Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

a close up after I have touched up the branches

med_gallery_17883_2992_321312.jpgrmweb819willow6

and some tidying up of the branches, cutting to make branches similar height in places, and bending them into a shape as though over a balloon which is not dissimilar to how the real ones are

med_gallery_17883_2992_533755.jpgrmweb820willow7

There are more branches on their way, with the new tub of flex bark i have a slightly faster way of producing them.

This had better work out nice, or I am going to be gutted.....it has taken a lot of effort...ok not as long as a scratch build, but I have spent a long time, sat watching tv, roping in Kal to remove the wire covers, etc etc. At the moment the main branches are holding the weight and not sagging under it.....phew

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Are you telling me there is no point in me trawling through the links to figures I have to look for home guard models?  28mm is way to big, which is a shame as there are some nice, ( and nasty), Victorian 28mm figures.

Your tree is really looking the biz now.

• Like 1

Chris N

Well the home guards might come in useful in the future, but the joke was limited to 3 characters from Dads Army specifically. Jonsey "Don't Panic Don't Panic"  Mannering the bank manager  and Sergeant Wilson (one with the ladies).

So if anyone else wants dibs....they need only hold their hand up :sungum:

The people in question know who we are on about (well 2 definitely do......the 3rd does not come tend to come on this forum). Thankfully noone thought to call me Mrs Pike as Kal was the youngest...hehe....Although there is the Wendy Richards character :angel:  which of course looks nothing like me.

Although....they did do an episode where there were practising morris dancing.......

med_gallery_17883_2878_532989.jpgrmweb150morris2

I suppose I would have to be the one in the horses head ROFL.

• Like 1

Weeell   .........................

Thankfully no-one thought to call me Mrs Pike as Kal was the youngest...hehe....Although there is the Wendy Richards character :angel:  which of course looks nothing like me.

.......................   I may just have a look at the Ladies that populate the Tea Room   .........................   :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

The tree really is too lopsided so I have started on the remain part matching it, I also decided it does not need all the branches to hang to the floor which enable me to cut some branches and double up, making the precess faster

med_gallery_17883_2992_594167.jpgrmweb821willow8

an angled picture, it might not look like it here but there are still long areas and short areas as on a typical tree

med_gallery_17883_2992_368423.jpg

I believe I have finally broken the back of this, and I have something I could put on the layout that looks like a weeping willow, at the moment is is still a spring affair, but as I keep going I will end up with the full summer look. At the end their will also need to be some work on the overall colouring.

a birds eye

med_gallery_17883_2992_265782.jpgrmweb823willow10

I plan to put on the ones I have on the side, copper twisted and flex barked drying but still to glue, then I plan to try it out on the layout.

• Like 4

If anyone else has one to make, or one they have already made feel free to join in................................... :sungum:

Go on then...

post-21664-0-21028000-1393184959_thumb.jpg

This is for my current TMD layout (In signature).

It is the same Knightwing kit you've got Jaz/Kal, but with a new roof as I didn't like the original.

I've also added chequer plate to the floor, and lighting will be added to illuminate the details I've made (Like the padlock...bet you didn't notice that!! :no: )

Great modelling BTW, loving the trees Jaz, and your renumbering skills are great Kal, you'll be trying a full respray next!!

Ta

Jack.

• Like 3

You braver than me, I plan to follow the instructions, then rely on my painting skills.

I have removed the items then carefully sanded them, am working up the courage to glue.

Kal is ahead of me. Playing with new glue etc. 

'Frayed knot.  I think, although I will never say I am right, I think that I know most 25mm, 20mm, 1/72, 1/76 figures available and there are no dad's army figures.  Having said that there may be Home Guard figures in metal.  I will have to have a look but none that look as accurate as those.

20mm any good Jaz

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/

They have a WWI section also unrelated there are a couple of figures in the 20mm section under riots that look not too bad. also in scenics some nice farm wagons. 

Edited by thebritfarmer

The willow is not yet finished BUT I wanted to get feel for it on the layout

just pressed into the PIR with the wire tails, then leant towards the river....

med_gallery_17883_2992_870371.jpgrmweb824willow11

aded a small amount of fluff to the base to hide the wires and then another photo another angle fort comparison

med_gallery_17883_2992_179563.jpgrmweb825willow12

• Like 2

20mm any good Jaz

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/

They have a WWI section also unrelated there are a couple of figures in the 20mm section under riots that look not too bad. also in scenics some nice farm wagons. 

My understanding is 28mm should be 7ft!!! and is often a lot larger to hit that market

24mm 24div4=6ft is good

20mm 20div4=5ft should be useable for teenagers, women and possibly children. Am looking at the link you gave which is very interesting. If nothing else the painting is work trying to copy.....

Thank you for the link  :sungum:

• Like 1

One from the top and it is noticeable that the branches bend too far inwards, gravity would have much more impact

I am not too certain about the centre either ....I think I have been too influenced by the Salix Youngii outside our window.

med_gallery_17883_2992_961922.jpgrmweb826willow13

A snap of the base to see how an up close photo works, it shows the side of the river needs some treatment!!!

med_gallery_17883_2992_175576.jpgrmweb827willow14

It needs more branches yet to get the full waterfall effect, these are merely interim pictures, but he has focused me back on the river which I am about to give a right seeing to.....

More pictures will follow, have to go out and collect a couple of trains Kal e-bay-ed. The light is not good today so no atmospherics.

• Like 1

Messy Refueller time again  .........    if you can't take a joke - you shouldn't have asked   ...  :no:

........................  where it sits, at the moment ....  

12749712953_e269e2d037_c.jpg
DSC_0553 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

A bit closer for the rubbish paint job   .................    and No Woodies Here either  ......  :O  :nono:

12749693313_ef8be3d0a3_c.jpg
DSC_0555 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I need to repaint the green and find a better blue, probably just paler.........   :scratchhead:

I intend to replace the legs with electric pillars for the lighting too  ......  

• Like 6

Ah so....smaty pant....I like the telephone notice. You have a similar green, it also looks good....thus I think green is a winner. Oh and the orange tab ends for the hose....nice.

Anyone noticed I am slow to paint.....method in my madness I just scoop up the good idea off you guys..... :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 2

A close up of the willow ....and not even painted properly it looks quite nice, once the waterfall is sorted this view will be gorgeous....says she hopefully

med_gallery_17883_2992_485318.jpgrmweb828willow15

Add a figure to size it up, I will add some shadows to his back pack later but for now just turn the face away

med_gallery_17883_2992_505077.jpgrmweb829willow16

The dry moss works nicely here, though it has become somewhat brittle over time. Still if I need replacement I can pop out and find some in ten minutes.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

Spotted Jaz  ..............  I sort of ...

Oh and the orange tab ends for the hose....

painted the end silver and part over-painted with the red, so the silver showed through, where the over-enthusiastic Firemen had just dropped the end on the ground, knocking the red paint off.  .....   H&S went daft over it not being Hi-Vis any-more  ....    :O

• Like 1

Andrew P

His and mine? Really your not concerned we will wow you with our efforts???

Kals

med_gallery_17883_3113_63889.jpgrmweb836knightwingkal

I went back to the tree, and he went off to watch TV and evil bay, so we are not very far. But we have both tidied the mould markings.

Not much. Especially as it is not the hardest kit in the world.

Jaz

med_gallery_17883_3113_8015.jpgrmweb836knightwingjaz

The problem being we are both being so polite as to not show the other one up.....

ooooh ooooh I had pushed the lights in the roof and the roof on the support legs (upside down) checking the fit before glueing ....as per the instructions :angel: .....he came over and poked it and it fell apart.......sabateur!!!!!!!

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Well, as well as trying to organize my stock into some sort of rational date grouping, which is not always obvious, for example when was RTC red and blue, and what about their other liveries?...

I have also been looking at kadee fitting

• Like 1

A view from Hogsmeade side of the bridge to Heartbeat ice of the bridge

med_gallery_17883_2992_556584.jpgrmweb832willow19

The buses now look like muggle buses and are no longer flying :sungum: The willow to the left is NOT the womping willow, just a muggle cousin (the new willow)

med_gallery_17883_2992_846575.jpgrmweb833willow20

• Like 2

Not always quite so idyllic  ....

with your feet dangling in the water, while the fish nip at your toes......

......  many years ago  .....  was climbing up the ladder into a boat, from Snorkling on a Kenyan reef, while some others in the boat were attracting a few fish with bread bait   .......   when a couple of sizable fish snuck up and took a couple of pieces [albeit small] out of my back.  ....   BIG Kenyan boatman,  quietly observed ...  "White man look like bread"   .......  with a great big smile ..   :sarcastic: