Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Premium

You have made a good job of those Jaz. Looks like a pig of a kit to build.
Despite all the typos, I find your step by step is very easy to follow!

Have you thought about fine beading wire for the high tension cables.
Good luck with straightening out the composite insulators black dangly gits. :jester:

Squatch

• Like 1

Jaz

For releasing the 'mis-stuck' part. Have you tried warm water and washing up liquid.

I don't know if it will work but it does when you stick your fingers together. (personal experience) :sclerosis:  :banghead:  :O

Duncan

• Like 1

You have made a good job of those Jaz. Looks like a pig of a kit to build.

Despite all the typos, I find your step by step is very easy to follow!

Have you thought about fine beading wire for the high tension cables.

Good luck with straightening out the composite insulators black dangly gits. :jester:

Squatch

was gits a typo? 'cos they will be now.....I thought about cutting them so i can straighten then :O ....white spirit first me thinks.....

Jaz

For releasing the 'mis-stuck' part. Have you tried warm water and washing up liquid.

I don't know if it will work but it does when you stick your fingers together. (personal experience) :sclerosis:  :banghead:  :O

Duncan

before i go for the knife i'll investigate...at worse it will just clean the model....thanks for the thought.

• Like 2

See ,Hear.....(Click image :no:  :nono: )...........post-17489-0-95519700-1412752590.jpg...........to be a speechless monkey

scan0007.jpg

that link leads to some serious pylon modelling...I always think 'skirts' are to catch the idiots that climb up and get fried!!!!!!!

I wish I could get my head around soldering, it would solve the signals and the gantry issues too, and Kal just never has enough time in the day. And he has shown me soldering it goes hit this, pop it on the end of the solder, heat some on the think you want to solder ands the other bit, then he often flicks the excess.....and I am left looking like a gold fish........... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Aahh well   .........

And he has shown me soldering; it goes hit this, pop it on the end of the solder, heat some on the thing you want to solder and the other bit, then he often flicks the excess.....and I am left looking like a gold fish.......hmmmmm white mans magic...

[spelling corrected.... to keep Sasquatch happy.]

never mind   ....   it will all improve   ......    you will get there on the end     .................................................   you just have to soldier on   ..........       :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

Yeeeee Haaaaaaa!!!!!!!

I had a brainstorm.....I think a memory cell kicked in...... :jester:

I am using Contacta to glue these at the minute, and don't remember when I changed from super glue, I changed cos I kept sticking my fingers....any way Kal went and took the super duper glue...and gave me the Contacta. He mentioned this is what i am supposed to use. :jester: .....

.Anyway the brain cell dinged.....So I put more of the contact over the already glued and dried area and waited a few seconds...and there was some movement!!!!!! Yes there was....so I added a bit more and allowed it to sink in...wetting the dry area.....and I have managed to turn 4 of the 'gits' so far. Yeeeeee Haaaaaaaa!!!!!!!......hmmm need smug icon........ :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 4

Now I wonder if it will work on the superglued bit that was broken and pinged......maybe I'll try the last of the gits first.....and get my nerve up........

But to get the blacks aligned is superb......to get that broken bit back and be able to place it correctly would be the icing on the cake.......

so pleased....going to celebrate.......drinks cabinet  here i Come....and a small shot of liquor......mmmmmmm.........Baileys? Tia Maria? oooo or both......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

I am not sure putting super glue on super glue will melt the original glue.  Does Contacta dissolve the plastic to glue it, if it does that is why it works?  I am not sure that is how super glue does it.

Jaz,

I am not sure putting super glue on super glue will melt the original glue.  Does Contacta dissolve the plastic to glue it, if it does that is why it works?  I am not sure that is how super glue does it.

WORD OF WARNING re re wetting the Contacta.....

I don't know yet about the super glue, that is on that broken bit.....

But the black bits were Contacta rewetted with more Contacta.....

although on the last one I was a bit fast...and the glue was not guide wet enough I almost ripped the bottom of the black bit of as when turning it the bottom moved when the top was not guide ready!!!!!! Luckily I realised and stopped waited and then retried...and thankfully it is still in one piece....no obvious stress marks apparent although the glue might be hiding any....

Only one to do in an emergency though....

The one on the right gets the re wetting atempt

med_gallery_17883_3113_400236.jpgrmweb3108pylon10

during...

med_gallery_17883_3113_169219.jpgrmweb3109pylon11

and moved so you can see the holes

med_gallery_17883_3113_166458.jpgrmweb3110pylon12

am still considering the bit I know had super glue.....wish me luck......

I have not tried wetting super glue with super glue.....I was planning on a white spirit test first....I think I read that recently.....will advice once I have attempted the rescue.

• Like 6

Jaz,

oh just read this properly....does Contacta melt the pastil plastic rather than rewet the glue? Well it is rather small to be sure. So I am not sure which is the reason I managed to move it. If it melts the plastic it has not melted it too deeply and the shape is maintained. Hang on I'll see if I can focus for a close up........

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

It looks as though one is a little shinier.....but the moulding shape seems ok. The shine is just excess glue...and not that much of it to be honest.

med_gallery_17883_3113_44729.jpgrmweb3111pylon13

which is quite good, because when I was battling it out with one of the vee shaped pieces which kept slipping the glue was definitely eating into the plastic then (I can't remember if that was Contacta or the super glue though).....as it was the moulded part was literally only just long enough for the job it need to do and I was quite convened if the long thin vee drew melted it would be too short and not reach both ends as required...which was when I put it on its side to let gravity help me in stead of fight me.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

that link leads to some serious pylon modelling...

I wish I could get my head around soldering,

it would solve the signals and the gantry issues too, and Kal just never has enough time in the day. And he has shown me soldering it goes hit this, pop it on the end of the solder, heat some on the think you want to solder ands the other bit, then he often flicks the excess.....and I am left looking like a gold fish.......hmmmmm white mans magic.......  :jester:   :jester:   :jester:

Why, Oh, Why ?....do you think  I left that bottle of...... Richard's............ No Clean Flux & 145 solder, behind with explicit instructions for it to be used in Practicing Soldering.

Not to be placed in your................ Display Cabinet, ............of Life Time Mementos..........No doubt that's where the pylons are heading..........

other persons' have their kid's photo's,in there,....so am told.................Now git Soldering........

Or I will tell Richard, when we next have a fag or 2, at the next show............ :drag:  :drag: 

• Like 1

Why, Oh, Why ?....do you think  I left that bottle of...... Richard's............ No Clean Flux & 145 solder, behind with explicit instructions for it to be used in Practicing Soldering.

Not to be placed in your................ Display Cabinet, ............of Life Time Mementos..........No doubt that's where the pylons are heading..........

other persons' have their kid's photo's,in there,....so am told.................Now git Soldering........

Or I will tell Richard, when we next have a fag or 2, at the next show............ :drag:  :drag: 

I will get Kal to show me how.......but unlike blokes who like playing with fire.....I don't enjoy messing with hot metal.....and it is messy......says the woman who keeps gluing herself to stuff......Didn't realise it was a DCC concepts product......I shall investigate....

• Like 1

I will get Kal to show me how.......but unlike blokes who like playing with fire.....I don't enjoy messing with hot metal.....and it is messy......says the woman who keeps gluing herself to stuff......Didn't realise it was a DCC concepts product......I shall investigate....

I think I left this in the Spare bedroom When I stayed over last month.......may come in useful........I used it to walk your Doberman's.

You could use it for soldering,...................... I s'pose...................... :drag: 

I think I left this in the Spare bedroom When I stayed over last month.......may come in useful........I used it to walk your Doberman's.

You could use it for soldering,...................... I s'pose...................... :drag: 

If Kal had seen you walking around in one of those....he would have split his gut laughing LOL

OOOHHHH,.....................HIs And Hers,          for Christmas......???

:sarcastichand:..........  :laugh: .......

I have been known to wear tight leather and so has Kal.........but only for riding on his motor cycles...........

I don't think either of us could squeeze into them at the moment, Kal has a set of Furygans....

Kal favoured this type....Furygan-Full-Apex.JPGfc-moto.de

he had a set in black white and pink (not green) similar to these...and a dayglo orange and white helmet......and red and white paddock boots

I preferred plain black. We used to bike to work. He would drop me off and I would go get changed in to my office wear. Every so often there would be an office joke about the leathers.....but the guys never drooled over my plain black leathers....they did however drool over his leathers and his bike.....A red and white Honda CBR650. We used to whizz past all the traffic queues. But they were a bit cold during the winter, so we usually used the train over the winter months.Before the Honda he had a Kawasaki like the one in Topgun. The Honda had a stupid handle on the back which was fine when he was breaking but absolutely useless when he accelerated.....how I never came off still amazes me........I used to hold on to his waist instead often for dear life!!!!! He had a mate who was a big lad and Kal would take him as a passenger with him to meets....'cos he could then pull wheelies LMAO.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

he had a Kawasaki like the one in Topgun.

That's now three things I have in common with Tom Cruise........... as well as being short and good looking

Cheers,

Mick

(I miss my GPz.................)

• Like 6

:sarcastichand:..........  :laugh: .......

I have been known to wear tight leather and so has Kal.........but only for riding on his motor cycles...........

I don't think either of us could squeeze into them at the moment, Kal has a set of Furygans....

Kal favoured this type....Furygan-Full-Apex.JPGfc-moto.de

he had a set in black white and pink (not green) similar to these...and a dayglo orange and white helmet......and red and white paddock boots

I preferred plain black. We used to bike to work. He would drop me off and I would go get changed in to my office wear. Every so often there would be an office joke about the leathers.....but the guys never drooled over my plain black leathers....they did however drool over his leathers and his bike.....A red and white Honda CBR650. We used to whizz past all the traffic queues. But they were a bit cold during the winter, so we usually used the train over the winter months.Before the Honda he had a Kawasaki like the one in Topgun. The Honda had a stupid handle on the back which was fine when he was breaking but absolutely useless when he accelerated.....how I never came off still amazes me........I used to hold on to his waist instead often for dear life!!!!! He had a mate who was a big lad and Kal would take him as a passenger with him to meets....'cos he could then pull wheelies LMAO.

Bet, you got some funny look's wearing that lot, on the train............Hmmm........... :O

Jaz

Duncan

after reading ALL the suggestions...I finally decided to have a go this morning. I googled and checking through several replies, one said the manufactures claim you CAN use hot water. So I went to the bathroom to run the water as hot as I could (our boiler does instant hot water) and held the corner in the water (no soap used) and in almost no time at all the part came off!!!! I am just back off to soak the single stick and see if I can get the goop of the ends rather than file it off and risk damaging the shape.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.... :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum: .

FYI Acetone is the normal prescribed measure but nail varnish is weakened acetone, and that would have been second on my list. So glad I do not have to 'manufacture' the missing part...which is not now missing. May end up with 3 good models...ooooooh yessssss.

• Like 3

Well I soaked it in hot water, and went back while it was still warm....not certain how successful it was.....and having decided to go for it I reached for a small file to tidy the glue

before

med_gallery_17883_3113_226448.jpgrmweb3112pylon14

after....lucky the glue is reasonably easily to define, and i left squarish edges as i did not want to file off to much and make it to short

med_gallery_17883_3113_360892.jpgrmweb3114pylon15

and the part in place, there is a small gap...but if the glue holds in place I can paint it after so it  is not too noticeable

med_gallery_17883_3113_486947.jpgrmweb3114pylon16

I just walked over and checked on it....and adjusted it a tad so it aligns from what ever angle you look. Once it dries I will take a picture paint and rephoto.

But am very please, this can now easily be pictured from a number of angles without the repair even being noticeable. :dancer:

• Like 5