Show us your scratchbuilt building

Hi Richard,

thanks for your favourable comments, 'The brickwork' nothing fancy, in this case an initial coat of Humbrol no64 for the mortar followed by semi dry brushing with no 70 brick red at a 45degree angle with a flat brush, two coats.

Dry brush weathering on the finish once all is dry, I sometimes vary the colour of the mortar colour under window sills under gutters and at base of buildings just to get a sense of realism.

One extremely important thing to bare in mind is that the overall colour of a painted brick surface is more emphasised by the mortar colour not the brick colour, its worth experimenting to see this.

In the past I have tried to alter the brick colour too much but if you change the colour of the mortar what a difference it can make :-)

Hi AlanT,

many thanks for your comments.

Peter

• Informative/Useful 1

Here is Brent 'Goods Shed' 4mm,

this is an accurate model of the shed including the interior in as much as was possible, the windows are etched frames, fabricated from the walls sections are  'Plasticard as a cladded shell with brass channel.

post-1241-0-79579700-1453802709_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-03783500-1453802744_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-08652800-1453802765_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Hi Richard,

thanks for your favourable comments, 'The brickwork' nothing fancy, in this case an initial coat of Humbrol no64 for the mortar followed by semi dry brushing with no 70 brick red at a 45degree angle with a flat brush, two coats.

Dry brush weathering on the finish once all is dry, I sometimes vary the colour of the mortar colour under window sills under gutters and at base of buildings just to get a sense of realism.

One extremely important thing to bare in mind is that the overall colour of a painted brick surface is more emphasised by the mortar colour not the brick colour, its worth experimenting to see this.

In the past I have tried to alter the brick colour too much but if you change the colour of the mortar what a difference it can make :-)

Hi AlanT,

many thanks for your comments.

Peter

Thanks I will trying it out soon, didn't realize mortar was light grey art first, but can see it now

Richard

Here is Brent 'Goods Shed' 4mm,

this is an accurate model of the shed including the interior in as much as was possible, the windows are etched frames, fabricated from the walls sections are  'Plasticard as a cladded shell with brass channel.

Hi Peter,

Goods shed looks great. Thanks for the advice on brickwork painting, I use an almost identical method in 7mm scale but pick out the odd brick with a lighter or darker shade of Humbrol 70 after dry brushing.

What colour(s) do you use for the slates, this is one area I struggle with at times?

Thanks,

Alan.

PS I am the one sharing an office with Gary !

A selection of my scratch built buildings...

As so many times before, I laid the track, played with the trains and then decided it would be good to have some buildings!  Lifted the track and started planning again with model buildings for Port Appin, a Scottish harbour layout.  Inspired by Allan Downes and others I got carried away with the modelling! I can't believe I'm now scratch building 4mm sash windows with up to 20 parts.  Thank goodness for Optivisor.

Due later this year will probably be either a small fish processing plant or a distillery building and the new Hornby Peckett is earmarked to make its debut.  All I have to do now is fathom out how to realistically embed rail into a road as prototyped Weymouth/Aberdeen.

Pic 1   The harbour site before the buildings were planned.

Pic 2   A fish quay scene.  The MacBraynes building is loose laid (Based on Tobermory).  New harbour site to be constructed with rail siding.

Pic 3   The Crinan Canal/MacBraynes harbour buildings (Based on Ardrishaig).

Pic 4   Pier Head.  Based on Southend, Stromness, Orkney

Pic 5   Ronnies Garage, Ardrishaig.

Pic 6   The harbour side row of cottages will end with the old barn (Based on a building on Lismore)

Pic 7   The Arndale Centre.  Based on shops in Millport, Gt. Cumbrae).

Pic 8   Hotel and annex based on house in Campbeltown and the Kilberry Inn, Argyllshire.

At this stage none of the buildings are permanently fixed.

Hope these are of interest.

Stuart

Superb Stuart, superb. Just so atmospheric and beautifully observed too.

Cheers

Dave 

Edited by Waverley West

Here are some village buildings designed to run from the rear (left of the group) towards the front (right of the group) of the layout, hence built to a slight perspective and designed to be viewed somewhat obliquely.  I have yet to decide what the shop should sell, so the interior has not yet been detailed.  

post-25673-0-10682700-1455007753_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-43934300-1455007802_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-27048200-1455007820.jpg

• Like 7