Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

There are good photos on the 'net, but they all lead back to sites where you are supposed to but them :(

The ones I have done have that problem....

I like this one from David link...but the same problem

http://www.canstockphoto.com/fan-factory-havana-8828526.html

edited= as the link gave a redirection page it now goes to the picture direct.

Edited by Jaz

I painted and 'signed' these some time ago. They are from Ten Commandments, and were plain white plaster when I started. The labels if I remember correctly were in the kit. Being low relief they will come in handy. At the moment they just sit in their boxes until being issued a final position. They are most likely to go on the back scene in the old loft in places where the back scene needs a bit of added interest.

med_gallery_17883_3149_185911.jpgrmweb3092spaldingstation27

med_gallery_17883_3149_109411.jpgrmweb3093spaldingstation28

I am thinking the cleaner ones look better once placed on buildings......

But what ?  Seagulls, Sign's or Fan's........?

• Like 1

I painted and 'signed' these some time ago. They are from Ten Commandments, and were plain white plaster when I started. The labels if I remember correctly were in the kit. Being low relief they will come in handy. At the moment they just sit in their boxes until being issued a final position. They are most likely to go on the back scene in the old loft in places where the back scene needs a bit of added interest.

med_gallery_17883_3149_185911.jpgrmweb3092spaldingstation27

med_gallery_17883_3149_109411.jpgrmweb3093spaldingstation28

I am thinking the cleaner ones look better once placed on buildings......

Think about re-siting the......... Air intakes....(scroll down to page    six,basic).... :drag: ...say on the side of the building..... :angel: ... :no:

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 2

Think about re-siting the......... Air intakes....(scroll down to page    six,basic).... :drag: ...say on the side of the building..... :angel: ... :no:

This is the side of the building :angel: .....

you should see the long side :O ....... :jester:  ....no wonder these are light low relief.....

The deliver vehicles back up on the frontage....... :sungum: ......I may cut a picture out of a magazine and slap it to the side :butcher:  :jester:

If you are going to go the Rivet Counter way  ................

hmmm.....

If those three "monkeys" are so wise.....  why have they not pointed out by now, that they are not in fact Monkeys, but Chimpanzees???

Like model railway's,  it is open to your own interpretation,..............suppose,.......you wanna be a purist, then  ??

.................................    what will you "Count" on your Monkeys    ...................       :jester:  :jester:                                                 ............................................    come to think of it  ...   probably best not to know  ...     :O  :nono:

Brrrrr  ...   there was another cold sort of shuddering moment there   .....    must be Autumn arrived  ......    :scratchhead:

Continuing the Spalding Pictures....

med_gallery_17883_2781_900415.jpgrmweb3066spalding station1

med_gallery_17883_2781_815958.jpgrmweb3067spaldingstation2

med_gallery_17883_2781_278832.jpgrmweb3075spaldingstation10

med_gallery_17883_2781_533887.jpgrmweb3084spaldingstation19

A sign of the times, to restrict people using the waiting room as an hotel room

• Like 2

med_gallery_17883_2781_566350.jpgrmweb3077spalding station12

the new signals

med_gallery_17883_2781_719185.jpgrmweb3082spaldingstation17

and for those that think the station is missing something

med_gallery_17883_2781_518702.jpgrmweb3087spalding station22

just beyond the new signals

med_gallery_17883_2781_381409.jpgrmweb3081spaldingstation16

going 'north'

• Like 7

For all the fact that the new signage looks clean, clear and smart  ....   it just doesn't fit in well with the older buildings  .....

maybe it just wasn't placed any too smartly   .......     :scratchhead:

I noticed one or two windows were board, so it does occur to me that it is a possibility that a couple of the windows are covered on purpose, being dual purpose.

The local Spalding Railway Club did at one time hold their club meetings inside. The rooms, however, were small, and they have moved to a larger roomed accommodation.

some of the recent detailing at Spalding Station

AWS

med_gallery_17883_2781_272486.jpgrmweb3073spaldingstation8

I asked at the ticket office. He said the old one was the working model. The new one was in and would be pored one week end in October 2014, I presume they'll do the signals at the same time.

the man in the ticket office must wonder if this is planning to cost him his job

med_gallery_17883_2781_864863.jpgrmweb3074spaldingstation9

especially if you notice this piece of kit as well.....

med_gallery_17883_2781_113856.jpgrmweb3071spaldingstation6

• Like 4

I am beginning to see the advantages of scratch build, you design it yourself and when you have problems with bits, you can just redo them....

these pylons....are a pain....

med_gallery_17883_3113_66286.jpgrmweb3099pylon1

when I first saw these I though simples.....but the bits have not be made to well in parts, align bits just so so that the next bit fits is also a pain, and I am good at getting a lot of glue over me!!!!

Those parts a hove thankfully went together nicel, and having read the instructions carefully i got them all the tight way around,

getting them to stand in the feet was fun...not.....and i eventually got a file and enlarged a couple of the fit just enough to git the parts into place,

med_gallery_17883_3113_610013.jpgrmweb3100pylon2

know that when i my son picked up a piece previously and it broke so easily....some of the pars particularly the v shaped parts are very fragile.

med_gallery_17883_3113_19199.jpgrmweb3101pylon3

these parts slip over the 'neck' of the main pylon and needs to sit horizontally

and getting them to sit properly is not easy, any early parts not exactly aligned have a knock on effect and it gets worse as you go on, so to get everything to sit to gather is rather important.  

med_gallery_17883_3113_441955.jpgrmweb3102pylon4

after two attempts to get the v to see still and not sink down under its own weight once let go....

I decided to take advantage of gravity, but had to cope the parts already added

there's always more than one way to skin a cat....

and getting them to sit properly is not easy, any early parts not exactly aligned have a knock on effect and it gets worse as you go on, so to get everything to sit to gather is rather important.  

med_gallery_17883_3113_443223.jpgrmweb3103pylons5

technically the pylons should be painted very pale grey / aluminium.....but I am suspecting a duller matt grey will photograph better. These things are all over the place, and rarely show much wear and tear.

When these these are finished they will need to be sited in a spot you do not want to by leaning over, they are fragile and will catch on clothing easily......I will be placing this very very carefully.

• Like 6

Refering back    ...   to the earlier comment about the signs   .........   

especially if you notice this piece of kit as well....

................      wouldn't most of us put the Help Point   .....   well   .....   next to the machine you might need help using   ........    :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

Edit:-  They might have put the machines there instead of the Ticket Office man  ...................................     but they certainly won't replace him  ........   

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I like the pictures of Spading Station, it looks very nice.  We passed through Spalding last year on the way home from Mablethorpe, yes we were going the long way round.  The station looks quite nice.

At our local station there must be three ticket machines but there is still a man who sells tickets some of the time, the rest of the time he is a cleaner.  I am not sure he works weekends so it is only machines then.

I am beginning to see the advantages of scratch build, you design it yourself and when you have problems with bits, you can just redo them....

when I first saw these I though simples.....but the bits have not be made to well in parts, align bits just so so that the next bit fits is also a pain, and I am good at getting a lot of glue over me!!!!

Those parts a hove thankfully went together nicel, and having read the instructions carefully i got them all the tight way around,

getting them to stand in the feet was fun...not.....and i eventually got a file and enlarged a couple of the fit just enough to git the parts into place,

know that when i my son picked up a piece previously and it broke so easily....some of the pars particularly the v shaped parts are very fragile.

these parts slip over the 'neck' of the main pylon and needs to sit horizontally

after two attempts to get the v to see still and not sink down under its own weight once let go....

technically the pylons should be painted very pale grey / aluminium.....but I am suspecting a duller matt grey will photograph better. These things are all over the place, and rarely show much wear and tear.

When these these are finished they will need to be sited in a spot you do not want to by leaning over, they are fragile and will catch on clothing easily......I will be placing this very very carefully.

See you have made...........Progress     Jaz

• Like 1

Pylons......rashing fashing pylons.....some of you may remember when I started the first one.....my darling son coming along and saying ooh whats this ...picks up snaps part.....looks askance and disappears sharpish.....I got the glue to put it back together, popped some glue on it tried to pop it in place and it pinged off!!!!!!! :O

Serious moaning groaning ...Kal came to investigate, searched on the table on the floor on the chair on the sofa on my clothes in my hair and NOTHING nadda dee nadda!!!!!! Son top of my hit list :triniti:

Anyway........today I was carrying on with the pylons.....yeah your streets ahead of me :beee: ......I found it......not that I suspect it is going to do me any good what so ever :butcher:​ .......because of course it had glue on it.....and it is firmly glued.....of the super duper glue kind :crazy: ......

IF any one has any bright ideas.......I am ALL ears......we so need a two hands behind ears bending them foreword....followed by...... slapping forehead...... with sound.....in my case gnashing of teeth sound...... :scared:

ALL 3 in progress.....the first one to the far left..

med_gallery_17883_3113_100538.jpgrmweb3104pylon6

and for those who can't see the wood for the trees.....oh yeah that was ME!!!!!!

med_gallery_17883_3113_647234.jpgrmweb3105pylon7

• Like 1

Fantastic Jaz really clever workwomanship too,

BUT did you type this up in the dark on your phone, I did understand it all, but it did make me chuckle as I do it all the time, and then go back and re read something I've written, and then go back and correct it, hahhah

No harm meant by this post so PLEASE DON'T take offfennce.

P.S. Are you going to The Great Electric Train Show this weekend?

Edited by Andrew P

Fantastic Jaz really clever workwomanship too,

BUT did you type this up in the dark on your phone, I did understand it all, but it did make me chuckle as I do it all the time, and then go back and re read something I've written, and then go back and correct it, hahhah

No harm meant by this post so PLEASE DON'T take offfennce.

P.S. Are you going to The Great Electric Train Show this weekend?

no offence taken......I know your sense of humour :sungum: ....and Kal often points out my bloopers......

and where's the show?

• Like 1

Andy thanks you for the crafty clever...just as well you did NOT read this post.......

where the bit should have been

med_gallery_17883_3113_508216.jpgrmweb3106pylon8

and sort of how it should be ....I say sort of....

med_gallery_17883_3113_84048.jpg

There are also some other pertinent points to well...point out.....as I tended to do this at speed between other jobs.....and it might not have been a good idea....

Those black dangly things have holes and you can thread 'high tension' wires through them.....well if i had lines them up properly you could have done. 

ONE of them is ok.....guess which one will be nearest for anyone looking!!!!!

The Vs took some serious messing about to get them to stay in place I left one and went back.....mistake.....one side droops against  it's pair on the other side....

tha one will need facing carefully

And of course there is the one with the broken piece attached to the base......I am considering a knife.....but I have this awful feeling I'd slide the blade through the wrong thing...and no 

not my finger....

not my throat......

through what is left of the pylon.......I believe white spirit MIGHT rescue the situation....lets hope I don't melt the leg........hmmmm

It was a cheap kit, the instructions were basic (I had to refer to the picture on the front of the box for help a couple of times...and should perhaps of looked a little closer more than a couple of times!!!!)

I'm still thinking popped to the back no one else would know if I hadn't made a song and dance of pointing it all out....just in case you fancy making this kit too..... :O ....

I'm remembering that crane that I was told was hard, and I got it first time.......and am now wondering if it was beginners luck........ :scratchhead:

• Like 4

no offence taken......I know your sense of humour :sungum: ....and Kal often points out my bloopers......

and where's the show?

Hornby Magazine G E T S at Gaydon Motor Museum on the M40 between Warwick and Stratford, its quite a BIG show.