Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

A quick bringing up to date

OK there is some serious quess work here.

1. the front of the building has ended up 15cm wide (4mm per foot) because of the relationship of the door and the windows.

15cm=150mm=150div4mm=37foot give or take. This would give you a main hall of say 6ft and 2 inner walls unto 7ft, with 30ft minus two outer walls say 28ft so about 14ft rooms either side of the main doorway.

2. from the birds eye. There is a relationship between the annexe A and the main house B of A2/B3 therefore if the main house is 150mm the annexe is 105mm give or take.

3. Also from the birds eye view the width of the main house B is basically the same as the length of the annexe A 105mm

4. Also from the birds eye view the annexe is set back as far as the main house roof ridge, and is just slightly wider than the edge of the main house. So in effect half the main house width (and annexe length) and a smidgeon. half 105mm = 52.5mmand a smidgeon 55/60mm

5. The height of the annexe is around half way mark on the updaters windows.

N.B. The windows were NOT really the correct shape and this messes slightly with the results (next time IF I want more accurate it's scratch build)

And the ridge can be measured and worked out from google maps. (I'll go do that later.)

BUT I have a number of measurements to go with.

f the picture that was courtesy of mkwolf1877

http://www.rmweb.co....26#entry1176397

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

google maps

med_gallery_17883_3001_391567.png

Aidensfield_Police_House.jpghttp://heartbeat.wikia.com

AND UNLESS ANYONE can see the following picture and advise me differently I think the left window seem more or less centrally against the annexe door. BUT the right hand window is tight against the door and has an unequal larger gap on the right. PERHAPS with those smaller window pains it was the lock up room.

and some additional questions...

A question...Sasquatch is probably the most likely to know the answer.

I am doing the windows on the main building and I would like them to be set back slightly and not flush with the outside of the wall, so they look better....

1. How would I go a bout that.Just add some plasticard around the opening at the back and fix behind it that i.e. the plasticard spacer?

2. How best to tidy it up? use more of the right angle kit?

But the windows don't do that on the real thing...so more modelling putty?

edit= plus I plan to cat the shape of the stone around the 90 degree turn and paint to match the stone at the front.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

A quick bringing up to date

and some additional questions...

A question...Sasquatch is probably the most likely to know the answer.

I am doing the windows on the main building and I would like them to be set back slightly and not flush with the outside of the wall, so they look better....

1. How would I go a bout that.Just add some plasticard around the opening at the back and fix behind it?

2. How best to tidy it up? use more of the right angle kit?

But the windows don't do that on the real thing...so more modelling putty?

Jaz

If you want to set the windows back, is it possible to stick some plasticard to the edges of the frames and the fix that inside the building?

As for tidying it up, I think it would be the modelling putty.

Just my thoughts. Someone else might have a better answer.

Duncan

• Like 3

This is how I am doing the windows

med_gallery_17883_3113_124377.jpgrmweb3144policehouse12

I cut the 40 thou plasticard with scissors and then filed one flat edge which was placed near the window edge and glued down using Revell's Contacta

and whilst wet adjust the plasticard against the opening AND the windows

med_gallery_17883_3113_185247.jpgrmweb3145policehouse

the windows are NOT yet glued in place

a second one as this helps stabilise the model when it is flipped back over

med_gallery_17883_3113_72871.jpgrmweb3146policehouse14

• Like 6

The plasticard seen from the important side

med_gallery_17883_3113_318334.jpgrmweb3147policehouse15

and it was a t this point.....

while looking close up that I decided my original attempt at cutting the stone left a little to be desired. I had used a metall ruler and a knife, attempting to match it to the stone provided in the kit.

(FYI Although I am using this kit I am not attempting to build the building that it was intended for, Sasquatch kindly pointed out that this would be a good kit to bastardise for the police station filmed in early Heartbeat programs, although the building is not actually in Goathland where part of Heartbeat is filmed)

med_gallery_17883_3113_259920.jpg

so it occurred to me the lines are too straight, not deep enough, and stone would not be so square edges......so I got a scribe and started attacking the finish, before I put the windows in place and am then not keen on bashing them about....

and started scribing the original cuts

med_gallery_17883_3113_244547.jpgrmweb3148policehouse16

the scribing is done freehand, and I leaned the scribing knife to and fro to help shape the edge of the 'stone'

• Like 8

and I also scribe over the edge into the window recess

med_gallery_17883_3113_507583.jpgrmweb3151policehouse19rmweb3151policehouse19

and a window that is not yet altered for comparison (notice no 40 thou plasticard here yet, I leant this end on some uncut 40 thou for stability.)

med_gallery_17883_3113_386259.jpgrmweb3152policehouse20

• Like 9

once I was messing with the individual 'stones' and cutting back through the paint job.....

it meant I had to repaint.....and of course play......

the initial paint job is lost.....because I thought ooooh what if I added latex to the stone to add contours.....

and once the thought flittered through my brain...a paint brush appeared in my hand......just like magic... :sungum:

oh dear this may involve a complete redo on the paint hob......

the remind of the recent paint work today is still in evidence....I was quite please with it......

but am hoping the latex will add another dimension...a 3D dimension.....

med_gallery_17883_3113_612072.jpgrmweb3157

next to the Wills kit stone work

med_gallery_17883_3113_643357.jpgrmweb3115polivehouse26

I am planning to do one whole window area and see how successful it becomes.....

but the latex has to dry fully be fore repainting or the texture will disappear.....

• Like 3

you can see where I have followed the brickwork around the profile 

med_gallery_17883_3113_442625.jpgrmweb3160policeouse28

checking the windowsill still fits with the window gel sill with the new plastic card supports

med_gallery_17883_3113_289672.jpgrmweb3161policehouse29

and a welcome bonus, the shadow shows the 'stone/brick' gap effect nicely.....hopefully I will be able to get the lighting to show this off once the building is finished....

fairly pleased with the individual stone re-surfacing....

just checking the door....the large gap is because there is a window (theres a special term can't think of it) above the door...which allows light into the hall behind. These windows often where stained glass throwing lovely colours across the inside room.

med_gallery_17883_3113_93862.jpgrmweb3162policehouse30

I will also need to add a stone step below the door.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

Cills is one thing but don't forget the far more important lintels above the windows and doors.

True, true, but if I do the top and the sides, there is no point in taking the stone work into the window opening...although it was a good exercise.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lintels are above the windows, not at the sides. Think if it this way, what is holding up all the stones above the window recess? Mortar alone and the wall above would collapse. You could always fill in the gaps between stones with that latex stuff if you don't want to cut any more out but it looks wrong without lintels.

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Glad to see you back on the building as I got the impression last time it was not your favourite type of modelling.  If you start it now then if you get fed up with it you can leave it again and come back to it later and there will be not so much pressure to get it done.

It is looking good.  The latex idea is very interesting

It was in last Friday's edition of MREMag that the 'Hint' was using tin foil to cover the inside of the rooms in a house to stop shine through.  I am not sure how it would work for full size rooms but he box idea would work quite well as you would cover the outside of it.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1