Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Question.....

is there a limit to how many links you can get in a single post? 

I don't seem to be able to add any more to post 2....I now just get the ? in a box. 

I tried reloading, and everything..... :(

Edited by Jaz

Hi dave /runs as required

lovely to see you again. Welcome to Arboretum Valley. :sungum:

Burnham Beeches is ancient woodland. Hence the surreal size. So much of England and Britain lost a lot of trees because of the First and Second World War. So we have so few great (great as in being large) trees now, although fine exceptions do exist. Burnham Beeches is part of my old stomping ground. A pub on the edge has a great Jazz band who play once a week...ah well used to in my younger days. Another has old fashioned skittle games......probably also gone...although at the time is was already very unusual. windsor Great Park is another great place for trees. Anyway I have decided to do a couple of 'Great' trees.

What are the pubs, Jaz?  I used to be taken to the Beeches as a child which was quite a trip, but we've now moved to just up the road.

Oh, now that is a question, I don't remember, either the years or the alcohol at the time have taken a toll. Both sat by themselves with now shops or things nearby, this was in the days when you had space invaders as a sit down table pub game. I only remember the jazz because my uncle is a trumpet player and still plays, he however now lives in Scotland. Oh I could ask him though, he might know. If I find out I'll pop it up. The jazz pub was older, and small, plus had lots of character. Tthe one with the skittle run (like a bowling alley but all in wood) was more modern brick built if I remember.Had a big carpark.

Sounds good, especially the skittle alley!  We discovered the Black Lion in Hammersmith last spring, ironically just before The Long Haired Controller moved  out of London.  She loves it because it is run by Kiwis and does proper NZ-style fush & chups (with pineapple fritters & battered green-lip mussels), The Small Controller because it has fush & chups, a skittle alley and an outdoor ping-pong table.

I collect suggestions for decent country pubs.  With a walk thrown in it's far easier to justify going for a pint!

Well if the Royal Standard is still a free house, out towards Beaconsfield it is worth a punt. They used to do a great ploughmans, with ham or cheese and half a loaf of fresh baked bread.Beware the hill back down over the motorway if you have been drinking though  :angel:

Edited by Jaz

Is that Ye Olde Royal Standard of England?  We've been past the place when doing a recce for places to live & I got some pictures of the very photogenic outside (no, I'm not going to model it) but I gather that, and here being very charitable indeed, the historic element has been somewhat embellished!

It is also eye-wateringly expensive.  We do intend to have a trip some time, but if I want a really historic pub I'll stick with The Bell at Aldworth...

Same pub. Ah well in my day it had a good reputation, and prices were not so stiff. Plus two of the bar men were taking their cocktail exams and hoping to work at the Ritz. 

My friend worked at a steak house, and one time the swing door bounced back and knocked two of her steak plates to the floor. The chef came racing over and she thought, I knew he fancied me, expecting him to see she was ok, but he quickly picked up the steaks and told her to get the commi (I think it was the commi chef) to redo the veg and he ran the steak under hot water and dumped it in a frying pan before popping on the plate, needless to say I never ate there!!! We used to meet up at Pizzaland get a jacket potato coleslaw 2 slices of pizza ad a large jug of Sangria......Then go tease the guys on guard at Windsor Castle :angel:

I did work at a pun restaurant. It boasted a good fish restaurant (there were individual restaurants inside) where I discovered a Dover Soul has to side to eat from...bargain.

However when I worked at one place there as a wine waitress (whilst at college) I was horrified to find that 

1. If someone had turned down a bottle of wine, it was put in the fridge, topped up with anything to hand, and we would be sent out with it already uncorked in order to get rid of it....EEEyewwwww!!! no wonder the uniform had a short skirt and a low front!!!

2. Whilst making cocktails, I was horrified to find that a number of the cocktails had a yucky sugar syrup replacement for some of the alcohol...I always watched my drinks being made properly after that.

Considering my own culinary behind the scenes horror stories it's amazing we eat so much take away

Edited...but I did refer to another hobby. Our first joint hobby was snakes, we ended up with 29...or was it 39? He has always been a collector.

Edited by Jaz

I don't quite understand   ...........................................

he ran the steak under hot water and dumped it in a frying pan before popping on the plate,

you would not eat here   ........................   but  ...........................

at Pizzaland get a jacket potato coleslaw 2 slices of pizza ad a large jug of Sangria

you would eat here    ................................     :this:

was snakes, we ended up with 29...or was it 39? He has always been a collector.

Presumably that doesn't include wives  .........    :hunter:   ......    :jester:  :jester:

I don't quite understand   ...........................................

you would not eat here   ........................   but  ...........................

you would eat here    ................................     :this:

Presumably that doesn't include wives  .........    :hunter:   ......    :jester:  :jester:

Not unless he has a death wish.. :triniti:  :hunter:  :girldevil:

He did mention about mormons getting four wives, I pointed out he couldn't handle another 3 like me....he blanched and desisted............ :jester:

Edited by Jaz

med_gallery_17883_3001_336374.jpgrmwebrmweb362terraforming264

a quick reminder of the tree i intended to use, i quickly researched beeches and altho individually they can be wider especially when mature, i wanted to go for a slightly narrower canopy

So where there had been 2 side branched I pointed the thicker one straight up, and added another decent branch for a slimmer taller affair.

med_gallery_17883_3001_219432.jpgrmweb363trees9

with this slightly altered silhouette, i got a surface to work on, a stainless steel tray will resist getting messed up, and i can turn it on the wood table and hopefully it is big enough to catch all the mess i drop

then i used some thin copper wire which had been left over after kal did some dcc work, these are almost as long as my finger, I pinch them against the trunk with one hand and wrap the die around the tree a few time then sort of pinch it as I let go to shape it towards the growing yip, this is not essential but will hopefully give me a nice finished look.

med_gallery_17883_3001_94782.jpgrmweb364trees10

just popping out for ten minutes you can read while I'm away....

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Your story about the steak is highly reminiscent of Down and Out in Paris and London.  There's a great one in that about the chef picking up meats which were just about to be taken to table and giving them a rub, sniff & even lick before putting them back on the plate, wiping off the finger marks, and hiding any other evidence with sauce.  

Reading that and Kitchen Confidential I'm surprised I ever eat anywhere where I haven't cooked or at least supervised the cooking myself...

one branch...starting at the end mightn't suit other people but i get a feel for how far back i can go.

when you are attaching the coper think if a fish skeleton

med_gallery_17883_3001_147658.jpgrmweb365trees11

the twist on the copper is used to tie the piece that was pinched last against the branch

​technically each piece should be a bit longer, and this are all basically the ams length, so the branches will step up in length, hopefully once all is done this just won't be too noticeable

more branches......now these are delicate and as such are likely to fall off if knocked so it is best to fix them asap, my choice for the tips is green scenes flex bark

ensure you run along the length of the green plastic ensuring the copper gets well attached, i tend to go for thin layers 2 or 3 filling in when i can still see copper,

FYI .....frankly if it was heavier it would not matter it would just cost you more to produce

med_gallery_17883_3001_100421.jpgrmweb366trees12

you can see the DAS waiting to play its part when we get to the thicker stuff

this section should have been renamed You can't see the wood for the trees, but as he is en-flight we'll have to see if he gets a chance...

Edited by Jaz

I am a messy devil and the cup in the background has some of my paintbrushes, one is used for added the flex bark with a tree this size a long handled paint brush is almost essential

i hold the end of the branch steady with one hand and paint with the other

med_gallery_17883_3001_33617.jpgrmweb367trees13

although the angle does not show of the fish skeleton, i'll do another as i continue

Edited by Jaz

An extra picture to show off the herringbone fish skeleton

med_gallery_17883_3001_50738.jpgmweb369trees15

OK normally I would continue with the copper ends and colouring, but I guess those people who are interested might want to see the trunk asap. Usually I leave this untip last in case I need to add more branches, some times the tree can end up looking a bit thin. But as there other ways to address this .

The DAS.

If your a beginner with DAS use a small pack first, keep it in a sandwich bag, and add a little water if it is drying out. to refresh it.

med_gallery_17883_3001_152883.jpgrmweb370trees16

small piece of DAS are much easier to control, if you feel it getting dry or gritty use a small bowl of water...but expect a bigger mess. Press it into the wire so it is stronger. Do not widen the tree at the moment or you will lose perspective.

med_gallery_17883_3001_38810.jpgrmweb371trees17

if you can just feel the wire under your thumb you are about right

continue up the trunk....if you have NOT fixed the copper on about now it will start getting knocked off!!!! :O

med_gallery_17883_3001_142684.jpgrmweb372trees18

NB If you have to leave these mid stream wrap in wet toilet paper add cling film and put in the coldest room you have.

Edited by Jaz

once you get to the end of the main truck, you need to either know you are happy with the branch shapes, because DAS sets, or otherwise go for plastercine which can be reshaped.

For anyone who has not modelled before, best way is to steady the tree with your weaker hand, and press the clay into the wire and then pinch between your finger and thumb to get it into place.

avoid leaving pinch marks on the trunk

ok the DAS is drying. I'm taking my own a dice AND brushing the trunk wit h thin wash of water to protect it whilst I come add this post.

med_gallery_17883_3001_399655.jpgrmweb373trees19

sandwich bag

med_gallery_17883_3001_301314.jpgrmweb374trees20

small pot of water

med_gallery_17883_3001_17308.jpgrmweb375trees21

the trunk

and some water added to stop it drying to fast and leave it workable

med_gallery_17883_3001_425972.jpgrmweb376trees22

as you can see i have followed my own advice you can just see the green wires at the moment

and a break to scarf some food!!!!

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Ok ok keep yer hair on..... :jester:

starting on the roots.......little bits are more controllable, you just dampen them to help them meld together

med_gallery_17883_3001_165060.jpgrmweb368trees24

med_gallery_17883_3001_183730.jpgrmweb368trees24

I'm going as fast as I can.......Im not superman. :superman: only superwoman

• Like 1