Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Welcome Martin, pls ignore the last pictures we are having a mad half hour, we are usually a lot more sensible. .....ok that's not very hard  :angel:

Once you have 10 posts you can start a thread, top right of screen is follow thread options if you see something you want to find easily. Kal will I'm sure set you off in the right direction.

N.B. After 10 posts you can pm someone.

Edited by Jaz

Hi Martin

and Welcome.

Yes it is very big you can never cover it all, but once you get used to following the threads your interested in it becomes more handleable. But you always end up finding Gems.

Edited by Kal

Jaz has been painting a dragon all day but she is really struggling to make it look like a real one.

Does anyone know where shecan see the prototype

:mosking:

Edited by Kal

Talking of figures   .............

we're back on Jaz's figure again

Having already declared my cowardice on the specific subject you are revelling in there  .........    :this:

I did once have the acquaintance of a very youthful person, who was vastly over-promoted   ...   and even more self opinionated  ......    :yes:

.....   she was also very, yes, very overweight  ...

who earned the nickname " Inverted 8"    ........   on the grounds that the only thing larger than her backside was her head    .......     :yahoo:

Sorry Both,

Jaz has been painting a dragon all day but she is really struggling to make it look like a real one.

You have rather missed the boat    ...........   my ex- Welsh M-in-Law is no longer available for photographs  .......    :girldevil:

There is a story there, but not for today  ....

Edited by jcredfer

• RMweb Gold

:mosking:

Mirror, mirror, on the wall... who is the fairest of them all?

Oh, sorry, did I type that out loud?

I was just reading Sleeping Beauty to my daughter,,,

Edited by acg_mr

cheers acg_mr

I really have to buy some satin finish urgently though, several of the models I have painted reflect way too much light and are really hard to photograph, and subsequently just do not look very realistic. 

Yah yah I know a dragon is NEVER going to look realistic. But my Langley Model donkeys (enamels) look dreadful too, whilst the Noch (more anatomically correct and painted in acrylics) look much better.

And having got his eyes staring forward, what did I do? I smudged them.....repaint required. Toothpick time.

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Dragons are difficult as everyone has their own idea of what they look like, and geting the right amount of steam and smoke around them is well nigh impossible.

Yours looks fine, except that it does not appear to be frightening enough unless that lady has gone into, "LEAVE MY CHILD ALONE!" mode.

Usually I use wood dye, but Goathland pictures show pale coloured soil so a beige paint wit home brown,

then some wood chip type turf product, probably Hornby (I mixed a big bag ages ago to use up some poor colours and allow the colour to match over a large area)

then some fine turf (the sponge type) woodland scenics, I use some earth colour (a brown orange and red mix) and some burnt grass, and some green, I have dark green which I will be using for weeds (as per the packet).

Then I add the static grass last. This is 4mm and the brighter colours are sprain or summer. 

I try for camouflage style, so not all products in all places, and so layers can change from inch to inch, but at a distance it photographs well and in a few patched no turf or gras for the bare earth effect, where the 'ground' is rough I usually allow that to peak through as though normal disturbances in the ground. And avoid flat earth, so a shallow wave across the land.

And if a bit bright when all dry am not above adding a little darker colour ith a syringe, black in depths for shadows.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Buy a cheap electric applicator they work as well as the expensive ones imo, at least the one i have does, mine is an insect tennis racket cut back with a metal tea strainer

Jaz,

Dragons are difficult as everyone has their own idea of what they look like, and geting the right amount of steam and smoke around them is well nigh impossible.

Yours looks fine, except that it does not appear to be frightening enough unless that lady has gone into, "LEAVE MY CHILD ALONE!" mode.

The child is meant to be scared and running, the chickens confused not knowing what a dragon is (long lost cousin or no) the mother as you say is supposed to be just into "Don't you Mess with MY child "mode, may plan to punch dragon on the nose!

The dragon is a baby even Hary is probably too bevy to ride him just yet., and does not yet eat coal so does not smoke or breathe fire yet, BUT I have a cigarette you use for giving up smoking that had very little use, and may be hidden nearby to allow smoke to waft nearby.And somewhere there is a broken dragon model which would give me a head to poke out from a cave or similar  for a mummy dragon, as in "Don't YOU mess with MY child either!!!!!!!"

Painting them plain acrylic colours 2 or 3 tones would have been much easier

anolis10-300x225.jpgequestris.jpegpanther-chameleon-01-300x225.jpg_51274573_chameleon-adult.jpgfurcifer_labordi_1.jpg

Oh just type Chameleon and press images!!!!!!

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Clay basically I just buy lots of stuff (especially discounted / reduced) and mix and match. First wooden coloured stuff, second foam stuff, third static grass, and finally nice quality trees or bushes near the front of photographs.

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

I should have said it appears that the child is running away, but the chickens confuse the scene by doing nothing.  Mind you chickens are confused most of the time.

Having said that I would not hang around if a dragon appeared unless I had some chain mail handy, and my has has it under his bed on the other side of London so it is not particularly handy.  We through his (latex) long swaord away as it was leaking latex and the elven swords are with his eldest brother so I think I'll take the better part of valour. (Discretion- run for the hiils!)

Kal today has added about 20 foot of track, in addition to same a couple of days ago, expect ballast and some greenery to make an appearance very soon. There are locos / trains etc screaming in their boxes to come out and play    :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Buy a cheap electric applicator they work as well as the expensive ones imo, at least the one i have does, mine is an insect tennis racket cut back with a metal tea strainer

The child is meant to be scared and running, the chickens confused not knowing what a dragon is (long lost cousin or no) the mother as you say is supposed to be just into "Don't you Mess with MY child "mode, may plan to punch dragon on the nose!

The dragon is a baby even Hary is probably too bevy to ride him just yet., and does not yet eat coal so does not smoke or breathe fire yet, BUT I have a cigarette you use for giving up smoking that had very little use, and may be hidden nearby to allow smoke to waft nearby.And somewhere there is a broken dragon model which would give me a head to poke out from a cave or similar  for a mummy dragon, as in "Don't YOU mess with MY child either!!!!!!!"

Painting them plain acrylic colours 2 or 3 tones would have been much easier

anolis10-300x225.jpgequestris.jpegpanther-chameleon-01-300x225.jpg_51274573_chameleon-adult.jpgfurcifer_labordi_1.jpg

Oh just type Chameleon and press images!!!!!!

I can't see a yellow one..... :jester:

So I tried this

Cheers,

Mick