Farnley Burton - No Progress, but I am building a house

freebs

and here are the two pieces loosely propped together

post-15693-0-57243200-1384785540_thumb.jpg

*edit* ooh look at that - with this photo, I've gone onto 2 pages. I'm going to have a biscuit to celebrate :)

Edited by freebs
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Jack. It's nowhere as quick as sticking embossed styrene to sheets of plain styrene, but it sure is satisfying creating stonework out of nothing :)

Maybe not quicker, but the end result is looking very nice indeed, and the stone detail is just as you want it, not how Slater's / Wills want it :)

Looking good freebs.

Al.

Nice one Lee, it's looking really good - and really sturdy! :)

Hmm sturdy, not at the moment - it's just propped together, one sneeze and it all falls apart. I have it propped onto a square jig I stuck to my desk to aid lunchtime scribing :)

I've scribed another wall tonight, and I'm itching to start gluing together, but I need to paint around the window reveals and get the windows stuck in first

JUst a quick update:

I'll post in detail later, but here are some work in progress shots, featuring an interior wall!

Lee

post-15693-0-58546600-1385386185.jpgpost-15693-0-03160900-1385386191.jpg

Note the absolutely blatant rip off of Iain Robinson's brick infill repair (still a bit of touching up to do here)

Also note that the quoins on the doorway are not properly painted, I've only just filled and scribed as I glued in the internal wall.

I can't wait to get cracking on the loading dock floor!

post-15693-0-00186500-1385386198.jpg

Edited by freebs
  • Like 4

Gorgeous work, and dare I say it probably faster than mr Robinsons DAS. Have you considered trying a look alike of Iains latest wall. It would be interesting to see if it would do that type of stone.....no pressure you understand  :angel:  

And I know your busy, si not any time soon if if you considered it.

Oh and its the wall thicknesses that have made me give up on my thin walled version, either I have to try a das thicker version  :butcher:  or follow your example and use a thicker material, the 3D effect at door ways is sublime. I have to represent all doors and windows shut.

Q? Why did you add a few bricks by the window?

Edited by Jaz

Gorgeous work, and dare I say it probably faster than mr Robinsons DAS. Have you considered trying a look alike of Iains latest wall. It would be interesting to see if it would do that type of stone.....no pressure you understand  :angel:  

And I know your busy, si not any time soon if if you considered it.

Oh and its the wall thicknesses that have made me give up on my thin walled version, either I have to try a das thicker version  :butcher:  or follow your example and use a thicker material, the 3D effect at door ways is sublime. I have to represent all doors and windows shut.

Q? Why did you add a few bricks by the window?

A. Because I saw it done on Iain's latest project and just had to try it out. There's no other reason. The stonework probably wouldn't have failed just at that point, but the idea is that it has... probably caused by a load of something really heavy falling against the wall (Lord knows why the quoins survived intact) and the lazy builders just filling it with brick....

Edited by freebs
  • Like 1

This is looking really fine, Lee! The surfaces are really tight and clean, and the texture is very effective. Your glazing and windows are very impressive, too. I am pleased that you thought of the brick repair. :-)

Ref. Jaz: I don't think Das would be ideal for a structure of this type due to the time it would take filing everything flat even before scribing could begin...Das is better suited to more "organic" forms. The foamboard is mission critical on this job.

Top work, Lee!

cheers,

Iain

Cheers Iain

I think I'd have lost all my hair if I'd tried DAS on the outside AND the inside.. One of these days I will try DAS again.

Can you believe my original DAS-built station building is now dismantled and languishing unfinished in a cupboard?

Now the glazing - I have actually photographed the glazing procedure, but it's on the camera at home. Essentially, it's a similar process to what Jason does with his Cameo cutter, except I'm using a signwriting cutter (which only cuts through thin self adhesive vinyl - not plasticard -I tried ;) ) I drew up the windows in Illustrator, then ported them across to the cutting software which then very nicely drew me out lots of shapes on a piece of white self adhesive vinyl. I then sprayed it with grey primer and went over with Crimson once dry. Then I peeled out the panes and stuck the frames onto some acrylic sheet. Of course, I forgot about the inside, so the inside stays white :) The frames were then glued behind the window apertures on the outside wall and then the window is then sandwiched in with another sheet of 2mm foamed for the inner wall, giving that nice depth to the window openings.

Okay, guess which idiot glued the inner gable wall on to the exterior gable without fitting the window?

post-15693-0-35702700-1385470449.jpg

Yes, that's right, it was me :)

Well, I had to get the scalpel out and cut a square around the window opening then chisel out the top layer of foamed. This came out quite well in the end, enabling me to glue in the window. Following this I then cut out another small window opening out of 2mm foamed and super-glued it in place. Of course with the depth of the window it stood a little proud so needed sanding flush. The gaps will be filled with car body filler in layers until flush with the inner surface, then I'll sand the whole lot flush again, and hopefully be able to scribe the interior stone detail.

I can't believe I was so hasty! 

In other news, I have made a door for the loading dock and will hopefully get that painted up and glued in place soon.

Wall glued in place "ready for scribing"  ...what? Why are you not scribing it off the main building....you have skills, that's all I'm sayin'... :-)  Not wanting to be cheeky and offensive, just wondering how you manage it!

Walls and windows looking nice, by the way.

cheers,

Iain

Edited by Iain C Robinson

Wall glued in place "ready for scribing"  ...what? Why are you not scribing it off the main building....you have skills, that's all I'm sayin'... :-)  Not wanting to be cheeky and offensive, just wondering how you manage it!

Walls and windows looking nice, by the way.

cheers,

Iain

Well, it worked with the other side - see if I scribe it off the main building, chances are when I come to stick it in the courses will not line up..

I'll see if I can show you how I'm going to do it...

Ok crap photo, shot left handed with flash on phone in bad light... but...

post-15693-0-36787300-1385483554.jpg

standing up flat on its gable end, I line up the end of a metal ruler with the end of the pre-scribed long wall, and line up the top of the ruler with the horizontal courses. Then, with a scalpel, I can loosely cut in the horizontal courses along the length of the wall. I will go down the whole wall like this, then run over the cut lines with my trusty dart tip, to deepen the grooves and put a bit of a bevel on the edge of the "stones". The next bit, I'll admit, is a bit trickier, but I can then mark in the verticals freehand this time with the dart tip...

Okay, that's the wall scribed...

and given its first coat of Humbrol Acrylic 63 Sand.

post-15693-0-89028300-1385511596.jpg

I've also added in the Coffee stirrer lintel above the door. This is made from two strips of coffee stirrers, trimmed to 5mm wide, then laminated together with wood glue and sanded flat. I'll colour this with some brown ink/dye/

The area around the fix, isn't brilliant, but I think it's passable, and for an interior wall above ceiling height (once the joists are in), it's not going to really be seen.

Since this photo was taken I've washed over with my mortar colour and I'm waiting for it to dry overnight. 

Next stage, a rough dry brushing of darker detail on the stone. I figure seeing as this is inside, the stone won't be as grimy as outside. I could have gone for a white washed effect, but I fancied some natural stone. I'll probably dirty it up in places, but how dirty would the inside of a goods shed have got?

• Like 1

Gosh ! This is Brilliant ! I really love the way you integrate your windows in the wall structure. Have to find a way to do so with my technique (using 2 & 3 mm thick cellular PVC board I either carve to the wanted look or cover with plastic embossed sheets). 

Can't wait to see more !

Eric.

• Like 1