Hornby announce RRP reductions on some forthcoming rolling stock items

Andy Y

R6638 / R6638A BR 12 Ton Fish Van (Original RRP £16.49)

421052.jpg

421059.jpg

R6624 BR 12 Ton Fish Van x 3 pack (Original RRP £48.49)

421051.jpg

421059.jpg

R6639 BR 12 Ton SPV A Parcels Van (Original RRP £16.49)

421053.jpg

421059.jpg

R6640 / R6640A LMS 4 Wheel CCT Van (Original RRP £18.99)

421054.jpg

421059.jpg

R6641 / R6641A BR 4 Wheel CCT Van (Original RRP £18.99)

421054.jpg

421059.jpg

R6642 GWR Shunters Truck - Acton (Original RRP £13.49)

421056.jpg

421059.jpg

R6642A GWR Shunters Truck - Gloucester (Original RRP £13.49)

421055.jpg

421059.jpg

R6643 BR Shunters Truck - Reading Central (Original RRP £13.49)

421058.jpg

421059.jpg

R6643A BR Shunters Truck - Park Royal (Original RRP £13.49)

421057.jpg

421059.jpg

R4350 BR Mk1 Corridor Composite Coach - BR Maroon

R4351 BR Mk1 Corridor Second Coach - BR Maroon

R4352 BR Mk1 Corridor Brake Second - BR Maroon (Original RRP £20.95 each)

421032.jpg

421059.jpg

R4353 BR Mk1 Corridor Composite Coach - BR Chocolate & Cream

R4354 BR Mk1 Corridor Second Coach - BR Chocolate & Cream

R4355 BR Mk1 Corridor Brake Second - BR Chocolate & Cream (Original RRP £20.95 each)

421033.jpg

There are reductions on other PO wagons; full details here - http://www.Hornby.com/news/revised-Hornby-prices-for-2013/?utm_campaign=Hornby_Newsletter_173385_Issue_73&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=CM_hornby

That's good news and the new prices look good value - it means that ordinary shops and the 'full price' retailers will charge at that level. I wonder if there will still be the clamour that if the RRP is down 20% then people will expect to find further substantial discounts? Hatton's website still shows the Shunter's wagons as available to pre-order at £12 (presumably they haven't had time to revise their price yet), so the new RRP is below this!

• RMweb Premium

They still insist in selling the "old" style wagons with huge moulded couplings at the same price as the ones with NEM style pockets.

IMHO those should be consigned to the Railroad range.

Keith

I hope the new wagons and vans sell well at these revised prices. They might then represent a small step towards claiming a greater share of this segment of the RTR market for Hornby, one which Hornby have largely ignored for many years, apart from a few honourable exceptions.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting news in the light of the known sharp rises in costs coming through from China.

What fat is left to trim off the end-to-end supply chain?

Wonderful to see Hornby competing with Bachmann on 'pocket money' priced items at last. Hopefully this will be the start of Hornby's revival in fortunes in this segment of the market with modellers. It certainly makes the 'Railroad' Mk1's more interesting.

• RMweb Premium

They are not exactly hard to chop off to replace with something proper though.....

But why should you?

These are relatively old designs which, if were a loco, would have been "demoted" years ago.

They don't deserve being in the main range alongside, IMHO, much superior products.

Keith

It's a good step by the new management.  I too echo the comments on here and hope this starts to revive Hornby's flagging fortunes.  Apart from retail price, it needs to get to grips with the supply chain problems it's been experiencing for the past 3 years or so to ensure that it can supply all its retailers and satisfy customer demand.

The MkI new price-point really makes my 'WCML and ECML diversions' rakes much more feasible.  Ditto the fish consist which was always going to be in multiples of threes, and the LMS van whose underframe in early engineering shots was decidedly underwhelming.  This is a good move.

• RMweb Gold

But why should you?

These are relatively old designs which, if were a loco, would have been "demoted" years ago.

They don't deserve being in the main range alongside, IMHO, much superior products.

Keith

Unfortunately, if Hornby were to move all their 'old school' wagons to the Railroad category, the main range wouldn't fill much of the catalogue.

For far too long, they have (with the odd notable exception slipped in to show us what they CAN do if they try) more or less left the market for quality steam era wagons to Bachmann and newer ones to everybody!

I, for one look forward to much more activity in this area under the new regime. 

John

• RMweb Gold

New brooms sweep clean. Let's hope this is just the start of a revival of fortune.

Heartily agree Ian - I've heard that another product area on the railway side is in line for reductions in order to improve the competitive situation but I doubt the area concerned will be of much interest to the vast majority of members of RMweb if it turns out to be correct.  This news is however far more important for the competitive position and future of the range especially as it includes new vehicles, a welcome step towards common sense marketing in my view.  And I'm sure that in some cases - such as the Mk1 coaches - it does not reflect poor advance orders from the trade.

I think one thing we should keep in mind is that Hornby is clearly interested in direct sales via its online presence and this sort of re-pricing will make them more competitive - not necessarily a bad thing because as others have already observed it will also make them more competitive on the toyshop shelves as well.  However I suspect those who will be looking for deep discounts off these prices might not be so lucky because if someone is going for sales volume instead of straight profit returns they are going to have to shift even more to reach their turnover and profit targets.

• RMweb Premium

Well this is an interesting development, obviously Hornby not only reckon they can make money on the models at this price but that it's the best price to pitch the model at. I wonder if the return to moulded on details (albeit a better class of moulded on details) has made the lower pricing viable. Good news either way. I'm a bit of a fan of moulded on rather than separately applied; it can be finer, straighter and squarer than some of the stuck on stuff.

Wonderful that Hornby are selling wagons for £8.00 list price.

Presumably the idea is to try and sell more volume as opposed to profit margins, so am I the only one wondering if we are going to see a return to separately fitted detail to a high standard like Bachmann/Dapol do with Hornby matching them on price?  

• RMweb Gold

Quote from latest Kernow newsletter -

Hornby have reduced their prices on unreleased 2013 coaches and wagons! They have been looking at various alternative manufacturers and during the process they have been able to reassess the costs of certain models, which has resulted in an overall price decrease on certain items. The following items have therefore had their prices decreased! If you have made a pre-order for any of these models the price will automatically be amended to the new lower price.

From this it appears that Hornby have found someone to make them cheaper.

Archived