Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Langley are online as well, freebs, and send out a good paper catalogue (with some pictures) too.  I swear by their chimney pots (a lovely selection in the pack) and drain/manhole covers (again a wide variety).  

I also used their ducks/waterfowl in my stream and have the fire buckets/extinguishers and a couple of other bits in the stash.  I'm also tempted by one of their Scout tents and a set of Scouts/Cubs to be on camp in one of the grased areas of my layout.

Link here.  No connection other than being a very satisfied customer!

• Like 1

Excellent find. Kal had been hunting for school children too and your right very hard to find anything special, those look very interesting and will probably photograph nicely. The master looks like he has just confiscated the magic cloak!!!! perhaps sawing a child in half could show them mid concealment....although those who don't know Harry Potter may think its the chainsaw massacre movie........

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Gold

Just to let you know, I found some tissue paper and think that it is too fragile to use for cloaks.  It has to be cut while on the figure to go over the arms, and then sleeves have to be made to go over the top.  Even with a new scalpel blade it tore so I am proceeding with Bacchus paper, which is just about the same as paper bag paper.

I suppose with the modelscene ones as they are plastic you could cut the arms off and glue them back over the top.

I used to use a piece of single, separated bog roll for blankets in 54mm scale, but I  think that would be too coarse, even for a Gown.

Kal mentioned tissue like Christmas paper hats and that would be much better, particularly soaked first. The tissue for packing crockery seems a similar substitute too.

med_gallery_17883_2757_627284.jpgrmweb153hp1

Dart Castings on the outside 00, repainted cheap plastic HO in the middle

3 with ties, one with scarf and cloak, tomorrow I'll photo on the layout, too tired to walk up the stairs

med_gallery_17883_2757_678035.jpgrmweb154ho2

one of the cheap bought ready painted (HAH!) Dart, the cheapies which no look like teenagers, a Dart and a Bachmann 00.

Harmoine, Ron, Harry who is due to carry a cloak over the raised arm, and harry with a non magical cloak.

White school shirts, red and yellow ties or scarfs, and Gryfindor school badges, Rons shirt hanging out.

Size is everything ,,,,,,,, :tease: 

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Clay those dementors are brilliant, I had guessed you used skeletons, but they look fantastic. Ripped toilet paper....clever.

I bought the broughams you used I have two, still to be made and painted.

I have no decorum and will nick any good idea I come across. Which is why I happily peruse yours and Sasquatch's layouts over and over. :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Those figures look really good.  I assume that you are using your little brush thingys to paint things as small as their ties, sorry it's late and I cannot remember what they are called.

Did you use tissue paper for the cloak?  Mine seems to have come out not too badly using basically paper bag paper, although the sleeves could be a bit, well a lot longer but they would look silly.  I have just noticed that the sleeves are wrong but looking at a picture of a gown I think it would be impossible to do with arms at the side.  If you are interested I will post a picture after Christmas.  (You will have to guess why it will take that long.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow Jaz, your figures are amazing!

(Note to Kal, I said figureS, not figure...) :)

I remember reading somewhere about a sculptor who used to carve miniatures in ivory - it was said he used to make each cut between his heart beats so as not to make a mistake - do you have to do the same with your painting? :)

Al.

cgraham

An ebay seller sold  45 unpainted seating standing passengers 1.45£ they are the really cheap ones about, £4.00 for a hundred

On buy now look up SMBC_123 on UK ebay ho has 50 for 3.99£ and 99p postage.

Look carefully at these as they are selling everywhere. I am sure you can find a US supplier and save on stupid postage.

Look carefully at the set you need the set that includes the 3 people (an adult and two children) and the girl in pink hot pants. with her hands on her hips.

$_12.JPG

If you look at the SMBC_123 ebay up for sale at the present (no i don't get commission) I used :

Last row last man with ginger hair for Ron

I don't see my Harry but 3rd row last two would suit him.

I used the girl in pink/purple hot pants f(4th on top line) or Harmoine (2 were used for the twins by Scripps Garage in Heartbeat on our layout)

I have used this pack extensively as they had adults and kids, check out the wedding scene at the church in heartbeat. A couple with a girl holding a cat or a teddy bear (still can't make my mind up)

looks like she is carrying a familiar. Although Harry potter shows owls, rats and toads, surely a cat with a witch is perfectly acceptable.Look at the first few pages on Arboretum Valley, and you will tell the cheaper ones, however repainted they can look ok.

If you have any specific questions, look carefully at our first few pages, and mention the post they are in for clarification.

Edited by Jaz

ChrisN

I did use the micro brush super fine but they still only coped down to the scarf level, to get the thin lines I used a white metal track pin - the same size as a cocktail stick. I usually find I need to paint 2 or 3 times in parts as the paint always spreads where you don't want. i.e. I need to retouch Rons chin when the yellow escaped....

A for the cloak I did it in a hurry with the tissue I cut a narrow rectangle folded in half, cut through the middle for one half and removed  thin sliver to go around the figures neck.

I use copydex glue, because I can pull it off if I don't like it and throw it in the bin, then I use a track pin / cocktail stick to pop some glue and press it against the body.When it dries you can pull it back away as copydox is o forgiving. I fold the bis that are wrong over the body until they layer flatter.

OHHH and to soften the tissue? I dip it in water first. Then paint it whilst wet and drape before fully dry. 

Fiddly, but cheap and easy.No arms no sleeves just push it about, You don't need to use just one piece, just as Cgrhm did you can use a couple to good effect.

Are you implying MY figure is not amazing ;P

Wow Jaz, your figures are amazing!

(Note to Kal, I said figureS, not figure...) :)

I remember reading somewhere about a sculptor who used to carve miniatures in ivory - it was said he used to make each cut between his heart beats so as not to make a mistake - do you have to do the same with your painting? :)

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Are you implying MY figure is not amazing ;P

Al

You cannot give a women a complement and then take it away, tut tut , you should know better  :no:

:D

I would be more than happy to complement Jaz on her figure, however I haven't actually seen it...

(and Kal's avatar looks bigger than me...)

Al.