Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Dapol Kit House

In our early days here I did put up links to these photographs, but I only put up one photograph, this is a Dapol kit house. Somewhere here on RMweb, someone else had done an absolutely brilliant job with this model. At the time I was not brave enough to put them up. If you look closely at first I did not sand the windows, and you can still some of the original moulding marks. The roof was never attached properly, and it never got a permanent spot on the layout, because the ready to plonk Hornby and Bachmann buildings that I like so much outclassed it.

So here it is in all its.....well not glory.....but it was a first attempt. I did do photos of the build LMAO.

med_gallery_17883_3051_236164.jpgrmweb508kithouse1

med_gallery_17883_3051_215862.jpgrmweb509kithouse2

med_gallery_17883_3051_513041.jpgrmweb510kithouse3

med_gallery_17883_3051_346711.jpgrmweb511kithouse4

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Oh I so hope not, I still have the books, and I occasionally read them.The lass from the top left isn't seen much thuough. Blue Jean? i like the young Strontium Dog though the elder one is there too.

I was looking out for yer man here:

Clint-Langley-digital.jpg

Has anyone else kept stuff from their childhood?

Boxes and boxes of the stuff.  If I get a moment at the weekend I'm going to dig out the rest of the toy soldiers for The Small Controller, and there are fleets of cars.  Thousands of books too, and I've got him from Mr Men to Asterix & Jennings.

Oh yes, a railway as well...

• Like 3

I played with his James Bond car and catapulted the passenger.....which NEVER turned up he has never left me forget it.

I used to to play with the batman and robin car too, the one you press and one guy pops out release and the other pops out.

And he had some American and English army vehicles, one could fire a large rocket, and another you could use matches. I used to send him crazy, being 8 years older than me he was very particular about his toys...I mean models. He painted Roman armies too. There was triremes, castles and all sorts.

He wasn't al bad though he mad me a TARDIS from a big egg box, use a paper cup painted blue in side another for the light on top, and used a small matchbox as the door lock, and some more in for my DR WHO gear. 

Asterix lol, my brother had his asterix in french....I'm sure it was to stop me taking them

I'm going to sound like a Black Catter here, but I tend to buy Asterix in Brtiain translated into languages I have learnt, so the French, English, Spanish, Latin and Serbo-Croat versions grace the shelves.  The latter was a pig to find & I had to travel to Zagreb to do so.  Still haven't found a Russian one.

I suspect that as I know the dialogue almost off by heart my skills in these languages are not as strong as I imagine, but they are easy to read...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Asterix lol, my brother had his asterix in french....I'm sure it was to stop me taking them

My Dad's got a full set of the original Asterix in French - I learnt the language more from reading them than from school!

(and now my little 'un is doing the same)

• Like 3

I wouldn't know where to begin! :O

Eagle Annuals; Look and Learn; all the Swallows and Amazons; Biggles;  Oor Wullie; Dr Who; Toby Twirl; Rupert; Thomas the Tank Engine; Hornby Dublo; Dinky Toys; etc., etc. 

And of course, boxes and bound volumes of 2,000AD.

Look and Learn!  I had those from my older cousins (the railway enthusiasts), wonder if they're still in the loft?  I got my set of Swallows & Amazons out for TSC just the other week (having been badgered by his Godfather to read them to him) and the Biggles will be next.  

The little tinker is becoming just like me - I will go upstairs and hear a sudden click as the light is turned off and a rustling as the book he is reading after bedtime is hurriedly concealed under the covers.  I find it really hard to be cross when prevarication is caused by reading - I used to prop a book behind the taps when washing up!

• Like 2

C&WR:

Of course you're right to be gentle with him. When I was a boy in the fifties avid reading was common, and yes, with a torch under the covers. Many of us learned to read well quite early. Prior to B&W TV it was our main form of entertainment, the pictures/flicks (movies) were comparatively rare treats so our imaginations were developed by reading. These days kids have so much more and easier stimulation, so reading is to be nurtured. As far as I'm concerned the best images are in my head! - but that goes back to early development.

Tony.

edit: Regarding Swallows and Amazons, I had a mixed set of stuff going back years, some originating with my older brothers, but my wife bought me a full, hard-backed set some time ago - that's how much I love them! It's the sailing and the childhood freedom. A favourite which I re-read quite recently, is: "We didn't mean to go to sea." This is actually very frightening if viewed from a small-boat sailing point of view, and the way the children handled there situation is fascinating.

Edited by Brass0four

My daughter is exactly the same - she can't go anywhere without a book - even sits cross legged on the floor in a morning, with one sock on trying to read while getting dressed.

My son however, starts crying whenever you mention reading a book. Don't know where we're going wrong - both my wife and I are addicts

Anyone read Terry Pratchett?

His current Discworld novel is about the advent of Steam Engines...

• Like 3

TSC gets home from School and is sent upstairs to get out of uniform straight away.  Sometimes it will go quiet & I find him in one sock, shirt and tie with other garments flung about as he reads whatever he's just picked up.  It's quite heartening to see a child so addicted to moving images (we use the term iPaddy for the fit he throws when taken away from his Godfather's tablet) doing so!

As for the latest Pratchett I'm waiting for the paperback.  I had written them off as being something read by the rather strange live-action roleplayers at Universty (despite having been an ardent D&D/Traveller player in my early teens) until I picked one up.  I ended up with most of the series as the man is just so clever!

My degree is in Latin, Archaeology and Ancient History and the sheer level of allusion to Classical history and literature, Egyptology, mythology and so on is astonishing.  I suspect there are nuances I miss because he has other time periods in.

Can't wait to get the train one.  The only time I get peace to read is in the bath, so I suspect I will be all prune-like by the time I finish it and thank goodness we have a second lavatory or TLHC & TSC would be bursting  ;)

Edited by C&WR

It's the sailing and the childhood freedom. A favourite which I re-read quite recently, is: "We didn't mean to go to sea." This is actually very frightening if viewed from a small-boat sailing point of view, and the way the children handled there situation is fascinating.

That's one of the series I don't remember as well.  As a nipper I used to spend a lot of summers with an Aunt & Uncle who were FE lecturers so they had the holidays relatively free while my Aged Ps worked.  My now late Uncle taught me to sail in a Wayfarer (and later to windsurf) and was also a member of the British branch of the Swiss Alpine Club and taught me to climb.  We would make occasional forays to the Lakes from East Anglia where they lived and would stay in their hut in Patterdale, so the setting of the books was familiar.

I later got into Offshore Yachting, taking Nic 55s and Discovery 67s about the place, as well as doing a bit of inshore racing.  It's going to be interesting reading the books to TSC now I really understand how sailing works.  I still have various improvised camp kit stuff in the loft for him to make a den in the garden, at least until I can afford a railway shed...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

TSC gets home from School and is sent upstairs to get out of uniform straight away.  Sometimes it will go quiet & I find him in one sock, shirt and tie with other garments flung about as he reads whatever he's just picked up.  It's quite heartening to see a child so addicted to moving images (we use the term iPaddy for the fit he throws when taken away from his Godfather's tablet) doing so!

As for the latest Pratchett I'm waiting for the paperback.  I had written them off as being something read by the rather strange live-action roleplayers at Universty (despite having been an ardent D&D/Traveller player in my early teens) until I picked one up.  I ended up with most of the series as the man is just so clever!

My degree is in Latin, Archaeology and Ancient History and the sheer level of allusion to Classical history and literature, Egyptology, mythology and so on is astonishing.  I suspect there are nuances I miss because he has other time periods in.

Can't wait to get the train one.  The only time I get peace to read is in the bath, so I suspect I will be all prune-like by the time I finish it and thank goodness we have a second lavatory or TLHC & TSC would be bursting  ;)

You are me! :)

I always discounted Pratchett as being a "Fantasy" writer and therefore not of interest, (Ok so I enjoy Hobbit and LOTR) but I was bought Men at Arms one Christmas and loved it, so I now own all of the Discworld books plus others he's written, and keep going back to them.

I don't have a degree :) I left school at 16 and became an apprentice with GPO telephones.

Your TSC sounds like my daughter though. She is an avid reader, and yet still manages to integrate with her peers despite her vocabulary and reading abilities being far in advance of most of them. 

I think we're on a same level here :) - sorry for continuing to take this completely off-topic… perhaps we'd have been better off in the Lounge...

I've got all the Discworld, including the Science of series in Hardback - I just had to have them all. Some of them being hard to track down

Even the novels written for younger readers are exceptionally well written, and like C&WR up there said - so many nuances. The current one will certainly sit well with the Steamies out there - the way he describes the birth of the Steam Engine in the first few pages is quite spine tingling :)

• Like 1

Freebs

Don't know where we're going wrong - both my wife and I are addicts

Not sure if this is connected, but my parents were gardening addicts    .........    ............   I have a Patio and a Lawn, .   .......     :senile:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Freebs

Not sure if this is connected, but my parents were gardening addicts    .........    ............   I have a Patio and a Lawn, .   .......     :senile:

Ah, classic signs of rejection...

:D

I still have all my Britains farm animals and also my class 47 and mk3s from when I was a kid. We moved around so much (Dad was in the army) a lot of stuff was tossed or donated each time we moved. 

Edited by thebritfarmer

I was fortunate. We had a big house with attic-bedrooms when I was kid - everything lived there till 1975 when I bought a very similar house and transferred everything. Then, when I got into childrens illustration, I filled lots of gaps, realising it was the images in the younger books that enthralled me. :)

I could have added Story Teller to my list but that would have been cheating. By then I was free-lancing for Marshall Cavendish and illustrating them! MC were a very lucky break.

Tony.

• Like 1

I think we're on a same level here :) - sorry for continuing to take this completely off-topic… perhaps we'd have been better off in the Lounge...

I've got all the Discworld, including the Science of series in Hardback - I just had to have them all. Some of them being hard to track down

Even the novels written for younger readers are exceptionally well written, and like C&WR up there said - so many nuances. The current one will certainly sit well with the Steamies out there - the way he describes the birth of the Steam Engine in the first few pages is quite spine tingling :)

No worries, there is no off topic here