Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Having spent ages trying to find other pictures....I have given in and am going for a best guess.....

One last check of the pictures that were courtesy of mkwolf1877

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-space-the-final-frontier-to-boldly-go-where-no-layout-has-been-before/page-26&do=findComment&comment=1176397

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Although I do wonder to my self. You chose a police house that is NOT really in Goathland, but in Askwith miles away, and you can get pictures that you could do with. The film crew cheated and made it look as though there was a front access which there isn't....it was supposedly burnt down in the Heartbeat series and replaced by a new one which is in Goathland, could you have made it more difficult for yourself  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I am sure I saw one   ................................

lovely pictures,thank you very much.Have you seen any with any dirt???

YYeeeeesssssss!!     ...........   Here it is  ..............................    :sungum:  :sungum:

13248898315_0af2872167_c.jpg
Kal dirt by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

:jester:  :jester:

Ok  ...    leaving now   .......

Cool thank you.

Well if the metros get very dirty, no reason to belive others do not too.

I suppose it depends on the job and the weather

Cool thank you.

Well if the metros get very dirty, no reason to belvedere others do not too.

I suppose it depends on the job and the weather

Edited by Kal

So I matched the top of the door, took into account the window, and could only fit in 2 steps, so 2 will be below and some playing with the terrain will cover the difference. Having the sheet join underneath should make it stronger. I had the height, another time I might allow for mor of the building to be bedded in...that would I suppose make it stronger.

med_gallery_17883_3001_451981.jpgrmweb1142willskit74

and the door place in so you can see how it will be sited

med_gallery_17883_3001_490313.jpgrmweb1143willskit75

Has anyone else done the internal floor and wall plan?

• Like 3

From briquettes? well in that case, I think rubbing some black off the chimney seems worthwhile. I'll trial it as watering powder on something cheap.I did try actual soil on a car. I just put the mud in a small bowl with some water and painted it on to see the effect. I never 'fixed' it so it could be rubbed off. It is still on the vehicles.

med_gallery_17883_2760_743033.jpgIMG 1162

yeah, what ever ash is left in the bottom of the bbq when cleaning it out.

• Like 3

Looking at that picture if i had a long tray of thin wet mud, and whizzed the wheels through it a few times it probably would have made fairly realistic dirt......maybe some fun in the future for a nice warm day....a car some mud and a hose.......perhaps Kal will need to watch his back....hehe.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So, EWS are not so good a cleaning as GBRf it would seem

The picture posted was on RHTT duty. All RHTT locos get very filthy, very quickly.

Even DRS normally keep their stuff clean, but not on RHTT.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59961745@N06/8205457996/in/photolist-dv67MJ-hVx9g7-hXrAq8-hVwQBi-atX3U9-atVs9X-avi8tS-hYxbbD-aubcFj-hYu8Ub-dhYYZK-dk28CG-aR2qBt-i8dDUv-aMmr8T-azULrZ-aD3wdx-jz14wn-haTt53-dueMQe-ax46EU-hZ7u4M-i4oQtE-jz2jK4-jz14nz-gf3Vtm-dpfPUw-dpfPGu-ax1peP-azMCmB-azMCmX-azMCmK-dqgKhd-azMCmr-aw2SJN-aw3bCo-dhYYBo-hVMGDV-aNcQP2-aBDi8o-aBDi8m-dBgiHx-dBgh4i-gv4V4j-hVMGtz-aw2SJw-doFNsP-doFWKC-hZ7qBh-diJBfJ-aBDTqE

Yellow stuff isn't immune either.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30268259@N03/11225122075/in/photolist-i6VFHv-hqJXXj-ax2ixx-gGJYTb-azP1Rw-hs6D9w-dq9ieU-dq9n1b-dq9bZt-9N9gx9-dvstsW-dvmUx2-dnHfKs-dvmTdk-aFt1Tr-avXXLZ-hntAXH-hnv6sV-avXXGk-hnuYXk-dv7Uno-aGigBB-hntrGt-8PvQyX-hnvg8M-atEeDr-atGQWQ-atEcNF-atEbsg-dvmU66-dqfJ6H-hUXmBA-hqqt9T-hr1XBs-aPrnxc-dngWLY-dpdd6F-dkgjeN-hUWSEp-g66dw9-aGnicV-dGoq7V-dpdmvJ-aTkQYF-dotrxb-hNPp2Z-aKdwmp-dqgyaD-dqgxmi-asCZJR-dib4n7

RHTT are Rail Head treatment Trains that come out to play in leaf-fall season and spray the railhead with high pressure water jets and some also apply a paste called Sandite to help adhesion. The sprayer kicks up a load of muck which finds it's way onto any nearby surface.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Using the google birds eye view. I measured the length of the main house on my computer screen  which was 2cm and the extension 1.5cm. So the extension is 3/4s of the main building in length.

So if the model main building is 15cm the extension should be 10.75cm.

As I know the building is well set back, and the pictures are all taken from the roadway. It is obvious a chunk of wall to thel left of the extension window is hidden from view.

Aidensfield_Police_House.jpghttp://heartbeat.wikia.com

This picture where the front of the main house is much shorter on the right than the left is also angled from the left, the building behind is some distance away but looks as though it is close buy. I wonder if I can put my model on the layout in such a way as to get the Aidensfields Arms to create a similar shape. 

Also note those two trees are BIG. The one to the left towers over the main house, but the one to the right it towers over the building in the distance.THat might be tricky in order to get Aidensfield Arms cameo to work (although I could have a tree that is placed in for the shot then removed afterwards  :smoke:

It occurs to me, that I can sneak the road in to the right, as there is nothing to say this doesn't happen. Ah the miracles of modern TV.

So I need to size the extension. But place it on the layout in order to see if I can manage a reasonable facsimile. 

If I can't I may go eat....a large bar of chocolate....I'm too old for a tantrum. :jester:

I do have one thought though.....the door and windows are slightly lower to the right surely? Because there is no opening above the door. Which gives the extra height on the main building. But the door is not as low as I would have expected considering the extension is also set back. I have a nasty suspicion that the reason there appears to be 4 steps on the main building and 2 on the extension is that the floor might actually be higher. We can all see the slope.........

I need to go do some terraforming. And a photograph or two before taking the plunge and deciding where best to take the top like of the extension building.

Next scratch build  building will either be fantasy...or somewhere I can get decent views.

• Like 2

The picture posted was on RHTT duty. All RHTT locos get very filthy, very quickly.

Even DRS normally keep their stuff clean, but not on RHTT.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59961745@N06/8205457996/in/photolist-dv67MJ-hVx9g7-hXrAq8-hVwQBi-atX3U9-atVs9X-avi8tS-hYxbbD-aubcFj-hYu8Ub-dhYYZK-dk28CG-aR2qBt-i8dDUv-aMmr8T-azULrZ-aD3wdx-jz14wn-haTt53-dueMQe-ax46EU-hZ7u4M-i4oQtE-jz2jK4-jz14nz-gf3Vtm-dpfPUw-dpfPGu-ax1peP-azMCmB-azMCmX-azMCmK-dqgKhd-azMCmr-aw2SJN-aw3bCo-dhYYBo-hVMGDV-aNcQP2-aBDi8o-aBDi8m-dBgiHx-dBgh4i-gv4V4j-hVMGtz-aw2SJw-doFNsP-doFWKC-hZ7qBh-diJBfJ-aBDTqE

Yellow stuff isn't immune either.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30268259@N03/11225122075/in/photolist-i6VFHv-hqJXXj-ax2ixx-gGJYTb-azP1Rw-hs6D9w-dq9ieU-dq9n1b-dq9bZt-9N9gx9-dvstsW-dvmUx2-dnHfKs-dvmTdk-aFt1Tr-avXXLZ-hntAXH-hnv6sV-avXXGk-hnuYXk-dv7Uno-aGigBB-hntrGt-8PvQyX-hnvg8M-atEeDr-atGQWQ-atEcNF-atEbsg-dvmU66-dqfJ6H-hUXmBA-hqqt9T-hr1XBs-aPrnxc-dngWLY-dpdd6F-dkgjeN-hUWSEp-g66dw9-aGnicV-dGoq7V-dpdmvJ-aTkQYF-dotrxb-hNPp2Z-aKdwmp-dqgyaD-dqgxmi-asCZJR-dib4n7

RHTT are Rail Head treatment Trains that come out to play in leaf-fall season and spray the railhead with high pressure water jets and some also apply a paste called Sandite to help adhesion. The sprayer kicks up a load of muck which finds it's way onto any nearby surface.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

Again thank-you, the more we understand little things like this about the real railway, the more certain things make sense and the opportunity to make more realistic models is possible.

It is fantastic listening to you and other peoples knowledge of the real thing, it real opens up the questions of why such and such is done, or why such a things happens.

People always say find an example and copy it, good advise of course, but I think the real eye opener is understanding what it is you are seeing.

Such a cool hobby, from they outside people think is just people with anoraks that wear a peaked cap wave a flag and blow a whistle at weekends, while that maybe the case  for some enthusiasts , once you get beyond that, it amazing how much there is to know.

Much appreciated.

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

Newbryford and Andy P

Nice reference matter for us to use for the weathering thank you very much. Clearly people don't put up much tags for 'dirty' 'grubby' etc. Which is what we need to locate the little devils.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jaz.

Did you know that you can measure buildings on google earth? Click on the ruler icon and select feet. Then right click with mouse and drag! Multiply by 4 to give mm, 1/76 scale!

• RMweb Premium

Am thinking the lie of the land around the police house slopes from back right to front left. That's why the house looks so tall!

The path to the doors runs up from the left and the extension roof slopes down to the rear. The rear layout of the windows is probably the same as the front but maybe a center window upstairs to provide light down the stairs which run up the center inside as there are chimneys both ends.

Hi Jaz.

Did you know that you can measure buildings on google earth? Click on the ruler icon and select feet. Then right click with mouse and drag! Multiply by 4 to give mm, 1/76 scale!

I did use this technique for measuring the Goathland station, and comparing the relationship within buildings.It was especially useful for sorting out the length of the platforms. I think you pointed it out then and I took advantage of it. :sungum:

The police house was set from the window size as I used those for the Wills Kit. But I agree this is a great way to go about it.So it more about the relationship using those windows. If I get the proportions sorted it will al work out in the wash.

I did use this technique for measuring the Goathland station, and comparing the relationship within buildings.It was especially useful for sorting out the length of the platforms. I think you pointed it out then and I took advantage of it. :sungum:

236 feet Down and 251 feet Up

Edited by Boris

Ok I have been busy, but not on the modelling I have some free time so am now investigating the terraforming for the police house.

I have a cunning plan......

and whilst up their measuring the foam I need yesterday evening for the cunning plan..........the light was irresistible so I took some pictures.

The hoodie in his favourite spot, behind the toolshed, 

med_gallery_17883_3001_280282.jpgrmweb1146heartbeat1

• Like 8

Near Scripps Garage the dappled sun......

there's some giggling in the back ground...apparently there are people drinking nearby at the Aidensfield Arms. 

med_gallery_17883_3001_305039.jpgrmweb1147heartbeat2

Behind the Aidensfield Arms, a trio of E type Jags is parked, the dappled light is offset by the dark blue sky behind...perhaps a storm is brewing, someone might want to consider if it rains those cars are going to turn into ponds!!!

med_gallery_17883_3001_109480.jpgrmweb1150heartbeat5

Outside by the main road, the local bobby is looking a bit pensive.....perhaps he too is worries about those expensive cars if bad weather is approaching.....

med_gallery_17883_3001_36843.jpgrmweb1151heartbeat6

On the other hand he may be considering that the tree will not give him too much cover and he might want to be in door when and if the bad weather hits!!!

• Like 10