Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

I got the other half painted

once I took the picture a couple of colours were too strong

med_gallery_17883_3113_569434.jpgrmweb1134willskit66

So I did a quick fix before the paints dried.

I need to sort the door and the 'window' above it. The big question is the window appear to be very large to get the height to the window, and the real window is not so large....I am of the opinion that where you see 2 steps in front of the extension door, there is one here too, and in order to make the proportions look ok I think that is the only way to go.

med_gallery_17883_3113_183380.jpgrmweb1135willskit67

• Like 4

double vision

med_gallery_17883_3145_446904.jpgrmweb1128gbrf66706T

02 E-bay....howes sound and has been privately weathered

06 was 02 Bachmann sound...Sheffield Transport Models....Kal renumbered

01 E-bay Bachmann original number no sound

med_gallery_17883_3145_442669.jpgrmweb1129brfg66706U

Best not mention 66705 not in these pictures

E bay original number Golden Jubillee. No sound as new.

......or the others......66720,66722, 66725,66731,66745.Kal does like GBRF. He has class 20901 of which he has 2 because he thought he could renumber it and there was some issue with a head code. And a 92.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Kal says maybe he should do as Mick (Newbryford) suggested)

...a new thread......

Kal's Mostly GBRF Work Bench.....a tribute to Mick's Mostly Yellow Work Bench. :sungum:

Blue is the new yellow.....

Cheers,

Mick

Now Kal is not happy, he thinks he is not doing a good job, he forgets this is his first go at several new skills, and I think he is actually learning stuff really fast.

med_gallery_17883_3145_411676.jpgrmweb1130gbrf66706V

med_gallery_17883_3145_151180.jpgrmweb1131gbrf66706W

med_gallery_17883_3145_291739.jpgrmweb1133gbrf66706Y

med_gallery_17883_3145_191747.jpgrmweb1132gbrf66706X

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No

Blue and yellow is the new yellow

Or in the case 0f 66720.

blue and green and pink and purple and orange and yellow is the new yellow........

Cheers,

Mic

• Like 1

Hi Tony

Good to hear from you, I hope things are going well with you.

Well the almighty's original design was Heron Blue, but that was pre war, they only turned green during the dark ages ;)

• RMweb Premium

Kal. you can get some great results with weathering powders and thinners! I have a shallow box over which all weathering powder is applied. The box collects all the drop off and this mix is the grubbiest stuff, perfect for mixing with thinner and brushing on to wheels and old under frames etc .

Good to see that you too are having fun! 

Ok I had a good look at this picture and, not only does it confirm the slope but there is not a step or two, there's FOUR in front of the main door, and two in front of the extension. Again Sasquatch set this picture back in front of me. I have seen it many times just not taken a good hard look at it.

So the slope which is apparent in the foreground is next to the buildings, Having cut my un windows and sized them I can't turn the sheets upside down....so will need to use the spare that gets cut off the top to pop under the the ground level defined by the bottom of the door. 

The big questions as it is not clear is ...are both doors at the same height at the bottom of the door....or is there a step up into the extension. This makes a difference as to where I set the door. I plan to get the opening above the left hand door in ratio to the windows and the door, and where ever the bottom of the door falls.....live with it....and model accordingly....

Aidensfield_Police_House.jpghttp://heartbeat.wikia.com

The small window on the right will need butchering as well. In order to get the pane of glass size correct.

FYI The third building is large and set well back, and I believe the cameramen in Heartbeat manage to not get it in view. Therefore is does not need to be considered. It is not adjacent to the House, and appears to be a good size barn. Checking out google maps will show this.

• Like 1

Ok I am back to the terraforming predicament. I have a nice space between Goathland and Aidensfield Arms. I want to fit in the Police House and preferable the carpark for the pub. The police house I have chosen to model is the original , not even in Goahland, and when they film it THEY CHEAT. The frontage does not have a road in front but a field with a goat. I cannot find any pictures of the back...which is bad because I have nothing to model on, and good, because no one can say I did it wrong   :blum:

But I have my roadway from Gaothland to the bridge. And I want to join the station through a road to Goathlnad village i.e. Heartbeat. 

I need a slope for the front of the house. and getting it to look good is driving me potty. I have tried most angles in a 360 rotation. It probably worked best when facing away from the centre of the room. SO you don't see the recognisable part. Oh that's SO useful. NOT. If I pop it the way it views best, it encroaches on the car park. Hmmmm.

I had considered fitting in the police house on the same side as Aidensfield arms, and shops on the other side. I have decided the shops need more room and to be done properly. Kal agrees as he was not keen on seeing the back of the shops as you walk down the loft.

med_gallery_17883_3001_287011.jpgrmweb696heartbeat31

This is where I was considering putting the police house, The slope would be at say road height on the left and rise up to the extension. As I am going with the 4 steps on the main door and 2 steps on the extension door. Its not a great deal of height but will have a visual impact I could take the landscape across the whole width and make second road that rises up then goes down again into Goathland Village. It's not real right, but the police house here is fictional, and would follow with the view from Goathland station if the police house was replaced with a mother building and when photographing Heartbeat put the police building. It sorts the continuity issues. But the carpark will have to be reduced in size, even iff I incorporate it into the back of the police house area....ie. doubling as an access for the police house.

med_gallery_17883_3001_263259.jpgrmweb694heartbeat29.

Kal had suggested this idea previously, and I am coming to the conclusion it's the only way to solve the issue. I would then probably only put one building i.e. the police house in this area, and make an attempt to make the rest of the area yorshire moor like.

the paint dried

med_gallery_17883_3113_356480.jpgrmweb1136willskit68

And I have popped the windows back in

med_gallery_17883_3113_212305.jpgrmweb1137willskit69

checked it against the other wills sheets

med_gallery_17883_3113_357387.jpgrmweb1138willskit70

And decided I need a mother paint job.

med_gallery_17883_3113_494102.jpgrmweb1139willskit71

Oh what a terrible trial......paint paint paint........

Sasquatch

Nice idea I'll invest n a shallow really useful box, big enough for locos and buildings.

Have anyone ever tried real soot? Or is it too gritty?

i've used bbq ash before around exhausts

• Like 1

From briquettes? well in that case, I think rubbing some black off the chimney seems worthwhile. I'll trial it as watering powder on something cheap.I did try actual soil on a car. I just put the mud in a small bowl with some water and painted it on to see the effect. I never 'fixed' it so it could be rubbed off. It is still on the vehicles.

med_gallery_17883_2760_743033.jpgIMG 1162

• Like 4

Still wet.

med_gallery_17883_3113_661769.jpgrmweb1140willskit72

The Will kit sheet on the right has a lovely texture.And although technical it is too big, it gives the right flavour, and will be set back, from the main building.

When it is all together I will need to kill the shine though.

• Like 1

Freebs

It''s not quick though, really you need  a little production line, with several buildings on the go, as you are forever waiting for something to dry!!!.

You patience with your work leaves me in awe, and this is not even from scratch!!!!

A copy from google.maps.co.uk

This clearly shows. The road at the bottom of the picture.Below the road is The Black Horse Pub.

Above the road where a private road leads of that to the left is one house and outbuildings,but the buildings on the right hand side show the police house, with the extension set back beyond the ridge line and facing a field actually has no road or private drive in front of the house. The entrance curves around to the right behind these two building, then into an open work area, with the large barn like building in the top left, it is large enough to give the impression that it is next to the police house and the extension. 

Historically these house was a real police station, but is apparently now in private ownership. And photographs other than from West Lane of the small field adjacent to West Lane and in front of the house are not to be found, and neither is any pictures of what it looks behind. The extension protrudes slightly proud of the house at the back. And could be almost anything even a garage. Although we now when it was filmed for Heartbeat, and when it was uploaded to Google Maps the two small windows are visible and the door would appear to be in situ, although the bush on google earth does a great job of make it un-viewable. Similarly where there are two reasonably large trees where the private drive diverts behind the two separate homes, the bushes also are of sufficient height to give very little extra information

med_gallery_17883_3001_387532.png

• Like 1

Hi Jaz

Great painting of your brick work, that is so cool... how many shades of colours did you use to complete that...

excellent work Jaz, so good, and also the research you put in to get the end result.

Jamie

Only 3 and a bit, but I did dip paint brushes between the pots contaminating the colour (hopefully just on the brush. And mixed more than one colour on some bricks. I had a beige colour a grey colour and two browns.