Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Just a wild thought, probably wont work, but would it be possible to hammer a thickish nail in the end of the piece of wood, as centrally as possible, then insert said nail & wood into the dremel and turn it with say a file or something, as you would a lathe? Shoot me down if its a daft idea?? :hunter:

Dave

Sounds a reasonable idea, i will give it a try, next time.

• RMweb Premium

How about clamping the Dremel to the table with two clamps. Good to know all digits still intact BTW.

Don't think I ever came across a scratch built water crane/column/pump before so sit back and enjoy a well earned glass or two because it's top notch modeling in my opinion.

Squatch.

I was discussing the little figure I repainted, and decided to show how I did it

Take a Hornby child figure

med_gallery_17883_3112_52459.jpgrmweb1766figure1

front and back no magic tricks....

med_gallery_17883_3112_225825.jpgrmweb1767figures2

paint the legs black

med_gallery_17883_3112_364370.jpgrmweb1768figure3

I also added some latex to her hair and lengthened it....at the back....the picture is so out of focus it is no good...sorry...

last time I painted her white then pink, but I was too lazy to get off my bum, so I painted her red

med_gallery_17883_3112_26614.jpgrmweb1769figure4

and quickly added some white and mixed it on the figure

med_gallery_17883_3112_208035.jpgrmweb1770figure5

I painted the hair ochre, and used white for highlights (i the morning it is a tad too white...I will adjust it probably with a hint of yellow) Never ever paint a blond just yellow though, white, ochre, light brown all work well. darkened roots a possibility... :angel: even on real blonds. My eldest son has dishwater blond hair, but if he goes out in the sun it quickly turns a much nicer colour.

added some dots and painted the hands black for gloves

med_gallery_17883_3112_81527.jpgrmweb1771figure6

Da...daaaaa...........

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just a wild thought, probably wont work, but would it be possible to hammer a thickish nail in the end of the piece of wood, as centrally as possible, then insert said nail & wood into the dremel and turn it with say a file or something, as you would a lathe? Shoot me down if its a daft idea?? :hunter:

Dave

Isn't this how Al, acg_mr does it?

Edited by ChrisN

• RMweb Premium

There are some great pictures of Goathland during the first days of the NYMR halfway down Thispage

Here is one of those pics which shows the original water column at the end of the down platform. 

Seeing as I just can't live with the Hornby offering as it stands now that we have noticed it's all wrong I've attacked mine with a Stanley knife and razor saw more on this over on my thread shortly.
post-8964-0-89086400-1399672589.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch

There are some great pictures of Goathland during the first days of the NYMR halfway down Thispage

Here is one of those pics which shows the original water column at the end of the down platform. 

Seeing as I just can't live with the Hornby offering as it stands now that we have noticed it's all wrong I've attacked mine with a Stanley knife and razor saw more on this over on my thread shortly.

attachicon.gifpost-6751-12598505372083_thumb.jpg

I like the green version of the station.

On a side note, after a certain posters issues (although he of course does exhibitions and magazine articles, whereas we are just a forum thread) I hereby wish to make it clear that our Goathland is set in present day, and only has older time flavours though the filming company that operates on AV. And as such, by having the 'red' version of the buildings this does not make us in any way inaccurate.......... Jusy in case a certain woman decides to point out our inaccuracies.  :jester:

Due to the imminent arrival of visitors.....next weekend.......I have hoovered the loft, now this might not sound too hard a task, but I had to get down on all fours and inspect the floor and under the layout tables carefully 4 or 8 foot at a time....before hoovering in case i hoovered up any lost bits.....I think I may have found a handrail.......and we have carefully stored it in case....otherwise it is just a junk piece of metal. A couple of easily replaced track joining parts in metal and plastic were found, but otherwise....you can see the carpet floor again!!! Which is a rarity since we started this PIR version. I also investigated some of the rubbish in boxes under the layout and found some oddments that I have been searching for, small modelling packets, which should appear on the layout before too long.

Anyway the loft is tidy on the table under the tables, and is looking ready to be invaded. LOL.

• RMweb Premium

I had to get down on all fours and inspect the floor and under the layout tables carefully 4 or 8 foot at a time....before hoovering in case i hoovered up any lost bits.....

Anyway the loft is tidy on the table under the tables, and is looking ready to be invaded. LOL.

Lucky you didn't get gobbled up by the carpet monster really! :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

I have not got this months copy of BRM so have not read the letter, (in fact I tend not to read them anyway), but I am sure if anyone popped up here and started saying such things your regular posters would react in support.

attachicon.gifpost-6751-12598505372083_thumb.jpg

Sasquatch..............

LOL.....Kal says...........if you plan to improve your Goathland area of your layout we may have to BAN YOU from our thread   :jester:  :jester:  

....... we had to rip out our layout once already to try to get it closer to your standard.  :crazy:..  :crazy:.

..........and then you say you plan to improve it.......   :swoon:   :swoon:

• Like 1

Jaz,

I have not got this months copy of BRM so have not read the letter, (in fact I tend not to read them anyway), but I am sure if anyone popped up here and started saying such things your regular posters would react in support.

The last time we got into a serious bunfight someone criticised my waterfall!!!!!!!!! Said I had made it with cotton wool. At the time it was my most prized piece of modelling  (it still is probably) and this guy kept poking at our layout (have to say though a lot of what he said made sense and pushed us to improve what we were doing) but anyway. Everyone piled in.

dt started a hilarious joke...which blossomed as people added to it. We even discussed putting him in stocks on the layout. At that time I had not considered giving friends their own mini-me's. Otherwise we could have really had fun with it. He actually pm'ed me when we stopped posting, and asked us to reconsider saying we would be missed. He was an excellent 'opponent' and his criticism was often absolutely right, at least regards our layout. I miss his willingness to point out that he thought something might be improved. I often spent a couple of hours peeved, whilst my brain looked hard at what I had done....then improved it....often with those elements that he had mentioned. I asked him to come on here, but I think he thought he would be battered and bruised in no time at all. His confrontational  manner had built over a period of time on our last forum, he was aware that going on to a new forum with his shooting from the hip was likely to get him shot down in flames. A shame. He was good at noticing items that could be successfully tweaked.

On the subject of mini-me's if any of our other posters feel they would still like to have one with or without an animal familiar LOL, feel free to pm me to discuss.We will be exploring the home issue as well. So a character has a mini-me, a companion and a vehicular mode of transport and a home....some home will be due to get gardens etc. So I will ask for chumps....I mean volunteers when I get to that.......... I daresay a certain some one is already hoping to get a Dr Who the Tardis and a companion.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

It is the confrontational bit that is the problem, along with the pedant.  It is very difficult to offer direct criticism on the web as you do not pick up the tone of voice etc., which is why smileys are so useful. :yes:

Also, unless you have done something better or have had experience of what you are talking about then it is very difficult to say anything, although I know that does not stop some people.  If you have information that the other person does not have, i.e. the colour of cows in Rutland on 4th May 1932, then it is always better to say it at the beginning.  It depends on what you are trying to achieve.

It is supposed to be fun, it is not a matter of life and death, IT IS MORE IMPORTANT than that!  :jester:

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1

Hi Jaz / Kal

Some more nice modelling I see. That's some feat recreating that water crane, but by the looks of things the stress was well worth the effort. How many bottles of wine did it take. LOL.

Sorry been another busy week but I see Mick gave you the answers to the queries on the pictures.

Cheers for now

Marcus

• Like 1

Jaz,

It is the confrontational bit that is the problem, along with the pedant.  It is very difficult to offer direct criticism on the web as you do not pick up the tone of voice etc., which is why smileys are so useful. :yes:

Also, unless you have done something better or have had experience of what you are talking about then it is very difficult to say anything, although I know that does not stop some people.  If you have information that the other person does not have, i.e. the colour of cows in Rutland on 4th May 1932, then it is always better to say it at the beginning.  It depends on what you are trying to achieve.

It is supposed to be fun, it is not a matter of life and death, IT IS MORE IMPORTANT than that!  :jester:

Have I missed something. I've seen various posts relating to this and something about a letter in BRM.

At the end of the day Modelling is a hobby and as long as it brings you enjoyment that's all that matters. Not what somebody else thinks.

At the end of the day AV is at 5268 posts because a lot of people enjoy what Jaz and Kal do but also because it's a friendly place to come for a bit of banter. Long May it continue.

Some people take it far to seriously. Like it or not whatever level a layout is, it's still playing with toy trains!!!!

Think I better get my coat and tin hat after that last sentence.

Taxi.........

Marcus

Have I missed something. I've seen various posts relating to this and something about a letter in BRM.

At the end of the day Modelling is a hobby and as long as it brings you enjoyment that's all that matters. Not what somebody else thinks.

At the end of the day AV is at 5268 posts because a lot of people enjoy what Jaz and Kal do but also because it's a friendly place to come for a bit of banter. Long May it continue.

Some people take it far to seriously. Like it or not whatever level a layout is, it's still playing with toy trains!!!!

Think I better get my coat and tin hat after that last sentence.

Taxi.........

Marcus

It is not us that got targeted.

Poor Andy P was the target in question. But he asked people to not continue on his thread. So I skewed it and carried on here, so as to not upset him, when he has aked people to not continue it on his thread..... As he said he was feeling much more 'vulnerable' as the stinker who is meant to be buying his house is messing him about still. So he mojo was being clubbed on two fronts.

I suspect a certain person deserves to end up in little (00) pieces...with his bones kept and used as modelling parts, carved so as to not to be recognisable.....I should have suggested it (very tongue in cheek) as a solution to his angst..... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  Very film NOIR....... Be afraid...very afraid.... :scared:  :scared:  :scared: LOL.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

But as your (Marcus37) around....   :angel:

msg-18515-0-91245900-1399235011.jpg courtesy of Marcus37
Mile post wooden

What are these used for, anyone? And of course I mean between what two points is the marker referring to?

AND

is this one similar?

msg-18515-0-13171600-1399235293.jpg 
Mile post concrete

But as your (Marcus37) around....   :angel:

msg-18515-0-91245900-1399235011.jpg courtesy of Marcus37Mile post wooden

What are these used for, anyone? And of course I mean between what two points is the marker referring to?

AND

is this one similar?

msg-18515-0-13171600-1399235293.jpg Mile post concrete

Hi Jaz

Just off to the local model shop. I will reply later when I'm a bit more awake. Should get a response that makes sense then LOL. Didn't finish till 05:30 this morning. Still a bit bleary eyed.

Speak later.

Marcus

med_gallery_17883_3001_493822.jpgmed_gallery_17883_3001_493822.jpgrmweb1774heartbeat3

bus shelters, speed signs (the poles need a paint) telephone boxes, bus signs, letter boxes...all are sneaking back onto the layout, picket fencing

flower planters, sun dials,

med_gallery_17883_3001_475270.jpgrmweb1775heartbeat4

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Sasquatch..............

LOL.....Kal says...........if you plan to improve your Goathland area of your layout we may have to BAN YOU from our thread   :jester:    

....... we had to rip out our layout once already to try to get it closer to your standard.  :crazy:.

..........and then you say you plan to improve it.......   :swoon:  

...................well you do keep pointing out all these details I missed.......

Seriously though I rushed it to get it ready for the local show here and have never considered it finished. Once I got the trains running all work stopped! :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: 

• Like 1