• RMweb Gold

This morning has seen rolling stock for Juniper Hill dispatched to Wiggoforgold (Alex) in Cornwall.

JC-JH's resident tame photographer has been seen driving a borrowed blue Bentley and is in charge of logistics.

All being well they'll be at the Taunton show on the 27/4/14 when JH is joined with Alex's Diddington layout. 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

Great to see Juniper Hill "in the flesh" today, I was very impressed.  So much atmosphere in such a small area.

I particularly liked the colour and finish on the Sentinel and Austerity, please can I ask what paint you used for them?

Many thanks,

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

just been catching up with this thread following the great article in BRM. As I have said on numerous occasions it is just a fantastic little layout with so much atmosphere. I have been re-reading the topic for inspiration! Look forward to seeing JH in the flesh if you make a trip to more northerly climes!!

Look forward to seeing further developments.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

Great to see Juniper Hill "in the flesh" today, I was very impressed.  So much atmosphere in such a small area.

I particularly liked the colour and finish on the Sentinel and Austerity, please can I ask what paint you used for them?

Many thanks,

Dave.

Evening David,

Thanks for those kind words and glad you liked JH.  Alex and Neil were very kind to exhibit it in my absence.  

As for the finish on the Sentinel and the Austerity they are finished with Tamiya acrylics.  Having been sprayed with Halfords grey primer they were pre-shaded with Tamiya NATO black.  Then a Tamiya green was sprayed over giving a lighter effect in the centre of panels etc.

The finish is rather flat at this point so I sprayed a light coat of Johnson's Klear/Humbrol Clear over the paintwork.  In doing do this induces a bit of lustre to the finish. Further detail painting followed used a mixture of Games Workshop Gun Metal/Valejo German Grey.  I then sprayed a light coat of Tamiya matt over the models-followed by a further coat of Klear to seal things in,

The finish was a bit of an experiment to try achieve that oily finish seen on a working loco that has been cleaned.

Hope that's of some help?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening David,

Thanks for those kind words and glad you liked JH.  Alex and Neil were very kind to exhibit it in my absence.  

As for the finish on the Sentinel and the Austerity they are finished with Tamiya acrylics.  Having been sprayed with Halfords grey primer they were pre-shaded with Tamiya NATO black.  Then a Tamiya green was sprayed over giving a lighter effect in the centre of panels etc.

The finish is rather flat at this point so I sprayed a light coat of Johnson's Klear/Humbrol Clear over the paintwork.  In doing do this induces a bit of lustre to the finish. Further detail painting followed used a mixture of Games Workshop Gun Metal/Valejo German Grey.  I then sprayed a light coat of Tamiya matt over the models-followed by a further coat of Klear to seal things in,

The finish was a bit of an experiment to try achieve that oily finish seen on a working loco that has been cleaned.

Hope that's of some help?

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks very much Mark, you've certainly achieved an amazingly effective mucky/oily finish thats very striking.

There's been a lot of discussion recently about Johnsons Klear, but I can't find it again.  Does it not give a very glossy finish?  

I'm interested in the shade of green as well, its not Sherwood Green is it?

Thanks very much,

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was great to see JH yesterday and agree with DLT comments.

A shame that you weren't able to get there yourself.

Hopefully catch up somewhere  in the future ...

Hi Richard,

Thanks for those kind words re: JH.  Likewise I wish I could have met up with yourself and Arcacia Avenue.

A house move and starting a new job put paid to to a visit down to Somerset.  I was really looking forwards to operating JH/Diddington and meeting up with peeps 'old and new'

JH will be back in Cornwall for the time being under Alex's care before heading north once more.

I'm glad you had a great time at Taunton too.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Mark, you've certainly achieved an amazingly effective mucky/oily finish thats very striking.

There's been a lot of discussion recently about Johnsons Klear, but I can't find it again.  Does it not give a very glossy finish?  

Thanks very much,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Johnson's Klear 'Original Formula' is no longer available-although I do believe it's still available on  a well known auction site.

The current version of Klear is now 'cloudy' and Humbrol have tried to replicate Klear 'Original Formula' with a product called 'Clear' which has similar properties to the Johnson's formula.

As for the shade of 'green' well I'll have to delve through a box or too following the move.  I'll let you know once I've found it.

Cheers,

Mark 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

just been catching up with this thread following the great article in BRM. As I have said on numerous occasions it is just a fantastic little layout with so much atmosphere. I have been re-reading the topic for inspiration! Look forward to seeing JH in the flesh if you make a trip to more northerly climes!!

Look forward to seeing further developments.

David

Hi David, 

Great to hear from you once more and thanks for the kind words.

Never say never about an appearance further North.  ;)

Hopefully your own plans are progressing and it will be great to see an update in the future.  As for developments here the Zillatalbahn/Teign Valley projects are progressing slowly but surely.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark - I'm ashamed to say that I've only just now discovered this superb layout! I'm gutted I didn't spot it a year ago like everyone else....!

Absolutely lovely - beautifully done, oozing character. Right up my street, and I can't wait to see it. I now have to go and buy a magazine......

I take my hat off to you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mark - I'm ashamed to say that I've only just now discovered this superb layout! I'm gutted I didn't spot it a year ago like everyone else....!

Absolutely lovely - beautifully done, oozing character. Right up my street, and I can't wait to see it. I now have to go and buy a magazine......

I take my hat off to you.

Evening Giles,

No worries.  JH must have 'snook' under the radar-hence not spotting it! ;)

Seriously-Thanks for the kind words.  It means a lot coming from someone like yourself-The End of the Line being one of my favourite layouts. :)

JH will appear again somewhere in the future but will reside in Cornwall for a short time. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to meet and I can get to see the 'TeoTL' as well. ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again Mark, for letting Alex have charge of Juniper Hill for the Taunton do, it was a pleasure  - as ever - to see it again and to have it appear at Taunton. Hope to catch up again soon!

Hi CK,

It was a pleasure to let Alex have reign of JH at Taunton.

I'm really sorry I couldn't make the day which looked like a cracking day with some brilliant layouts.

Hopefully we'll be able to catch up again soon-perhaps on either a visit to Brent or at the Ricoh.

Cheers,

Marl

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Eventually found the pot of Tamiya green paint in a box.

The colour is Tamiya XF-5 Flat Green

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Eventually found the pot of Tamiya green paint in a box.

The colour is Tamiya XF-5 Flat Green

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks very much Mark.

Its just what I need, I will seek out a pot.  

Not sure if anyone stocks Tamiya Paints in my area, but I guess if its acrylic there should be any problems with the Post Office!

All the best,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice to see this thread popping up again. Great excuse to read through and get some inspiration.

Rob.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi is this layout still around?

cheers

Blimey! Bit of a resurrection. Thanks for asking D600

JH is alive and well you'll be pleased to hear currently residing in Cornwall with Wiggoforgold (Alex) of this parish. It was mated to Alex's brilliant Diddington layout set in the East Anglian Fens. The plan was to show it in full working in this set up at the 2014 Members Meeting at Taunton.

Unfortunately a new job and a move to Yorkshire coincided with that weekend and I was unable to attend. It left Alex with a tall order to set both layouts up sadly and show them working.

I last saw JH in December and it still looks good. Alex has improved the lighting and front presentation. You never know one day JH may reappear in partnership with Diddington and singularly!

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Thanks for those kind words. JH certainly captured part of the Northamptonshire ironstone systems and was built relatively cheaply and quickly I seem to remember. Andy Y captured the layout in all its 3ft x 1ft  entirety nicely for the article in BRM.

Like I mentioned previously JH appeared at the RMweb Members Day in Taunton exhibited as part of Alex (Wiggoforgold's) Diddington layout set in Cambridgeshire.  

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77944-diddington-1960s-fenland/page-9

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the day due to other commitments.  If you look through the above link Alex has kindly taken pictures of JH and its stock. A little part of Northamptonshire life resides in Cornwall.

One day I'd imagine JH will resurface in the public gaze once more.  Watch this space!....

Recently on the Hatton's Andrew Barclay thread I came across this lovely photo of the Blisworth system:

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/BRITISH-INDUSTRIAL-LOCOMOTIVES/INDUSTRIAL-DIESEL-AND-ELECTRIC/i-mZ8sJ9x/A

A great shot and full of lovely industrial railway atmosphere!  Deserves to be modelled....

More inspiration....

Sadly time,life and too many projects have curtailed progress on a successor for JH.....

Plans are a foot to remedy this however!

Thanks once again.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Marc; how did you operate the points?

Being something of a electrical Luddite the 2 points are operated with the good old fashioned 'wire in tube' method....

I'd certainly do the same on a future layout...

The other system I've contemplated using are Caboose Industries switch throws for a prospective 009 layout...

Mark,

THanks for your prompt reply. It's great to hear JH is still going strong. I still enjoy a read through this thread and the BRM article from time to time.

A year ago I moved to Shropshire and would like to recreate something of the Lilleshall system - very much along the lines of JH. The link to the Blisworth photo is very inspirational - I totally agree with you.