having been 7mm narrow gauge I've been more active on the narrow gauge NGRM forum. Though purchase of an Ixion Hudswell Clarke has started to broaden my horizons a little!

The original Tonks book has been considerably expanded into a nine part series! See http://booklaw.co.uk/eshop/index.php?cPath=21_286

Finding these at the sale price resulted in me picking up a couple, shortly followed by the rest and I'm now reading them through which is quite a marathon, but giving plenty of inspiration.

Hi Andrew, 7mm narrow gauge sounds good.  I like the way Giles Favell's 'The End of the Line' incorporates both standard and narrow gauge.

The Ixion Hudswell Clarke is a cracking loco. I was looking at them on Sunday at Railex-Very nice too! I think the Nassington system had one or more of these locos- ideal for an ironstone quarry layout.  Hopefully, the Tonks books have inspired you into doing something ironstone based? 

Not sure if you've seen it but Ruston's layout 'Bury,Thorn and Sons' shows industrial 7mm steam off nicely.  A great layout full of inspiration. Here's the link:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/15931-bury-thorn-sons/page-10&do=findComment&comment=1053573

Hope to see some of your modelling in the future.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

Mark,

We are in agreement about 'The End of the Line', not seen it in the flesh yet, but will do when it comes to Burton in June for the 7mmNGA Convention. Well I do book the layouts so get to have some perks.... :-) That and Bury, Thorne & Sons which I was put on to a couple of months back, show what can be done in 7mm scale.

I suspect that the great amount of information in the Tonks' books could well provide some suitable inspiration :-)

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

How have I missed this gem!

Just my type of layout (I'm also a big fan of Marc Smith's work!) and I've been contemplating plans for my next layout, which will be a 'simple' shunting layout. JH has given me a gentle push to stop pontificating and actually getting something started!

Thanks for the mention of the 2mm MDF - seems like the best idea and something that I will have a look at myself.

The scenic and weathering work is superb!

Will continue to follow with interest!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We are in agreement about 'The End of the Line', not seen it in the flesh yet, but will do when it comes to Burton in June for the 7mmNGA Convention. Well I do book the layouts so get to have some perks.... :-) That and Bury, Thorne & Sons which I was put on to a couple of months back, show what can be done in 7mm scale.

I suspect that the great amount of information in the Tonks' books could well provide some suitable inspiration :-)

'The End of the Line' is one layout I'd really love to see too.  When it was in a recent Model Rail it kind of stood out.  I kept going back to it.  The attention to detail is superb, but once more there's space and openness which really adds to the effect. 

Dave's videos for BTS are brilliant.

I'm glad the Tonks' books have been a source of inspiration.  Did you look at the link above re: the Manning Wardle No:14 at Irchester?

Here's the link once more.

http://www.manning-w...-bw/4548355436?

I'm tempted to ave a go scratch building one of these on a Hornby Pug chassis.  I think a similiar conversion article appeared in Hornby Magazine. Chris Nevard had the loco on Polbrook Gurney at Railex over the weekend I believe.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

How have I missed this gem!

Just my type of layout (I'm also a big fan of Marc Smith's work!) and I've been contemplating plans for my next layout, which will be a 'simple' shunting layout. JH has given me a gentle push to stop pontificating and actually getting something started!

Thanks for the mention of the 2mm MDF - seems like the best idea and something that I will have a look at myself.

The scenic and weathering work is superb!

Will continue to follow with interest!

Hi Mudmagnet,

Thanks for those kind words re: JH.

I'm pleased it has got you thinking about a small shunting layout as well.  Hopefully with a North Devon theme? ;)

I really like East Yarde though.  There's some beautiful detail on the layout and once again there's some nice weathering-everything gels nicely.

Think with a lot of things there's influences from a few people in JH.  Some who are members on here.  Weathering was picked up when I modelled aircraft and honed through people like George Dent etc, 

Like I've said before JH was built as a project to use what I had available.  It kind of progressed from there really.  Once I sort out the backscene I will start to seriously look at my next project.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

Agreed, I've been captivated by the BT&S videos!

I did follow the link to No 14 at Irchester, lovely photos, which subsequently led to me spending a happy hour or so looking at many other photos of the old Ironstone Quarry railways on flickr....

Cheers,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

Mark, hi

Sorry to hear about the Dalerboard - mind you, I often use thinner card as in postcard thickness - Art shops should sell it.

That said, sounds like your lining paper will be a good option too.

I retrofixed both my curved backscences to CJM and Kyle so know what you are going through - now I can see why some people tackle them earlier before getting carried away with the layout :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening Pete,

Sorry to hear about the Dalerboard - mind you, I often use thinner card as in postcard thickness - Art shops should sell it.

That said, sounds like your lining paper will be a good option too.

I retrofixed both my curved backscences to CJM and Kyle so know what you are going through - now I can see why some people tackle them earlier before getting carried away with the layout :)

Thanks once again. Like I said previously the Dalerboard does work but not with the severity of curve I need. I will certainly be using it on the Teign Valley project (TVP)  however.  ;)

The lining paper should work just fine fixed with Velcro fixers at the top of the existing backscene.  Like you say on the TVP (Not 'textured vegetable protein' :D ) I'll incorporate the backscene before the scenics go in.  Really this goes to show the origins of JH and will be a lesson learned.

Thanks though Pete for your input. I really appreciate it. :)

Cheers,

Mark

I'll take a few photos tomorrow as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I did follow the link to No 14 at Irchester, lovely photos, which subsequently led to me spending a happy hour or so looking at many other photos of the old Ironstone Quarry railways on flickr....

I'm glad you did. Though thats the trouble. You end up looking at other photos too when you should be modelling. In my case anyway! ;)

Pleased to see her being preserved though. An engine with quite a character really. :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

the Dalerboard does work but not with the severity of curve I need.

At least it didn't break the bank trying it...just think of all those coppers diverted from the Lionheart Pannier :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At least it didn't break the bank trying it...just think of all those coppers diverted from the Lionheart Pannier :D

:laugh: Only another £657.89 to go!

I'm sure Mr Webster is waiting for my order! ;)

• Like 1

Ah, but just think how lovely it would be, to own a Lionheart pannier

I have to say, it's the best sound I've heard in a steam loco.....

Really like the last shots Mark

Can't wait to see JH in the flesh....

Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Marc.

Thanks for those kind words.  JH might go in the boot of my car for Wrecrail at Market Harborough so you can have a sneaky look ;)

Ah, but just think how lovely it would be, to own a Lionheart pannier
I have to say, it's the best sound I've heard in a steam loco.....

Totally agree with you Marc.  After speaking to Mr Webster on Sunday at Railex and seeing and hearing one in the flesh leaves you in doubt you have a quality product.  The sound is impressive as is the fine control of the loco.  Would be nice if he does a 57xx in the future or perhaps a 14xx.

One will be coming this way but not for a while! ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

Hi Mark,

Still enjoying following your progress on JH... I'm sure you'll find a solution to the backscene issue.

I'm looking forward to hearing more of the next project too...... Don't keep us in suspense for too long....

David

• Like 1

Hi Mark, only found your layout today. I am old enough to have seen the Oxfordshire & Northants quarries at work, came close to working for the O.I.C at Banbury. And you have the atmosphere bang on. Keep on posting; there are relics of the Vale of Belvoir lines still to be seen.

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments re East Yarde!

I have been asked a couple of times about exhibiting at some point - still not sure yet ....

I've made a little progress with the new layout - at least I've now made a couple of sketches and more or less decided what I'm going to do. It will be Devon based!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening David,

Still enjoying following your progress on JH... I'm sure you'll find a solution to the backscene issue.
I'm looking forward to hearing more of the next project too...... Don't keep us in suspense for too long....

Good to hear from you again.  Think it's lack of progress at the moment! :D

Yes the backscene is one of those jobs I'm building up to.  I didn't feel like attacking it today so maybe in the next few days.  Watch this space ;)  Saying that I think the lining paper should work nicely.  Famous last words! Other jobs that need doing are making a few trees around the entry/exit point in backscene and connect the telephone wire up to another post.

The next project I'm planning is based around Trusham Quarry on the Teign Valley Line in Devon during the last days of the GWR.  Once again it will be a micro layout.  My mind is trying to work out a plan to fit the crushing plant/loading point onto a minimum space layout but I've an idea.  I may even go down the foam insulation board route for the baseboard but will need a fiddle yard this time.

You'll start to see bits of GWR related stuff appearing on my Teign Valley blog as well.

Hope your project is coming together nicely?

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Evening Mike,

Welcome to RMweb :)

Hi Mark, only found your layout today. I am old enough to have seen the Oxfordshire & Northants quarries at work, came close to working for the O.I.C at Banbury. And you have the atmosphere bang on. Keep on posting; there are relics of the Vale of Belvoir lines still to be seen.
Mike

Thanks for those kind words re:JH. There were some interesting ironstone quarries around North Oxfordshire. The ones around Hook Norton spring to mind-or is that the beer? :D

If you've any pictures, models or stories feel free to add them.  It helps kind of set the scene. 

Thanks once again.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Evening Mudmagnet,

I have been asked a couple of times about exhibiting at some point - still not sure yet ....

I've made a little progress with the new layout - at least I've now made a couple of sketches and more or less decided what I'm going to do. It will be Devon based!

I honestly thought East Yarde had been exhibited.  It should be by all accounts. ;)

Like the sound of the new layout and will be good to see some progress on it.

Cheers,

Mark

Mudmagnet, you simply must exhibit East Yarde!

I insist ;)

Appologies Mark - I've hijacked your thread again :)

• RMweb Gold

Morning Marc,

Appologies Mark - I've hijacked your thread again :)

Becoming a regular occurance I do believe? :D

That's ok though totally agree with you about East Yarde-I can't believe its not been exhibited.

Best try to get a backscene sorted today and take a few photos if the light is better than yesterday.  ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

Indeed, we must gang up on mudmagnet, to get EY out & about ;)

I too like photographing my models outdoors
There's nothing like it, for nice, natural looking lighting....
Good luck with the weather - it's not too clever here in Cardiff

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

Indeed, we must gang up on mudmagnet, to get EY out & about ;)

I too like photographing my models outdoors
There's nothing like it, for nice, natural looking lighting....
Good luck with the weather - it's not too clever here in Cardiff

I think a press gang to North Devon could be arranged! :D

I'm enjoying photographing my models on JH but I think we've the same weather as you have in Cardiff today.  I've taken a series of shots and messed about with them on the imag editor.

Saying that-it's not getting the backscene done ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Here's one of the shots I took earlier. 

In the late afternoon sun on loan Pug 51218 is being attended to by her crew. Meanwhile in the siding the empty gunpowder van needs taking back down to the exchange sidings.

post-7584-0-34989500-1369913170_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 6

Evening David,

Good to hear from you again. Think it's lack of progress at the moment! :D

Yes the backscene is one of those jobs I'm building up to. I didn't feel like attacking it today so maybe in the next few days. Watch this space ;) Saying that I think the lining paper should work nicely. Famous last words! Other jobs that need doing are making a few trees around the entry/exit point in backscene and connect the telephone wire up to another post.

The next project I'm planning is based around Trusham Quarry on the Teign Valley Line in Devon during the last days of the GWR. Once again it will be a micro layout. My mind is trying to work out a plan to fit the crushing plant/loading point onto a minimum space layout but I've an idea. I may even go down the foam insulation board route for the baseboard but will need a fiddle yard this time.

You'll start to see bits of GWR related stuff appearing on my Teign Valley blog as well.

Hope your project is coming together nicely?

Cheers,

Mark

Your progress is rapid compared to most of us ;-)

Yes the lining solution should work well... I'll keep an eye out! As I will for the GW project, I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I presume it will be a similar kind of size?

Yes my project is slowly progressing thanks. I'm currently grappling with ideas for the sector plate/traverser as I want to get this sorted before I crack on with anything else. I have a few ideas but it will have to be a littlw different from the norm as, whatever it ends up being, will have to sit on the flat pine shelf.

Thanks as ever,

David

• Like 1