Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Hi Both,

Well researched and lovely explanations, with the pictures   .........    I am sure lots of watchers of this thread will be encouraged to go for something themselves  .......     :yes:

I may yet get inspired to go into the Freezer conservatory and put a river puddle on the Sandwich  .........   

I've been wondering what to do with the Penguin, since the Dover Cliff ones have flown hidden away   ............   poor RAF Snowdrop's house does rather pong, since he got given responsibility for it's pool and Bars too ....   

J

• Like 1

While the varnish dries.....

Langley beach kit. At 7.50 for 13 pieces (14 really but you need 2 for a single finished product) 50p a piece....bargain

med_gallery_17883_2806_379136.jpgrmweb64beach1

med_gallery_17883_2806_420640.jpgrmweb65beach2

med_gallery_17883_2806_489435.jpgrmweb66beach3

The only thing with 4mm figures, you are often correcting where the paint was not meant to go 4,5,or even 6 times until it almost looks reasonable.

The kilos have blue bases...as they should.As it's old fashioned some polka dots.

Ok varnished river, painted beach set.....I'm done for now.

Edited by Jaz

As a past teacher, I can't help wondering if the lady on the left  .....   you know, the one in the trendy Mauve swimming thing   ......  

well it rather seems as 'though she should have thought ahead a bit and gone before she got to the Beach   .........     :haha:

J

Varnish Disaster Darling

1. it has not dried overnight

2. the PVA looks to be working ok on the varnish on the ply (Which it always has done before)

3. the PVA however did NOT work on the PIR it just sunk into the product and is now lost from sight.

med_gallery_17883_2878_295780.jpgrmweb67varnish1

4. Worse than that (Jim...does anyone remember the StarTrek song? Star Treking across the universe....only going forward because we canna find reverse), I cannot consider varnishing the stones first then trying the PVA,

5. Why you ask? Because the varnish has also sunk on the PIR. Oh some areas are still above the PIR surface but in general those are tacky and cannot be investigated. yet.

6. And worse than that (Jim), the area I sanded down to get rid of the grooves on the PIR has reappeared, either I didn't do a good enough job, or the varnish has effected a miraculous return from the dead.

7. IF the varnish dries ok, IF another coats stays above the PIR surface....perhaps the grooves will disappear....with the help of some fluff. When I say fluff that's the modelling stuff and some nifty photographing. 

med_gallery_17883_2878_80391.jpgrmweb68varnish2

Firstly I have to await the whole area drying out.

Depressed, can't put the bits on the layout to check the new wall in the hillside. Can't progress the waterfall (ah well I need something on the stones, no need to await progress of the varnish, can't take any nice photos. Still need to progress the missing bit of low wall and hillside, but as yet don't know exactly what length I need.

going off in a huff to eat something fattening, then investigate more trees, may consider painting another kit. More likely will disappear into the garden for suitable wood for modelling trees, wheres the secateurs!!!!! 

• RMweb Gold

I think you're missing some "A"s and "H"s from your headline...

Vaaahhhrnish Disaaahhhstaahhr Daahhhrling...

:)

Sorry to hear of your woes, go and cause havoc with your secateurs, (but mind your fingers) you'll feel much better.

Edited by acg_mr

wine is Ok, I prefer a cocktail.

A nice singapore sling. NOT the Raffles recipe

! measure Gin

! measure Cherry Heering (cherry brandy is fine)

1/2 measure Cointreau

1/2 measure Benedictine

dash of orange bitters (accept no substitutes)

Orange slice

Cucumber slice....yes really

A dash of juice(s) if desired, pineapple, lime and lemon are usually acceptable.if juice you need Soda water for foam..........I prefer a real cloudy lemonade (homemade is usually best) 

NO grenadine and no silly cherry!!!!!!

Edit=plus it's a nice colour.

Just realised this was my 1000 post.....an a drink to celebrate.......Purrfect.

2nd Edit= this way I keep 1000 posts and so far have not found a perfect tree for the trunks, but have an armful to try out. 

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Hi Both,

Hopefully the Varnish will set in the warmer day time.  .....   

Congratulations Jaz on  .............

Just realised this was my 1000 post..

I may well raise a Pink Gin or White Lady to your Fence Posts later  ............     :yes:   ...........   perhaps more than one  .........    :swoon:

J

Hi Both,

If you are sober enough   .............................   how is the Varnish progressing   ............................................    :secret:

"Jeeves - the old Tin-Lid if you please   -    and make it quick, if Y' don't mind!"

J

c6560.jpg

the_station_weir.jpg

5962466106_90507ce9bb_z.jpgchocolatelabrodor flickr

Wayne Batty on Flickr has an excellent picture 'Slow water at Goathland" but I can't display it.

1112196.jpgsteve mower pictureofengland.com

2484367262_ed70a21f21_z.jpgJust Fo0cus - one moment in time Flickr

Am just about getting a tree I like, trying a few different styles, then need to model the closer trees.

At the speed of 2 small trees a night I may need to up my game

Supplied by Sasquatch post 756

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

This will do  enmass, the trunks are actually ok, although you can no longer see them which might be because I left them fray and a dark trunk would probably photograph better.

Am resisting the impulse to remove foliage and try again..seeing as I need LOTS of trees....

But I need some more practise putting on foliage.

med_gallery_17883_2878_485215.jpg

The plan is to aim for the second picture in this batch.

• Like 2

it's nice of you to say so, but I am a little disappointed with the finished article at present. And am widening my materials.

I am trying another idea at the moment, it will only work for the bigger trees though.

I went and cut branches off some of our hedges, I needed to cut at least 3 feet  :butcher:  to get a branch that could then be cut to size. The branch was still a little branch like, but further along it I cut a second smaller branch. I got a piece of copper wire (reasonably rigid) and pushed it into the smaller branch for about half a centimetre, then withdrew it and pushed it into the main branch again for a half a centimetre then cut it of a centimetre and pushed the small branch back on the cut off wire. Then filled in around the join. I need to wait for this to dry.

If this works ok. I will repeat this with branches from different trees, so there is different bark. I'm still look for a tree that gives a gnarly appearance. Although all our trees are 10 years old or less, so I may have to travel further a field.

Using real trees seems to be the popular way for the exhibition circuit to do it these days.

Cut a branch to look reasonably treelike.If you need say 150ft trees.Although I could cut the trunk shorter.

Use some copper to bake the end branches and push it into the bark

Add something to represent the smallest branches, different products being favoured here

Add the greenery, If the branches are sparse a large foam can be used then a finer greenery for the finishing touches.

Hopefully once you have sourced the materials you like working with it will be a lot faster than the initial set up time that is so slowwwwww.

I noticed at the Spalding show that different materials  are used including wire wool, I suppose it stands up to being bashed about.

The first 'tree' is drying, then work continues.

Hi Jaz,

And am widening my materials.

I expect that will be a result of yesterday's varnish frustration causing the eating and drinking spree   ................   

Jeeves!  ............   Tin lid again if you please  ....   best make it quick too, dear chap, if Y' don't mind  ...    :O

J