Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Yep, the more reply option, offers a preview window in which you cannot edit, it has caught me out a number of times, there is another window down below where you CAN edit.

If it is. A long post it is easy to not see it unless, the light bulb above your head dings and yo remember your mistake and scroll down to the edit window

• RMweb Premium

That's looking great Jaz. Very SCRuffey 
In a rake of wagons or vans there would be all degree of varying weathering depending on the time each wagon received it's last overhaul.. It would not be unusual to find freshly painted or new ones (where the under frame would be black) in with decrepit vintage vehicles still wearing the last companies livery.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

I have just ordered a bunch nem kadee of various lengths and a starter pack containing a selection of 140 range and 158, so that I can see about converting a bunch of stock away from the tension lock couplings.

Hopefully they should be here next week and I will let you all know how I get on.

I can see vi trains locos are going to be a challenge, why on earth do they use the strange arrangement?......

If anyone has any knowledge on fitting Kadee's to vi trains, please speak up.

Morning all, Jaz that wagon looks really good, how many times have I and probably countless others walked past the bins at Shows and Toy Fairs with wagons like that for a couple of quid each, NO MORE your all behind me in the queue from now on.

More pics please.

Andy :sungum:

• Like 2

this  (i.e. our) 12t, has a strange 'footplate' on it, and as we don't know what to call it, and Kal trawled through literally hundreds of pictures last night trying to find an example for me.

I plan to try the Artists mask trick on it, done so well by Northern Maiden below.  I think her take on rust is just about the best I have seen

gallery_6828_101_38623.jpgPainted by Northern Maiden

Kal is donating a bunch of EWS that 'never were' for me to try out on. This 8 plank has a small area of metal, but probably not enough to try this great technique. I plan to make them NCBs. For our coal mine...which is now all boxed back up and relegated to the old loft area. I will just add the weathering powder and scoot off and get some pictures of mine. And acquire a suitable steamer on the way if I am lucky.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

I have been trying to file down a Kadee NEM 20 to fit the Vitrains 47, and it was a bit floppy, so I cut the key end off the tension loop and CA'd it to the filed down kadee, Once it has dried i will see how it works.

I have some photos I will post later.

Does anyone know where you can purchase spares for Vitrains these days, I want to buy some more of there terrible couplings, just incase I ever flog the converted ones, or need to run it on someone else layout without kadees

Think I've done something similar with cutting a dovetail into the kadee then it's height adjustable too, works fine with mine so far.

I have been trying to file down a Kadee NEM 20 to fit the Vitrains 47, and it was a bit floppy, so I cut the key end off the tension loop and CA'd it to the filed down kadee, Once it has dried i will see how it works.

I have some photos I will post later.

• Like 3

Another Question on VI Trains

Does anyone know, how the buffers are constructed? while working I found a buffer on my workbench :O  and on checking the others seem to be spring loaded. When I put it back in, it does not stay put and so I believe I am missing a spring and...something else?

We have searched the floor etc, but it seems the carpet monster may have had an early lunch.

So ideas on spares, or alternative would be most welcome.

Edited by Kal

Hi Kal,

(What? - my edit(?) bar is clear and not greyed out! How come! I should be happy but I'm not)

Sorry. The issue with Vi trains looks like it might be very frustrating. Might it be worth a *status* shout to appeal to the RMweb masses? There are experts who don't see AV, (I know,, hardly credible)

Hi Kal,

(What? - my edit(?) bar is clear and not greyed out! How come! I should be happy but I'm not)

Sorry. The issue with Vi trains looks like it might be very frustrating. Might it be worth a *status* shout to appeal to the RMweb masses? There are experts who don't see AV, (I know,, hardly credible)

Really.... :O    :blum:

Yep I thought I would try here first while googling. Second step would be to try and find a previous thread and add a question to that.

Failing that I will just ebay them, less hassle than starting a new topic outside of the Layout forum  :beee:

Edited by Kal
  • Like 2

Jaz, Jaz,  ..............................   you will just have to go and follow the Dog  .............................   or   ............

How else will you "Mend the Fence" with Kal, over all that bad Language    ...............................................     :scratchhead:    .........................................................................    ................................................................

...........................................................................................    Eeerr  .........................................................................................................................................  Oh yes, OK you won't need the piece of fence  ........  :jester:  :no:   :jester:

Actually all you need is an old Sieve and a water tap   .................................................    and plenty of room outside   ...........   :O

Hmm J,  are you speaking from experience  :jester:   you crabsters got up to some odd stuff :tomato:

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1

As promised

being pulled by a bought weathered 03

med_gallery_17883_3119_640321.jpgrmweb611wagon15

with some real coal added, a worker must plan to drop this large lump off as he passes his back garden on the railway!!!

As you can see it has been raining

med_gallery_17883_3119_103994.jpgrmweb612wagon16

not only has it rained but the sun is now out any moment now a gentle rise of moisture should appear as the sun heats the moisture

med_gallery_17883_3119_561882.jpgrmweb613wagon17

the couplings will be removed by Kal so I have not bother painting them.

med_gallery_17883_3119_541641.jpgrmweb614wagon18

the chassis needs some weathering as well....

Ok I took the wagon upstairs to photograph it, and as a camera never lies, I found to my horror far too many glimpses of yellow. So some work will need to be added, but for now this is where I am

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 8

dt The other side

Some showing the layout so the yellow (which has not been sorted yet, but is no longer in yer face) is not so noticeable

This pictures shows i need to sort the tunnels

med_gallery_17883_3119_312421.jpgrmweb615wagon19

Checking it is ok to send it through on its way to the Heritage line.

med_gallery_17883_3119_12715.jpgrmweb616wagon20

all set

med_gallery_17883_3119_85440.jpgrmweb617wagon21

• Like 4

Jaz:

The step - sole-bar - is unusual. It's almost as though the wagon was married to a brake-van chassis... Strange

edit: Forgive me for not trawling back, but what is the origin of this wagon? - a Railroad break-down crane/train or something like that? The only reason for the sole-bar is to allow some sort of access by persons from the trackside. So... ?

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 1

Brass0four

I think it is a fantasy wagon, we certainly can't find a match at the moment.

dt and Kal are chatting on the phone, and discussing whether it is vintage enough to have been pulled by horses, and men stood on the 'step' as it was pulled then dismounted to un hitch the horse(s)

Brass0four

I think it is a fantasy wagon, we certainly can't find a match at the moment.

dt and Kal are chatting on the phone, and discussing whether it is vintage enough to have been pulled by horses, and men stood on the 'step' as it was pulled then dismounted to un hitch the horse(s)

Not impossible, but it has a sort of standardish look. The older caudron(sp?) wagons and similar look quite antique, lacking dual-braking, etc. I think it might be a toy (I don't use that in a derogatory way). With Thomas, etc, old mouldings are sometimes used to get more life out of them. I guess the main thing is at this stage is that it gives you - or anyone - the opportunity to perfect your skills, although I know, personally, that while we are engaged in the process it has a sort of vital life that we don't like to dismiss. :)

Edited by Brass0four

post-4901-0-60492700-1391869724.jpgJaz:

I got nothing from my (made up word) caudron. I Google imaged old coal wagons.

They're nothing like yours! But are standard(ish) The *tapered-body wagon is the sort I was trying t describe with that word. They do have the more limited brake-gear demonstrable for the era.

Sheesh! I think I'm wasting your time here!

*I meant the curved end.

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 1

Hi

It is a running board not the sole bar. The sole bar is the top of the chassis running length ways on which the body sits, I say this only to let you know what I have learnt not to be clever with anyone.

Running Boards in more recent times tend to be seen on brake wagons and shunting wagons, so that people can ride on the wagon.

In earlier times it is possible that they were used in collieries when pit ponies were used to drag the wagons to the main sidings, so that the person coupling / marshalling the wagon could ride on the side.

Not found any photo graphic evidence though.

As it was a cheap , it could be that the manufacturer just had one chassis for all wagons and so made it so it that way so it could also be used with brake wagons.

Edited by Kal