Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Lintels are above the windows, not at the sides. Think if it this way, what is holding up all the stones above the window recess? Mortar alone and the wall above would collapse. You could always fill in the gaps between stones with that latex stuff if you don't want to cut any more out but it looks wrong without lintels.

the police house above has stone all around the windows like a picture frame, but I am not inclined to copy it, although around the door with the greenery taking hold I think it more interesting. I could as you say mould an edging, the latex would probably not be appropriate although the putty would probably be doable. Once I get the stones correct, I will have a look at the proportions. 

I am certainly up for trailing several ideas, and the sills are not glued in position as yet, so everything is up for being messed with. The scribing gets boring very quickly though. If I decided to more than one building I would consider making a mioud if there was no suitable large sheets of ready made. Or using the LINKA moulds that I am still to play with.

• Like 2

did you put anything into the moulds first so the plaster was easier to remove when set?

I have the proper LINKA stuff, but Sasquatch made a first model of his LINKA then retro moulded the moulds he made his out of resin stronger and more resilient. I am very tempted to try that. I love his Abbey.

Edited by Jaz

this was the last picture I out up

med_gallery_17883_3113_93862.jpg

the bottom right repainted, and latexes the bottom left

med_gallery_17883_3113_79263.jpgrmweb3163policehouse31

I added some white weathering, as the wall was a bit too colourful for the police house wall....

then after trying to make it look more like the real think I went looking at lintels....and thought this looks much nicer....

med_gallery_17883_3113_401004.jpgrmweb3164policehouse32

which led to this

med_gallery_17883_3113_685908.jpgrmweb3165

its not really like the police house and I need to pick off some of the bits....but I am actually liking it. I think I'll se what it looks like if I do all 4.

• Like 8

Cor, lovely lintels!

That's some lovely modelling.

Al

the brickwork still does not compare to yours and Freebs with the foam board. I don't think I would scribe a second time, but once I've started I just have to dig my heels in and make the best of it.And regardless I have learnt some stuff that might still be of use in the future.

I'm hoping the latex will help disguise the awful join as well.

I'll have to do something girly soon as well.....make some curtains....perhaps a nice Laura Ashley print???? :jester:

Am still fighting the good fight....although I am bored witless.....An NEVER EVER going to scribe my own brick work.........b...o...r....i...n...g.......can barely drag myself to the desk.....may have to go potter off and do something else before my mojo goes splatt!!!!  :swoon:

I do like the wills sheets, but they are so small which will inevitably involves joins, which is a pain. So will I think be sourcing something larger and easier to cut...as it makes my hands sore too. Still I will have some picture soon. I want to get the front of the main part of the building as well as the small one up to speed and a drainpipe in place......then I think I will take break. Although I could get on which other jobs.....need to go clear a space.......mojo may be ok......

• RMweb Gold

Am still fighting the good fight....although I am bored witless.....An NEVER EVER going to scribe my own brick work.........b...o...r....i...n...g.......can barely drag myself to the desk.....may have to go potter off and do something else before my mojo goes splatt!!!!  :swoon:

I do like the wills sheets, but they are so small which will inevitably involves joins, which is a pain. So will I think be sourcing something larger and easier to cut...as it makes my hands sore too. Still I will have some picture soon. I want to get the front of the main part of the building as well as the small one up to speed and a drainpipe in place......then I think I will take break. Although I could get on which other jobs.....need to go clear a space.......mojo may be ok......

Hi Jaz, this link might help,https://slatersplastikard.com/assets/pdfs/EmbossedFlyer.pdf.

you probably know of it already but if you don't it might be of use. all the best Adrian

As I have it in my mind where I am going with the windows....I decided I had best sort the door

med_gallery_17883_3113_268702.jpgrmweb3166policehouse34

Before I tried doing this with putty or anything else I decided to try the right angled stuff (technical term escapes me) so I started on the upright, matched a second one

then, I thankfully put the door bend it to check...and it is now to narrow......more filing...... :butcher:  eventually go it wide enough and did the top. Also started to fix the window cills in place.....

med_gallery_17883_3113_299105.jpgrmweb3167policehouse35

and realised although there are twos indows one size and another two another size....I have THREE different sized holes.....thankfully one is just too narrow.....oh joy......more filing...... :butcher:

and make a new cill for the correct width.....oh yes yet more filing....... :triniti:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Wow Jaz, you really know how to fill up those longer autumnal evenings. I really feel for you!

I hope this will make your day, I finally got all my stuff sorted out yesterday from my holiday. Little Austin was unwrapped and I put him in Cath's hands while her eyes were closed. All I can say is that when she opened her eyes and looked at him, a tear escaped. You really made her day. Thank you.

Jason

Wow Jaz, you really know how to fill up those longer autumnal evenings. I really feel for you!

I hope this will make your day, I finally got all my stuff sorted out yesterday from my holiday. Little Austin was unwrapped and I put him in Cath's hands while her eyes were closed. All I can say is that when she opened her eyes and looked at him, a tear escaped. You really made her day. Thank you.

Jason

I am so pleased she liked it. :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Keep the latex away from heat (radiators etc) and sunlight and it should last absolutely ages. If you ever have to repair Austin....or fancy trying the stuff out, just use a paint brush or similar and wash it out with water after. It is super for covering copper....which is why I offered some to act_mr, and remains flexible ever after so is really good for those hard to get to things....I did wonder if it could be used for insulation, and it can be torn off....although it might pull paint etc with it. If you accidently let it part dry out, a small amount of water can be used....but I would avoid this if possible. I notice on my stone 'bricks' that you have to let it fully dry before painingt or the latex gets runny and loses its texture properties....so over watering is definitely not good for it. The stuff can go a long way tho, so sampling it for various jobs....as I have done is quite cheap.

Oh and changing hairstyles on small figures is a good use, especially on cheaper figures. Use with a very small paint brush and it will add a little texture too.

Edited by Jaz

part of the reason this takes me so long is because i try to get really tight fitting, after having to fill in on the annexe building

med_gallery_17883_3113_79647.jpgrmweb3168policehouse36

two windows are just the correct height and stand in position,and the other two are a decent fit, getting the holes square for the fit was probably not essential for the windows, but for the door it was rather essential

getting the last piece on the door took some messing about. Although having now got a technique I think I could do it faster.....we'll see as I will have to add at least one more door to the back of the building.

med_gallery_17883_3113_353685.jpgrmweb316937

There is still that horrible join down the middle.....had it been a county cottage I could have modelled some ivy or a wisteria.....but there is none on the police house.....so I will need to address this two. More latex might work, but I suspect I will have to go for the putty.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

When I first opened the above post my instant thought was that you were modelling opening window frames! Then realised you were just checking dimensions!

As for the line. I'd go straight for the putty. I think if you try to put latex on there you may just get a shallower but wider line that will still be visible but possibly harder to then disguise.

• RMweb Premium

This is coming along beautifully Jaz.

Here's a trick. If you're using angle to case the windows you could just build it around the frame and pop them in the opening.

Can't wait to see it finished.

When I first opened the above post my instant thought was that you were modelling opening window frames! Then realised you were just checking dimensions!

As for the line. I'd go straight for the putty. I think if you try to put latex on there you may just get a shallower but wider line that will still be visible but possibly harder to then disguise.

Oh wow open windows.....Hm I could put a velux in on the back....because os far there are no pictures of the back...so no one can say a velux has not been added...then I could indeed model it open.

I will on try one or two bricks as I have a sneaking feeling that you are right and the latex will be difficult to cure. 

This will require another paint job regardless.I so wish I had on one colour and a bit of weathering in stead of 3 colure and two weathering layers LOL. BUT if it works I'll know for the back to prepare first and one one time only on the back. Which will be a blessing.

• Like 4

This is coming along beautifully Jaz.

Here's a trick. If you're using angle to case the windows you could just build it around the frame and pop them in the opening.

Can't wait to see it finished.

where's the smart arse icon????? :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I'll do that next time so much easier......thank you...never occurred to me..... :butcher:

Hopefully the more I do the more sensible suggestions will save me doing stuff axxe about face LOL. :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 4

part of the reason this takes me so long is because i try to get really tight fitting, after having to fill in on the annexe building

med_gallery_17883_3113_79647.jpgrmweb3168policehouse36

two windows are just the correct height and stand in position,and the other two are a decent fit, getting the holes square for the fit was probably not essential for the windows, but for the door it was rather essential

getting the last piece on the door took some messing about. Although having now got a technique I think I could do it faster.....we'll see as I will have to add at least one more door to the back of the building.

med_gallery_17883_3113_353685.jpgrmweb316937

There is still that horrible join down the middle.....had it been a county cottage I could have modelled some ivy or a wisteria.....but there is none on the police house.....so I will need to address this two. More latex might work, but I suspect I will have to go for the putty.

Run a  Vince Cable down the join, with your "Police" lamp over the door.  

• Like 3