• RMweb Gold

Evening.

Another shot taken earlier in the company of the renowned JC and his friend with the Bentley.

Here's JC capturing Sentinel 'Twywell' pottering about in the top yard.  I believe she's to take the empty tippler wagons down to the quarry for loading,

post-7584-0-39416000-1369933311_thumb.jpg

As for the backscene sadly not today! I'm building up to it! ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Evening David,

Yes the lining solution should work well... I'll keep an eye out! As I will for the GW project, I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I presume it will be a similar kind of size?

Yes my project is slowly progressing thanks. I'm currently grappling with ideas for the sector plate/traverser as I want to get this sorted before I crack on with anything else. I have a few ideas but it will have to be a littlw different from the norm as, whatever it ends up being, will have to sit on the flat pine shelf.

I'm glad you have faith in the lining paper David-though I think you're right. ;)  I've a feeling I can take it over the top of the existing backscene then fold and glue it from behind.  We'll see!

Yes. The TVP will be a similiar size as JH only wider. It may involve two fiddle yards as well!

I think it's best sometimes to take your time planning  especially as you say 'it's a bit different to the norm' Go with it though get some track down and that will be a start. :D

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Mark,

Great photos, again!

Do I sense you and Marc putting pressure to exhibit East Yarde??

Thank you for your kind comments!

Perhaps I can find the time to finish off a few details and then I'll post some more photos!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks once again Mudmagnet,

Do I sense you and Marc putting pressure to exhibit East Yarde??

Thank you for your kind comments!

Perhaps I can find the time to finish off a few details and then I'll post some more photos!

No pressure what so ever! ;)

Well just a bit! :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Evening David,

I'm glad you have faith in the lining paper David-though I think you're right. ;) I've a feeling I can take it over the top of the existing backscene then fold and glue it from behind. We'll see!

Yes. The TVP will be a similiar size as JH only wider. It may involve two fiddle yards as well!

I think it's best sometimes to take your time planning especially as you say 'it's a bit different to the norm' Go with it though get some track down and that will be a start. :D

Cheers,

Mark

It sounds like you have a plan... There's no need to rush but I'm sure it'll work!

I'll be interested to see the new project when it emerges then! I suppose JH will have helped to identify any pitfalls in designing such a micro layout.

Yes I will do, I am going to take a trip the that big orange warehouse again at the weekend and see what I can pick up frpm the offcut bin to help my sector plate conundrum! The idea is formulated though and it wont be too long until it emerges into reality!

David

• Like 1

Thanks once again Mudmagnet,

No pressure what so ever! ;)

Well just a bit! :D

Cheers,

Mark

Not wanting to take this thread any further off topic ..... ;-) ....., can I add my plea for East Yard to go on the exhibition circuit. No pressure, Richard, no pressure.

Stephen

I like the lighting in the last couple of pictures, the weathering is also nicely understated (I tend to be heavy handed on mine, finding pictures which require so much weathering can take me a while to source :O ). What are you planning for the back ground?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not wanting to take this thread any further off topic ..... ;-) ....., can I add my plea for East Yard to go on the exhibition circuit. No pressure, Richard, no pressure.

So you're joining the Anglo-Welsh press gang to North Devon as well then Stephen? :D

• RMweb Gold

Evening Stephen,

Love the latest photos. The one in the afternoon light with the pipe in the foreground is wonderful - very atmospheric. 

Thankyou for those comments.

The photo you mention was more by luck I think?  A bit of tittervation in the image editor kind of brought things together.

Cheers,

Mark

So you're joining the Anglo-Welsh press gang to North Devon as well then Stephen? :D

Absolutely! ;)

I saw Richard's Orchard Road layout last year and it was superb.

By the way, I also saw 'The End of the Line' (which you mentioned further up this thread) at the Shepton Mallet NG show this year. Quite exquisite in every sense and very inspirational.

Stephen

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Jaz

I like the lighting in the last couple of pictures, the weathering is also nicely understated (I tend to be heavy handed on mine, finding pictures which require so much weathering can take me a while to source :O ). What are you planning for the back ground?

Thanks for those kind words re: the photos and weathering. 

Most of the weathering is done with acrylic paints (Tamiya/Valejo) and applied with either an airbrush, washes and dry brushing.

If you don't possess an airbrush mine is one of those £100 Expo jobs which has been a wise investment. Well worth looking into.  Another technique using an airbrush allows is that of preshading.  I believe this originates in military modelling circles but people like George Dent are advocating it's use now.  It kind of gives a softened approach to faded worn paint as demonstrated on the Sentinel and wagons above.  Another product worth looking out for is the original formula Johnsons Klear floor polish which has a multitude of uses though is hard to come by now.  I believe Humbrol have brought a similiar product out the same properties too.

As for the backscene if you read through the thread JH has very humble origins.  I hadn't really thought about the backscene as such and in the rush to get the layout ready for it's first exbo I made a backscene with straight corners.  This leaves a shadow effect as can be seen in the photos.

The plan is to use some good quality lining paper to make a new backscene which will add curves to the corners thus loosing the straight lines. Well that's the plan anyway! ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely! ;)

I saw Richard's Orchard Road layout last year and it was superb.

Good man.  :D Next time he looks in he's in for a shock!

Totally agree with you on the 'End of the Line' a truely brilliant piece of modelling.  The Model Rail article was superb.  I think it's appearing at Model Rail Live at Newark so may be worth popping up for a look. 

Cheers.

Mark

........Most of the weathering is done with acrylic paints (Tamiya/Valejo) and applied with either an airbrush, washes and dry brushing.

Another technique using an airbrush allows is that of preshading.  I believe this originates in military modelling circles but people like George Dent are advocating it's use now.  It kind of gives a softened approach to faded worn paint as demonstrated on the Sentinel and wagons above.  Another product worth looking out for is the original formula Johnsons Klear floor polish which has a multitude of uses though is hard to come by now.  I believe Humbrol have brought a similiar product out the same properties too......

The plan is to use some good quality lining paper to make a new backscene which will add curves to the corners thus loosing the straight lines. Well that's the plan anyway! ;)

Cheers,

Mark

I have a nice airbrush, I have just started using it since last Xmas. I have citadel, tamiya especially the nato ones, humbrol, rail match. I want to look at the Valejo before I buy so far I have not tracked them down locally. I understand their thinner air ones are ideal for an airbrush although I am happy to thin acrylics or enamels to make washes I use a syringe so I can reasonably match colour. I particularly like to look at the weathering products. Do you use Humbrol weathering powders? There does not seem to be much on their use on the model rail forums. I tried a cheap wagon and trees first. We have one George Dent book. My husband did notice that the military sites are considered the elite in some aspects of colouring. At the moment there is still so much to keep my interest here, though I plan to look. I have hand painted all my life in various medias. But each media has it's own tricks and tips. Once I have finished putting up the initial areas on our layout I will put some of my airbrushing up. The same with Klear, I use varnish and water products, have yet to track Klear at a reasonable cost. We only recently decided to put our work up On My Layout. A number of people like yourself have posted or put up likes. As a matter of courtesy I have checked them out. you have been the most expansive with hints, thank you very much for that. It's nice to know we are mostly on the right track. I personally prefer to check out people like yourself in as much as people who have actually got their work on display and then say this is how to do it make it easier to see what is achievable. I will definitely continue to look in on your thread. Thank you for the term 'pre shading' this will make it much easier for me to look it up. We had hopes with Hornby owning Humbrol they would colour match with easier names for the model rail market, this may still happen. Thank you again.

• Like 1

Lol I was on yours praising you, and you were on ours praising us.  :mosking:

Is it great minds think alike? or fools never differ.......? :derisive:

Oh dang could have edited my last post...still getting use to this forum.....love their emotes........

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jaz once again :)

Lol I was on yours praising you, and you were on ours praising us.  :mosking:

Is it great minds think alike? or fools never differ.......? :derisive:

Oh dang could have edited my last post...still getting use to this forum.....love their emotes........

Well I should've looked before replying to your first post. Kind of went in blind :)

You're both very good modellers and we can all learn from each other on a site like this.  I know I have. ;)

Going back to your previous post I haven't used weathering powders a great deal in railway modelling.  I used to when I modelled aircraft years ago.  You can get some really good effects and I have used them on vehicles/buildings but not on rolling stock. Probably the main reason being they tend to wear easily and are affected by handing in my experience. Saying that some modellers on here get fantastic results from them.

Valejo paints are really good for brush painting and airbrushing containing an high pigment content. I belive Ian Allen shops stock them if you're near to one.  One hint I did pick up from a military modeller is that Tamiya acrylics thin nicely with car windscreen washer fluid so you don't have to use the Tamiya thinners,  I use it all the time with no problems.

With regards to preshading here's a few links from my aircraft modelling days. Hyperscale was a site I used a lot. It's a bit like RMweb and run by an Australian modeller called Bret Green.  It may be worth having a look around but this FW190 stood out with a nice example of the preshading technique:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/galleries/fw190a832dg_1.htm

Here's Bret giving a demonstration of preshading on a Me 109.  He make's it look easy! ;)

I shouldn't look at Hyperscale because I get ideas-read distracted.  Saying that I gave up aircraft modelling because after a while you don't know what to do with the completed models.  Too old to hang them on my ceiling! :D

Learnt a lot though.

Likewise I'll look in on your layout too on a regular basis.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

Oh rats, I re looked at your threads from the beginning, still missing the pre shading, when I got to this last page I was gonna ask you kindly to point me in the right direction.....and here you already have. Thanks your an angel. :angel:

Still wasn't all bad I added a few likes etc along the way :onthequiet:

Talking of aircraft when we expand the pictures on RAF Zollywood (they are all done, just I want to get around the loft space once before digressing, I'm  rather good at digressing LMAO), you'll see a nice selection (shop bought Corgis mostly) of helicopters and a little spitfire. So please look out for obvious mistakes and please advise. Constructive criticism can only improve the game. :derisive:

The other half will post soon he's been suffering from Man Flu (very life threatening I'm informed by other wives  :cry: ) And he's got to catch up with real life work first. (with some sneaky forays off to the layout for a touch of modelling  8)

Thanks again. Still not read ALL the thread yet........I'll be back.

Just looked at video I will have to lock husband out of modelling room if I do that to his loco stock......he'll have a seizure. He'll be banned until the weathering hides all the dark shading. Plus I can't do that to his air stock....though the chinook would look great.....I have to go find the follow up videos.......

Keep talking about my weathering...a lone picture to show it's not all gumpf. It is my only loco repaint to date though and I chose a heavy version so I could try several techniques all at once. 

8868853884_03de437082_c.jpg

A number of pictures will go on Arboretum Valley in due course although I may add a workbench, time will tell. I have a picture of a reallife one I copied but I need to re-find it and acknowledge the real owner. I had posted it (on another forum) but not added the content which RM rules ask for.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks once again Jaz,

Oh rats, I re looked at your threads from the beginning, still missing the pre shading, when I got to this last page I was gonna ask you kindly to point me in the right direction.....and here you already have. Thanks your an angel. :angel:

Still wasn't all bad I added a few likes etc along the way :onthequiet:

Talking of aircraft when we expand the pictures on RAF Zollywood (they are all done, just I want to get around the loft space once before digressing, I'm  rather good at digressing LMAO), you'll see a nice selection (shop bought Corgis mostly) of helicopters and a little spitfire. So please look out for obvious mistakes and please advise. Constructive criticism can only improve the game. :derisive:

The other half will post soon he's been suffering from Man Flu (very life threatening I'm informed by other wives  :cry: ) And he's got to catch up with real life work first. (with some sneaky forays off to the layout for a touch of modelling  8)

Thanks again. Still not read ALL the thread yet........I'll be back.

Just looked at video I will have to lock husband out of modelling room if I do that to his loco stock......he'll have a seizure. He'll be banned until the weathering hides all the dark shading. Plus I can't do that to his air stock....though the chinook would look great.....I have to go find the follow up videos.......

Keep talking about my weathering...a lone picture to show it's not all gumpf. It is my only loco repaint to date though and I chose a heavy version so I could try several techniques all at once. 

8868853884_03de437082_c.jpg

A number of pictures will go on Arboretum Valley in due course although I may add a workbench, time will tell. I have a picture of a reallife one I copied but I need to re-find it and acknowledge the real owner. I had posted it (on another forum) but not added the content which RM rules ask for.

Glad you liked the video.  As you've guessed Bret's main interest was the other side.  Likewise I was more intersted in Luftwaffe aircraft too so you're safe on the  RAF stuff! :)

The Loadhaul livery on the Class 56 looks good still to this day and you've made a nice job of it by the looks of things.  Might be worth a blog entry if you have time because if I remember correctly there's some intricate masking required around the cab fronts. Weathering looks subtle too ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Kal is collecting the helis that he used for his daily commute in earlier life. Still needs  Westland Gazelle and Scout.

If he had the chance he would add the fix wing as well but you don't often see C-130s or VC10s in the appropriate scale. Plus fitting them on the layout would be interesting though I could hang them from the ceiling. :mosking: Though you would have to duck.

I only dabbed Humbrol maskol on the windows. :whistle: (this is whistling innocently not sleeping on the job) I hand painted the bogey section, and hand painted the rails to the appropriate white, yellow or orange, The weathering was a little dark (plus I initial dabbed some on by hand - not my finest hour) and the final soot(?) on the fans and exhausts was barely visible. A darker weathering item was clearly needed. I'll explain later when I post the lot, and any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Never blogged before, though I chat a LOT.

I don't tend to do too much cleaning of my photographs either except where the wallpaper is glaring. People need to see the mistakes to comment and help us improve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good man.  :D Next time he looks in he's in for a shock!

Totally agree with you on the 'End of the Line' a truely brilliant piece of modelling.  The Model Rail article was superb.  I think it's appearing at Model Rail Live at Newark so may be worth popping up for a look. 

Cheers.

Mark

Hi Mark (and everyone else)

Thanks for the comments. Sorry to hijack, but End of the Line will be at Newark.

I also met Giles at Shepton and wow! A very good layout. I'm also partial to a bit of industrial narrow gauge!

Oh, Orchard Road will also be at Newark, so please come along and say hello!

Back to the thread - I've used the pre-shade method on a Judith Edge 06 that I built and was very pleased with the result.

There are some photos on my OR thread.

I was after a weather worn effect, so pre-sprayed the corners and crevices with rail blue and then added a little white which was then sprayed over the whole body.

Further weathering was then applied.

A good technique and one I would use again when I wanted the faded paint look.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Morning Richard,

Thanks for the comments. Sorry to hijack, but End of the Line will be at Newark.

I also met Giles at Shepton and wow! A very good layout. I'm also partial to a bit of industrial narrow gauge!

Oh, Orchard Road will also be at Newark, so please come along and say hello!

Back to the thread - I've used the pre-shade method on a Judith Edge 06 that I built and was very pleased with the result.

There are some photos on my OR thread.

I was after a weather worn effect, so pre-sprayed the corners and crevices with rail blue and then added a little white which was then sprayed over the whole body.

Further weathering was then applied.

A good technique and one I would use again when I wanted the faded paint look.

Thanks once again.

Sounds like I need to get up to Newark to have a look at TEotL.  Like you I like a bit of industrial narrow gauge-a few Simplex' at work. Very nice. Didn't North Devon have a number of industrial NG lines in relation to the ball clay industry?

As for Orchard Road I look forwards to seeing it at Newark too! ;)

Yes, the preshading method is a lovely technique to use-I like the sound of your Class 06.  Think they trialled at Fremmington Quay? ;) Sounds like a photo oportunity for Orchard Road if you ask me.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Like a lot of chaps have said before, I came late to this thread and how glad am I that I did.

Really nice layout and some fine modelling to boot.

I have been casting longing glances at an IKEA 3ftx 9inch shelf as a result of this.......

By the way, what are the origins of the Bentley, Mark?

Rob

• Like 1

Like a lot of chaps have said before, I came late to this thread and how glad am I that I did.

I have been casting longing glances at an IKEA 3ftx 9inch shelf as a result of this.......

By the way, what are the origins of the Bentley, Mark?

Rob

Hi Rob,

I know the feeling... after a long time in the modelling doldrums JH, and Mark's superb modelling in general, have given me a kick to get going again. I have acquired a similar shelf now and I am shuffling bits as part of the planning process! My advice is go for it... there is nothing to lose and if it doesn't work out, well you can always use it as a shelf!!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Rob,

By the way, what are the origins of the Bentley?

Thanks for those kind words.  I'm glad you feel inspired! ;)

Honestly, have a go and start a thread on here. Have a look at Marc Smith's micro layouts and see what can be achieved,  You do learn from a project like this as I have done with the backscene.

As for your user name I've just sussed it! :D

Well JC's friend's Bentley comes from the Oxford Diecast range.  I picked mine up locally but this Liverpool Bentley dealer has some in stock. Here's the link:

http://www.ehattons.com/52007/Oxford_Diecast_76BN6001_Bentley_MkVI_Ivo_Peters/StockDetail.aspx

All the best Rob with your project and post on here as well.  Always plenty of help, encouragement, advice from top modellers. 

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444