Farnley Burton - No Progress, but I am building a house

freebs

I started this layout nearly three years ago... it started life as a board to put my son's Hornby trackmat on... I got carried away and extended it horizontally and vertically... it got ridiculous, so I took it apart and made a new, bigger table....

I laid out a station, put in a couple of carriage sidings and planned a high level track. I even built about 5ft of Scalescenes retaining wall, which I then decided I didn't like, so I pulled it out.

I changed my mind about the high level and turned it into an elongated figure of 8 which would run over a curved viaduct at the end of the layout, but I was having trouble getting the curve to flow across the space I had, so this all came out. To my son's dismay I took all the track up again and started to lay it out again, but then got sidetracked modelling buildings which has occupied the last 5 months...

...this week I had a day off, so following the previous weekend's track laying progress I cracked on again and fitted two main lines.

Now, this isn't modelling a prototype, it's not a particular location and it most certainly is not following any normal kind of track layout, it's purely and primarily a layout for my son and daughter (and yes, of course, me) to play trains on. But.. it's also a layout to hone my modelling skills on. I intend on making the best buildings I can, and I'm going to pay a lot of attention to the scenery, and it's hoped - the kids will help too - my daughter is itching to make something.

The one thing I have thought about, is the location - whilst not historically and geographically accurate, I'm basing it in West Yorkshire, a medium sized town under the auspices of the LMS  -the name comes from an amalgamation of the two villages we live between :)

It's also roughly set in the early 60s in the transition era so a lot of grime and soot on the buildings.. 

post-15693-0-52275800-1378417646.jpg

This is an overview of the layout in the garage at this point I was struggling with the curves on the mainline - the initial track laying was too tight - trains derailed on the outer curve and collided on bends

post-15693-0-92838200-1378417697.jpg

this is the start of the easing out of the curves

post-15693-0-27147100-1378417821.jpg

playing with additional lines here - a branchline running off, and in the foreground a possible high level track (I don't want it all flat earth)

post-15693-0-13181900-1378417951.jpg

This is a shot of the opposite side of the station - initial thoughts were two storage sidings, but after trying out track tonight, I'm beginning to think about a third platform, a bay, seeing as this line links up with the branchline.

post-15693-0-94360000-1378417953.jpg

post-15693-0-21382400-1378417956.jpg

post-15693-0-61519300-1378417958.jpg

views up the platforms (temporary structures)

post-15693-0-66642500-1378417960.jpg

a Shot of the station lines with the signal box in the foreground

post-15693-0-09433400-1378417963.jpg

A photo of the station building I've been working on in situ temporarily

Some time ago, I was working on a new (to me) techique for making stone structures and built a couple of tunnel portals so tonight, I had a test run to see if they'd fit the new track layout, and yes they do!

post-15693-0-13755300-1378418255.jpg

post-15693-0-68263900-1378418257.jpg

post-15693-0-93456300-1378418259.jpg

so, that's where I am with this. It's a bit of a mess at the moment, but the important thing for my son, is that I've got two lines temporarily wired in so he can at least play trains while I think of the next plan of action.

The station will fit trains of 5 coaches (although it takes up a lot of room) so the next stage is to mark out where the new platforms are going to go, and make a start on building these. Then it's on to soldering in droppers for the power feeds (it's a DC layout, but I want to make it as electrically connected as possible) before I can have a go at my first ever bit of ballasting..

Edited by freebs
  • Like 7

A fascinating glimpse into your putative empire! I'm following. This will be fun to watch grow, and I am sure Cameron will be pleased with the state of affairs. His imagination will fill in the gaps while you catch up. It's looking great, especially your super buildings.

cheers,

Iain

Those buildings look absolutely gorgeous even on your naked layout.

The glare from the white paint wrecks some of the pictures though, I would suggest going out and buying a tub of chocolate suede dulux and slap it on the places where you will plan to put the scenery. It will not only kill the glare, but it is a fine colour to pop grass on top of, and it looks nice on the areas where you need walking areas, it gives like a nice fine gritty finish. As you are slapping it on use a second smaller brush to add a little black (a small tester pot will do nicely)for a touch of weathering when the two colours mix together rather than painting on dry you get sme nice effects, having seen your colouring on the buildings I am sure you can manage a touch of weathering.... :blum:

Check out the DIYs for some damaged insulating foam (cheaper). When colouring get 3 old kitchen spray bottles, mix a grey a brown and a thin black, try mixing them on newspaper then full throttle, Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, just a little push for some pretty picture. Thsat lovely big window will help you get some great pictures when your further down the road, I prefer those taken at dusk for the shadows.

As Iain says looking forward to watching the progression.

• 1 month later...

Hi Iain, 

apologies, I've only just seen this as I've not followed my own thread!

The tunnel portals are all scratch built in the same way as my buildings - I blogged about it here: http://www.lnrmodels.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/another-tunnel.html

and a bit here:

http://www.lnrmodels.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/now-with-added-wings.html

and a bit here too:

http://www.lnrmodels.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/ok-i-spent-weekend-finishing-off.html

and here was the first foray into the world of foamex scribing:

http://www.lnrmodels.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/scribing-scalpels-and-foamex.html

Those buildings look absolutely gorgeous even on your naked layout.

The glare from the white paint wrecks some of the pictures though, I would suggest going out and buying a tub of chocolate suede dulux and slap it on the places where you will plan to put the scenery. It will not only kill the glare, but it is a fine colour to pop grass on top of, and it looks nice on the areas where you need walking areas, it gives like a nice fine gritty finish. As you are slapping it on use a second smaller brush to add a little black (a small tester pot will do nicely)for a touch of weathering when the two colours mix together rather than painting on dry you get sme nice effects, having seen your colouring on the buildings I am sure you can manage a touch of weathering.... :blum:

Check out the DIYs for some damaged insulating foam (cheaper). When colouring get 3 old kitchen spray bottles, mix a grey a brown and a thin black, try mixing them on newspaper then full throttle, Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, just a little push for some pretty picture. Thsat lovely big window will help you get some great pictures when your further down the road, I prefer those taken at dusk for the shadows.

As Iain says looking forward to watching the progression.

Cheers Jaz

as you might be able to glean from the images, it's a bit early stages yet - I only started 3 years ago!!!!!

I've kind of gone around it backwards and should really have fixed the garage up first, but I take on board your comment there. First stopp is to try and remove the condensation issue I'm getting from the steel roof before I get to the walls. The entire layout is under plastic sheeting at the moment :(

Aw, cheers fella. I was contemplating dry brushing with Sandstone colour to try and reduce the blackening a bit! I think I'll have to go and blacken the tunnel portals up a bit more when they're in situ - they look cleaner than the station now

Thanks for the info. Lee.Your foamex  walling looks really good I really like your idea of using Random Ashlar Scalescenes printout as a template for marking out the stonework.When and if I ever get round to my more scenic work on my layout I'm going to need acres of retaining walls,tunnels and viaducts.This could well be the way to go.

What paints take to the foam can you use watercolours,acrylic, oils etc?

Your nippers are very lucky to have such lovely buildings on their railway!  The spirit behind it is just what I am trying to do with mine, something that will be entertaining for all to run trains on, but as detailed as my skills allow.

I reiterate Jaz's suggestion about the brown paint.  I use that under all my grassed areas.

I haven't tried watercolours, I usually use Emulsion and Acrylic. I find that a spray with a cheap primer helps first, but just as good would be a quick paint over with white emulsion. There's a slight shiny surface to the foamed that doesn't take neat paint very well, as I've found!

I plan to scribe all stonework, but am wondering if I might be biting off more than I can chew. Certainly cladding with paper is fast work (but I don't like the flatness) and covering with embossed plastic sheeting is quicker, with great results (but very expensive for large areas)

Spray first then acrylics seems the way forward then.What I really like is this stuff comes in large sheets therefore no joints as with Wills sheets etc.I was thinking of scribing Das clay but as I said I've loads of walling to do.Think I'll give both methods a go and see which I prefer.I'll definitely give the scalescenes print out idea a go it should work with either method.

Edited by iainp

Definitely yes - we get loads of offcuts of the foamex stuff at work - I'm currently making platform sides from a single 2.4m long sheet of 3mm foamex. It's a lot of scribing, but is seamless and looks good when painted up. I'll see if I can get a photo with the camera phone

• Like 2

OK, a little bit of scribing going on here;

first pic is the long 2.4m sheet of 3mm foamex, onto which I've marked a 16mm tall strip. I've then divided this into 4 big courses of stone and commenced scribing

The  horizontal lines were initially marked out with a scalpel and then with the aid of a transparent set square, vertical courses scribed in with the tip of a dart, and the horizontal lines fleshed out with the same

post-15693-0-91014200-1384356075.jpg

A 4mm wide strip of 1mm foamex is then glued on to the top course and scribed with detail. Onto this, eventually the platform surface comprising a piece of 2mm foamed will be fixed overlapping by 1-2mm. This will then be scribed with edge stones and I haven't decided yet whether to make the main surface tarmac or stone the lot...

post-15693-0-37874200-1384356077.jpg

in the above photo you can also see the makings of another row of edging underneath - I'm leaving the strips on the main sheet until all is scribed as it's easier to handle.

At this point, I may have to add 3mm to the bottom of the edge strip as I've cut a socket out of the 3mm foamex I've laid down as a cork replacement :)

so far, I'm not sure how long the platform is, so there is only one ramp cut at one end...

This is going to be slow progress, but I hope to keep you posted with updates as and when I can.

Edited by freebs

...and.... as I continue with the platform building, I'm in the mood for a building.

I've nowhere yet to put it, but I've started work on a Goods Shed...

This is the elevation plan which I've drawn up in Illustrator, then printed onto self adhesive paper, then mounted onto 2mm Foamex:

post-15693-0-78749300-1384507795.jpg

This is two parts of one of the side walls cut out  - there will be a raised section of stonework on each side and this is what these two layers represent

post-15693-0-42425500-1384507796.jpg

And here is what the two together look like:

post-15693-0-13724500-1384507797.jpg

I've started scribing the stonework now, and slow as it is, it's really very enjoyable - I just wish work didn't get in the way ;)

OK, a little bit of scribing going on here;

first pic is the long 2.4m sheet of 3mm foamex, onto which I've marked a 16mm tall strip. I've then divided this into 4 big courses of stone and commenced scribing

The  horizontal lines were initially marked out with a scalpel and then with the aid of a transparent set square, vertical courses scribed in with the tip of a dart, and the horizontal lines fleshed out with the same

attachicon.gif2013-11-13 13.08.34.jpg

A 4mm wide strip of 1mm foamex is then glued on to the top course and scribed with detail. Onto this, eventually the platform surface comprising a piece of 2mm foamed will be fixed overlapping by 1-2mm. This will then be scribed with edge stones and I haven't decided yet whether to make the main surface tarmac or stone the lot...

attachicon.gif2013-11-13 13.08.53.jpg

in the above photo you can also see the makings of another row of edging underneath - I'm leaving the strips on the main sheet until all is scribed as it's easier to handle.

At this point, I may have to add 3mm to the bottom of the edge strip as I've cut a socket out of the 3mm foamex I've laid down as a cork replacement :)

so far, I'm not sure how long the platform is, so there is only one ramp cut at one end...

This is going to be slow progress, but I hope to keep you posted with updates as and when I can.

Looking good. Are you sure you're not working in my workshop - I've got the exact same ruler and adjustable set square !!!

inner layer scribed:

(bit difficult to see on white, but here it is)

post-15693-0-94596100-1384529079_thumb.jpg

post-15693-0-72456500-1384529080_thumb.jpg

I usually build up the structure first and then scribe the stonework around it, but this time I've decided to try building up each elevation in turn, then gluing together.

The plan will be to fill the butted up edge, then scribe detail back in, thus hopefully disguising the join

Well, although it doesn't look like it, for me, a lot of progress was achieved mostly on Friday night with the scribing of one of the end walls,

Pieces have been cut and marked for the opposite long wall, with Operation Scribe 2 about to commence this evening

I test fitted a wooden lintel made from a couple of coffee stirrers laminated together and I'm pretty pleased with how that looks

post-15693-0-55051900-1384783611_thumb.jpg

*edit* the black bits on the parts is residue from the self adhesive vinyl I printed the elevations onto and left behind when I peeled it off. It should come off with a bit of lighter fluid

Edited by freebs